[Guide] Extortion

SiMo

Just now, AngelThreeTails said:

Thats so fucking wrong. With the current jail and laws. the criminals will be out within the week. Or their faction will CK app you and 9 times out of 10 a CK app for extortion rp is accepted.

Yeah, but if they just come back to your business after 2 days in jail, that's kinda abusing the jail time system. I'm sure admins don't like seeing that.

Just now, AngelThreeTails said:

Thats so fucking wrong. With the current jail and laws. the criminals will be out within the week. Or their faction will CK app you and 9 times out of 10 a CK app for extortion rp is accepted.

Again, last time someone got a CK over extortion it was reverted (as they went to cops) However, I'd much rather see OFFICIAL guidelines on this instead of 50 people bickering in the thread. Cause as of right now, the extortion rp is as broad as mechanic RP. We got Julius Cesar trying to take over the whole city for tribute but offering nothing, and then we've got people who provide top quality extortion RP. 

Just now, Chipsdose said:

Yeah, but if they just come back to your business after 2 days in jail, that's kinda abusing the jail time system. I'm sure admins don't like seeing that.

Considering there has been no official statement from the admins on what we're all discussing in a guide instead of discussions, I really hope they're coming up with something. As at the moment, CCTV rules, timezones and other OOC factors are making it much harder for an IC presence of LSPD.

1 minute ago, Mahiko said:

Again, last time someone got a CK over extortion it was reverted (as they went to cops) However, I'd much rather see OFFICIAL guidelines on this instead of 50 people bickering in the thread. Cause as of right now, the extortion rp is as broad as mechanic RP. We got Julius Cesar trying to take over the whole city for tribute but offering nothing, and then we've got people who provide top quality extortion RP. 

This right here. OFFICIAL guidelines or clarification. Can’t rely on people to have common sense in this situation. It’s not working. 

Edited by Cypher
Just now, Mahiko said:

That is very true. And I would like to see this too. But we also need to address the significant lack of dedicated factions to investigating extortion RP like this. Put some of the crim orgs on the back peddle. Its something i'd like to see.

4 minutes ago, AngelThreeTails said:

That is very true. And I would like to see this too. But we also need to address the significant lack of dedicated factions to investigating extortion RP like this. Put some of the crim orgs on the back peddle. Its something i'd like to see.

We don't need an official faction to investigate it. We need official guidelines for what can and can't be done. To avoid seeing one faction extort half of Los Santos with a I am Julius Cesar, pay tribute now style. Instead a limited amount could be allowed w. the business owner having access to PMing the faction handler if the RP is subpar, creating a much much more pleasant experience for all. As it's by far not about taking the L of losing a bit of cash to extortion, but more of so that the RP that is suggested in this guide is piss fucking poor, and honestly doesn't need to taint the RP of this server.

Edited by Mahiko

I would love to see it handled purely IC but with the current unrest going on with the PD faction, I’d say this is the least of their worries. Combined with no RICO laws and short jail sentences, there’s no IC recourse at this point. Telling us to take it purely IC right now is just ignorant. The problem is bigger than that. 

Edited by Cypher
24 minutes ago, Cypher said:

I would love to see it handled purely IC but with the current unrest going on with the PD faction, I’d say this is the least of their worries. Combined with no RICO laws and short jail sentences, there’s no IC recourse at this point. Telling us to take it purely IC right now is just ignorant. The problem is bigger than that. 

You are 110% correct and the admins just seem to not give a shit. The ones that do, cant do anything about or are just turned down immediately.. Its honestly depressing this may be one of the biggest serious rp servers in GTA right now but its also got a staff team of quantity over quality. Most of the admins are Do not disturb on discord or just outright direct you to someone else. And other then that there are times that you could be waiting hours and hours for an admin to respond to your /arson request or something of the sort. Getting off track here though. Point is All the admins that respond to issues that we believe to be OOC they tell us to handle it IC or indirectly tell us its an IC problem. When in fact most of the time its a OOC issue. People lie to staff all the time to make them look right. Which basically has gotten it into the staffs head to basically say "Get it fixed Icly" if its something regarding extortion. 

Hell its just outright saddening to see staff not give a shit about fixing criminal rp.

Edited by AngelThreeTails
1 minute ago, Mahiko said:

We don't need an official faction to investigate it. We need official guidelines for what can and can't be done. To avoid seeing one faction extort half of Los Santos with a I am Julius Cesar, pay tribute now style. Instead a limited amount could be allowed w. the business owner having access to PMing the faction handler if the RP is subpar, creating a much much more pleasant experience for all. As it's by far not about taking the L of losing a bit of cash to extortion, but more of so that the RP that is suggested in this guide is piss fucking poor, and honestly doesn't to taint this server.

First and foremost. This guide is horseshit and I'm pretty sure part of it was written just to get a rise out of legal RPers. As I pointed out long ago on the original thread, I'm all for fixing this issue I just wanna see it done IC, it's not to say I don't see where your coming from. I understand some players extortion is absolutely trash and needs to be corrected. But the suggestions of giving legal RPers a direct line to faction handlers, setting OOC rules to box in what is and isn't correct or granting CK rights to the business owner to some how "instill fear" into the criminal might work to cut down initially on the shittier extortion RP, but what then? Because while you or others might not abuse it, let's be honest with ourselves, there are legal characters who will weaponize these tools just because they don't like paying criminals. It will have nothing to do with roleplay and everything to do with "I don't like being on this end of extortion RP, therefor extortion RP is never up to my standard", constantly moving the goal post for criminals whenever someone who's actually good at extortion comes along. Additionally, what your suggestion is already accomplishable. If you think a faction is out of control? Faction report them. If their RP is bad, player report them. Ban the people who are being cancerous but simply extorting businesses because you can IC isn't cancerous, it's following the IC setting that's m

15 minutes ago, Cypher said:

The problem is being made to be bigger than that. There are absolutely IC recourses but people won't take them. As was pointed out when you asked on the PD and You thread where multiple people responded saying that they rarely see calls about extortion but would love to see more, so people clearly aren't calling the cops. Why? Well it's clear they think it's an automatic CK. Which frankly is either the result of people misunderstanding what's needed for a CK application to be accepted, or people being mislead purposely to think that so they comply.  As @nateXpointed out, your not gonna get CKed just because you called the cops. There is more to it then that. 

2 minutes ago, Henning said:

First and foremost. This guide is horseshit and I'm pretty sure part of it was written just to get a rise out of legal RPers. As I pointed out long ago on the original thread, I'm all for fixing this issue I just wanna see it done IC, it's not to say I don't see where your coming from. I understand some players extortion is absolutely trash and needs to be corrected. But the suggestions of giving legal RPers a direct line to faction handlers, setting OOC rules to box in what is and isn't correct or granting CK rights to the business owner to some how "instill fear" into the criminal might work to cut down initially on the shittier extortion RP, but what then? Because while you or others might not abuse it, let's be honest with ourselves, there are legal characters who will weaponize these tools just because they don't like paying criminals. It will have nothing to do with roleplay and everything to do with "I don't like being on this end of extortion RP, therefor extortion RP is never up to my standard", constantly moving the goal post for criminals whenever someone who's actually good at extortion comes along. Additionally, what your suggestion is already accomplishable. If you think a faction is out of control? Faction report them. If their RP is bad, player report them. Ban the people who are being cancerous but simply extorting businesses because you can IC isn't cancerous, it's following the IC setting that's m

The problem is being made to be bigger than that. There are absolutely IC recourses but people won't take them. As was pointed out when you asked on the PD and You thread where multiple people responded saying that they rarely see calls about extortion but would love to see more, so people clearly aren't calling the cops. Why? Well it's clear they think it's an automatic CK. Which frankly is either the result of people misunderstanding what's needed for a CK application to be accepted, or people being mislead purposely to think that so they comply.  As @nateXpointed out, your not gonna get CKed just because you called the cops. There is more to it then that. 

You bring up some good points, seeing how long faction forum work takes. It's not really a task for a 'business' owner to fill out paperwork because people can't RP when they're in an approved faction. It would be much easier to have the handler hotline, and then the handler could direct them to a faction report if it seemingly isn't an issue in their eyes. Overall, we've got rules on weird things. ERP, How much you can rob? How much you can scam? I don't see why there shouldn't be a limitation to these people providing poor RP. Perhaps making them have second thoughts on ruining someones hard work (It isn't easy starting a quality business.) Just because they watched the latest mob movie where they walk in and lynch every business to extort them.

• Jax locked this topic