Make Damages Great Again:

Sam2

Resident devil's advocate here.

I like this in theory, but I can see a few issues with implementation that should definitely be addressed.

1. The vast majority of injuries characters suffer are likely OOC - a car teleporting to you and falling on you, accidental punches from people in a crowd who tap the R button, "forgetting" to use the ladder in favor of plummeting to the ground. If we can't trust people to RP their own injuries, we can't trust them with a command to account for these without staff supervision (already spread thin, which is partially what causes this issue in the first place) to go along with it. How would we address the disparity between IC and OOC injuries?

2. The way we RP time is not conducive to a script penalty for injuries. Someone could be in the midst of RPing that very same injury when a script kicks in if the timeframe is too short, or perhaps they live in a time zone in which there are no hospitals that open up. Would we be willing to relegate treatment to a script if that particular treatment center lacks personnel? If so, how is this much different than what takes place already?

3. GTAW hitboxes leave a lot of room for interpretation. A shot to the torso could embed itself in the spinal column, or it could completely pass through without hitting any vital organ whatsoever. A shot to the leg could nick the femoral aterey, shatter the kneecap, or do very little at all. Rolling a dice on these only makes sense in particular scenarios - you can't intentionally shoot a stationary someone in the shoulder and "accidentally" lodge a bullet in their spine, for instance. Like I mentioned above, if we can't trust people to RP their injuries properly, why differentiate between levels of medical care when determining the level of care necessary will typically be up to the victim?

Don't get me wrong, the suggestion has tons of merits, but I'd much rather broach this topic now and see if we can get these out of the way as the feature is implemented. Persistent injuries are a great idea, but they would need to be accompanied by a way for the script to determine the intent of an aggressor (/intent kill, /intent harm, or /intent disable(?) ) causing the injury rather than purely random determination of how severe an injury is - someone intending to kill you won't always hit a vital organ, but they will definitely hit one with more frequency than someone being careful not to hurt you too much.

To summarize my concerns:

• We need a way to deal with OOC injuries without "more staff oversight" being the answer.
  • We need to reconcile the necessity of a doctor with the fact some players operate in sparsely populated time zones.
  • We need a method by which we can obtain more accurate damage allocation than hitboxes will allow.

On a final note: we're getting into RPG-ish territory with heavy scripting for injuries, which isn't a bad thing, but let's recognize it for what it is and understand that the end result of the script will definitely be fun, but may not always be 100% realistic.

Another thing to add to above, I should mention that even with our current and very flawed system, medical services are stretched insanely thin.

FD has dozen of calls an hour ranging from GSW’s to GSW’s, the hospital has to receive those injuries, and even during peak times it struggles to keep up with the demand.

Adding more persistent scripts that REQUIRE medical personnel is going to ruffle a lot of feathers, FD gets a lot of hate for missing calls, the reality is there’s just way too many calls localized in certain areas to ever keep up with demand.

The Hospital also only has a finite amount of members who arent on 24/7. I can see hate go their way for not treating enough injuries fast enough.

Medical roleplay is plagued by a massive line of violent trauma injuries, with very few non traumatic medical calls in between. A diabetic patient is practically a golden unicorn buried underneath a pile of gangbanger 9mm wounds. Do we really want to hit Med RP with another massive group of patients that’ll need their intervention /all/ the time?

Don’t get me wrong, on paper this is great. In reality as someone who does Medical roleplay, I fucking dread it. I get so bored of constant trauma calls. To the point when people accept death or avoid roleplay gunshots, I’m kinda ok with it? It frees me up to roleplay with people who WANT that medical roleplay.

If you’ve ever tried medical roleplay, you’ll probably understand the issue here. Imagine our current predicament times 10.

Also script interventions seem iffy. Med RP is roleplay, making it an RPG system of treatment seems problematic. But I can see it being cool. If it doesnt drain from the roleplay aspect. I’d rather apply a script bandage than emote it. The fun you get from medical roleplay is patient interaction. I just hope if this is implemented, the treatments are accurate.

• Thanks 3

+1

17 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

Medical roleplay is plagued by a massive line of violent trauma injuries, with very few non traumatic medical calls in between. A diabetic patient is practically a golden unicorn buried underneath a pile of gangbanger 9mm wounds. Do we really want to hit Med RP with another massive group of patients that’ll need their intervention /all/ the time?

Would OP's suggestion of having underground doctors/mob doctors not help with this issue as well? Maybe not fix it completely, but it would mean not every gangbanger etc would be in need of legal medical care and can help free up some of those calls?

• Wuhtah locked this topic