Club Characters + Drugs & Alcohol

aldo

Just now, Westen said:

This is often a misquoted statistic, see:

TL:DR; The 40% number is wrong and plain old bad science. In attempt to recreate the numbers, by the same researchers, they received a rate of 24% while including shouting in the definition of violence. Further researchers found rates of 7%, 7.8%, 10%, and 13% with stricter definitions and better research methodology.

Thank you for the information. That's roughly around one-tenth to one-quarter of the department, based on reported cases. Good research.

9 minutes ago, cracked said:

Being a drug user isn't and shouldn't be something you're treated as a criminal for.

I mean, it's just common sense, right? You're not a criminal for using drugs. That's kid logic.

But... you are. Being a criminal means committing a crime. While using drugs is not a crime, you can't use drugs without possessing them which is a crime. Drug users are criminals.

People just don't want to do drugs and roleplay the fun part of being under the influence. Even if you get arrested or get into other shit, it's still development and roleplaying being on drugs is a lot of fun.

Or, perhaps, people just lack knowledge about drugs. I think a majority of the playerbase has never tried your typical party drugs like acid, amphetamines, molly, shrooms et cetera so they don't have first hand experience.

But then again, there are tons of roleplay guides related to drugs and how they affect you, so even if you don't know jack shit about how amphetamine works, you could still roleplay taking it and perhaps you'll even learn something. I honestly do not know what the reason is, but I hate that it has to be like this. Maybe people just want to be boring, bland straight-edge civilian characters. You can't force people to do what they don't want to do. And sure, someone linked a study saying the young generation doesn't drink socially as much as people used to back in the day et cetera, but that doesn't mean we don't get plastered. You see drugged up bitches as young at 16 here in Europe, and they're just going to clubs and raves and having fun at parties. People have to look past the "drugs bad boo hoo" shit and just vibe along with it. Not everyone who uses drugs automatically falls into long term addiction. Many young people who go to raves, parties and clubs have good grades and stay sober on an everyday basis. I literally do not understand why this is so hard to comprehend for some people.

42 minutes ago, Serendipity said:

It's probably already been said, but the lack of reliable car service is a huge factor to consider in regards to people driving in their cars after going clubbing. Driving your own car is simply more convenient, because unlike in real life, on GTA:W you're not going to go to an after party or home after the club, you're going to relocate to the next open business or role-play hot spot.

Clubbing on GTA:W has also never mirrored clubbing in real life. Going to a club on this server is nothing more than a bunch of people gathered around tables doing sitting animations, a DJ doing a set with a handful of groupies next to him, and a barren dance floor. Role-playing being blackout drunk or drugged up just gets you kicked out because you stick out like a sore thumb.

The reason legal role-players don't want to engage in better nightlife role-play is because a large majority of them frame their character after the "good guy protagonist" archetype. Seldom will you actually see a civilian role-playing having negative traits, much less the effect the negative traits have on their lives. Until these people that populate the clubs stop leading their role-play after always being right, always being the good guy, and always doing what's morally right, there will simply be no shift in the norm.

And yet in real life anno BC (Before Corona) clubs were packed with people of various walks of life, from cashiers to top grade lawyers playing drinking games in VIP parlor maybe. Otherwise, what you said. Clubbing and nightlife isn't bad so I see no reason why people bent on portraying the good guys should discard such venues. A club is a place to have fun, to unwind with others and to forget for a while, that out there, you have your job, your issues or whatever. And ofc designer or casual always were a part of clubbing scene. People know, that popping the E pill or powdering one's nose on toilet is not mandatory for clubbing. 

Edited by Engelbert

I think it also comes down to a lack of personal experience too. Not everyone goes out clubbing/drinking/whatever IRL, so the knowledge of RPing that isn't there. 

I'm not sure how the club scene works in the US either but in the UK at least people pre-drink/pre-game (whatever you call it personally). People don't go to a club to get drunk. They're normally somewhat intoxicated by the time they reach a club. I don't really see that happening on here. 

There's also the ridiculous opening times/amount of openings. It's understandable that no-one wants to RP opening their club from 10 PM - 3 AM, but opening for an hour? I guess it comes with the whole paying out to bartenders and security that makes clubs wanna close. 

2 hours ago, DLimit said:

I'm just sitting here, thinking why I've never seen a person OUTSIDE of an illegal faction EXPERIMENT with marijuana, ONCE, in their entirety of their character development. To think, after attending 100 clubs, they wouldn't even try one spliff? One line? One pill? Or, even one bottle? There isn't a SINGLE event in one's development that has their character so stressed-out that they actually consider experimenting with narcotics or alcohol? People, out here, witness murders as civilians and they shrug it off the next day...

Just wanted to comment on this part, as I don't really have anything else to add to this discussion, as my character isn't a part of the club crowd for reasons listed below. I think that might potentially be the flaw of this train of thought, really. Because I'm not sure if the people you are mentioning, would go to a club in the first place.

Let's start by saying this. My current character barely drinks at all. This is one of his character traits, caused by a family of addicts and his "fear" of turning out like them. He will have a beer every now and then if he's in a situation where he feels comfortable with it, but he doesn't go out to look for those types of situations. Which means, he avoids clubs and bars most of the time (which has impacted his social life because that's pretty much where everyone else goes, but I digress)

However, that type of "anxiety" (I put that mildly, as I'm not an expert on the subject and wouldn't want to wrongly diagnose whatever this might be) has caused him to use marijuana regularly, mostly to be able to sleep at night and simply relax.

Do I think that I'm the only one doing this? Not at all.
Do I think that most "legal roleplayers" (I hate that term) stays completely straight for reasons which has been mentioned in this thread? Maybe. 

But if that is the case, I genuinely do feel that this is unfortunate as life simply isn't as black and white as "legal or illegal". There are grey areas, and most people operates within those.

But with this, I hope that I have at least provided a different perspective and insight from someone playing on the other side of the fence, at least.

People focus to hard on drugs being illegal that they forget every "legal" person in the world at least does some form of substance abuse. Advertising that focuses on "young adults" and "teens" quitting smoking or vaping is full of shit. People just learned to lie and even hide their habits better. 

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Just wanted to comment on this part, as I don't really have anything else to add to this discussion, as my character isn't a part of the club crowd for reasons listed below. I think that might potentially be the flaw of this train of thought, really. Because I'm not sure if the people you are mentioning, would go to a club in the first place.

Let's start by saying this. My current character barely drinks at all. This is one of his character traits, caused by a family of addicts and his "fear" of turning out like them. He will have a beer every now and then if he's in a situation where he feels comfortable with it, but he doesn't go out to look for those types of situations. Which means, he avoids clubs and bars most of the time (which has impacted his social life because that's pretty much where everyone else goes, but I digress)

However, that type of "anxiety" (I put that mildly, as I'm not an expert on the subject and wouldn't want to wrongly diagnose whatever this might be) has caused him to use marijuana regularly, mostly to be able to sleep at night and simply relax.

Do I think that I'm the only one doing this? Not at all.
Do I think that most "legal roleplayers" (I hate that term) stays completely straight for reasons which has been mentioned in this thread? Maybe. 

But if that is the case, I genuinely do feel that this is unfortunate as life simply isn't as black and white as "legal or illegal". There are grey areas, and most people operates within those.

But with this, I hope that I have at least provided a different perspective and insight from someone playing on the other side of the fence, at least.

I ran out of likes. Good concept and portrayal.

52 minutes ago, IrCam said:

I think it also comes down to a lack of personal experience too. Not everyone goes out clubbing/drinking/whatever IRL, so the knowledge of RPing that isn't there. 

I'm not sure how the club scene works in the US either but in the UK at least people pre-drink/pre-game (whatever you call it personally). People don't go to a club to get drunk. They're normally somewhat intoxicated by the time they reach a club. I don't really see that happening on here. 

There's also the ridiculous opening times/amount of openings. It's understandable that no-one wants to RP opening their club from 10 PM - 3 AM, but opening for an hour? I guess it comes with the whole paying out to bartenders and security that makes clubs wanna close. 

probably because the 20k opening thing is only for the first hour, after that hour having a club open isnt profitable unless ur a stripclub selling private dances.

• Upvote 1