Your thoughts on law enforcement and jail?

Amellis

Just now, DasFroggy said:

Cool.

People who do that are clearly not here to roleplay, so we do not need to worry about whether they will abide the AFK timer or not. If they are found AFKing and gaming the timer, they can be punished for breaking server rules.

Just because the person doesn't want to do jail roleplay doesn't mean they are clearly "not here to roleplay" in your words. You can't put people in jail for 20 OOC days and expect them to roleplay for 20 OOC days which equals to 480 OOC hours. That's 240 days if you play 2 hours a day, mind you. What you're suggesting makes absolutely no sense until jail times are reduced to 24-48 hours maximum, but you all would be against that as well. Matter of the fact is there's already a suggestion with most of the illegal rp community supporting it, and that's the suggestion to spend a certain percentage of the jail time in-game.

5 minutes ago, RufioCas said:

Just because the person doesn't want to do jail roleplay doesn't mean they are clearly "not here to roleplay" in your words. 

Why not though? If they're willing to RP the crime that landed them there, shouldn't they RP the consequences? 

33 minutes ago, RufioCas said:

But LA street gangs are still deep despite all those bangers being locked up. I'll give you an in-game example, there's a specific gang that only has 3 people on the streets right now. You might say that's an "IC issue" but it's also an OOC issue because it essentially puts a halt to the gang's activities. Detectives locking you up on "suspicion" and having you go through a case that can take up to a month is honestly not a far fetched concept on this server. You complain about "illegal roleplay being in a poor state" while advocating to punish them more on the same thread.

Adding an AFK kick will only result in people tabbing in every now and again to throw a random /me to avoid the kick. It won't actually encourage any roleplay. This one in specific;

Is quite wrong, actually. Illegal roleplayers(the ones that're in factions) actively roleplay in jail. There are even a lot of illegal roleplayers who have dedicated lifer characters(including me).

Drive-by shootings are still a thing in LA, I don't know if you're basing anything you're saying on actual research.

Precisely, and that's poor portrayal, not an IC issue. You should be reporting that person(s).

drive by shooting, I can include a lot more articles, videos but it's real, and it happens. Do not expect people to roleplay your expectation, and paint it as "what's realistic" please.

First of all, I'm not complaining here, if anything... about RP surrounding TTCF, and I specified "As far as I know" regarding the state of the criminal scene, with that said, I know murder rate is sky high in L.A, a city with 12,5 million people living there, compared to the 100-700 players we have active. Drive-by shootings are still a thing, of course, I'm not saying they shouldn't be either, I said it happens quite a lot, once again, a reminder, "As far as I know", not every drive-by shooting is caused by gangbangers, which is the case for pretty much most of them in L.A.

So, what you're saying is Little Timmy kills Bob the builder and next day is out in the streets robbing poor Patrick star?

Of course there can be exceptions, as underage characters caught for petty crime facing different consequences, but a grown up, 24 year old decides to murder someone and that is perfectly fine because that happens IRL and he's a gangbanger?
That happening IRL means nothing, since IRL is even worse than it is in GTA:W. Once again, I'm not saying it's unrealistic, I'm saying As far as I know, it's unrealistic to the degree we have it happening.

And I say means nothing because I'm not suggestingto ban that, but merely IC actions.

Edited by Amellis
7 minutes ago, Amellis said:

First of all, I'm not complaining here, if anything... about RP surrounding TTCF, and I specified "As far as I know" regarding the state of the criminal scene, with that said, I know murder rate is sky high in L.A, a city with 12,5 million people living there, compared to the 100-700 players we have active. Drive-by shootings are still a thing, of course, I'm not saying they shouldn't be either, I said it happens quite a lot, once again, a reminder, "As far as I know", not every drive-by shooting is caused by gangbangers, which is the case for pretty much most of them in L.A.

So, what you're saying is Little Timmy kills Bob the builder and next day is out in the streets robbing poor Patrick star?

Of course there can be exceptions, as underage characters caught for petty crime facing different consequences, but a grown up, 24 year old decides to murder someone and that is perfectly fine because that happens IRL and he's a gangbanger?
That happening IRL means nothing, since IRL is even worse than it is in GTA:W. Once again, I'm not saying it's unrealistic, I'm saying As far as I know, it's unrealistic to the degree we have it happening.

I'm honestly sorry but I can't understand what you're trying to say. Are you trying to say gangs, and other factions, have to tone down the killings they have good IC excuses for because it's not 1:1 to LA murder rate? Did I understand you right? And I'm pretty sure you said it was outright unrealistic for drive-by murders to occur.

10 minutes ago, WooWoo said:

Why not though? If they're willing to RP the crime that landed them there, shouldn't they RP the consequences? 

Not for 20 OOC days, no. The consequences are way too harsh for a jail that's not always active. Do you expect people to do solo rp for hours? The current times are not feasible until we have a jail population that can be active throughout the day.

11 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. This is the best law system, that no other server has. 

The first sentence is quite cliche, and is the wrong mindset to approach things. If people stop doing crimes, you won't have cases to fight for, right? Moving on from that, it really isn't the best law system either considering you cannot get plea deals until your court date which can take up to 2 OOC months to conclude. PD/SD can charge you with anything as long as they have "probable cause" which basically means you can be charged as long as they can articulate why they suspect you of committing the crime. This results in people being locked up for a prolonged time under suspicion. It's especially a painful process if you plead not guilty instead of no contest. There's no point in cooperating because you won't get a plea deal until your court(at which point you'll sit out the original sentence anyway).

Edited by RufioCas
2 minutes ago, RufioCas said:

The current times are not feasible until we have a jail population that can be active throughout the day.

The suggestion of time spent IC is aimed at fixing that. Obviously it is not going to get even remotely close to improving if sentences can be waited out without actually being in prison.

1 minute ago, RufioCas said:

I'm honestly sorry but I can't understand what you're trying to say. Are you trying to say gangs, and other factions, have to done down the killings they have good IC excuses for because it's not 1:1 to LA murder rate? Did I understand you right?

Little Timmy steals Bob the builder's hammer, bob the builder kills little Timmy, then Little Timmy's friends kills Bob the builder.
I, as a mostly legal rper, with not that much illegal rp experience, have seen that happen more than once, let alone hear about friends who are more into it.

As a side note, if Little Timmy's friends can find out Bob the builder killed Timmy, LSPD / SD can find out too, with dedication and some thinking.

5 minutes ago, RufioCas said:

Not for 20 OOC days, no. The consequences are way too harsh for a jail that's not always active. Do you expect people to do solo rp for hours? The current times are not feasible until we have a jail population that can be active throughout the day.

Yes you nailed it on the head! That's one of the beauties of having mandatory serving time. Jail will have more activity now that they have to serve their sentence in game!

• Wuhtah locked this topic
  • effion unlocked this topic