How does someone get out of extortion?

caballero

9 minutes ago, Cypher said:

Think it’s been discussed at length this isn’t effective for both OOC and IC reasons at this point. 

it's bad rp to think you can just call other mob ppl to take out another mob, what would people do irl?

lol, "lemme call up the Gambino family, they'll take care of me!"

terrible rp if you dont call the cops.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Brown Buffalo said:

it's bad rp to think you can just call other mob ppl to take out another mob, what would people do irl?

lol, "lemme call up the Gambino family, they'll take care of me!"

terrible rp if you dont call the cops.

You misunderstand me lol. I agree with you. I think it’s stupid to try to contact another illegal group to handle your problems. Cool RP for some? Maybe. Depends on the character. MY character would never do that.

What I meant to convey was that there is a fundamental issue on an OOC and IC level with calling the cops on both the legal and illegal fronts. Just read through some of the posts on this thread and the terrible extortion guide in community guides.

Some cops have said they’d love to participate in extortion investigation, others say it’s not worth the effort when the extortionists get out in just mere days when investigations take weeks or more. Go look at the Judiciary / court case section. Only THREE cases (ever) that mention extortion. They don’t get prosecuted by the DOJ. Combine that with accounts that people don’t normally call the cops out of fear of getting their business destroyed after unnecessary escalation or the extortionists attempt to CK the owner for snitching. While admins have said that doesn’t happen often, the irrational fear is still there. 

It’s messed up on multiple fronts and honestly when RICO acts become a thing and hopefully when PD/DOJ decide to step up the pressure in-game on these cases, I think it will improve greatly. Right now it’s very one-sided. Let’s not even discuss how BAD most extortion is on this server. 

Edited by Cypher
23 minutes ago, Cypher said:

Let’s not even discuss how BAD most extortion is on this server.

It's to the point where you have to shield yourself with your customers.

Nearly every single opening for every business I've worked with, some Tony Spaghettio motherfucker always wants to talk to the owner right in the middle of an opening to share a "business proposal" that he won't mention to anyone else - it's the most low-effort nonsense I've ever seen. You can usually avoid that by telling them the owner is out.

Then there are the people who will try to extort you in front of everyone.

1 hour ago, Smilesville said:

It's to the point where you have to shield yourself with your customers.

I want to see an extortion attempt during an opening where the mobster asks to talk to the owner and all of a sudden all the customers start saying "I am the owner" "No I am the owner". I find that though quite hilarious in fact.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, disnep said:

I want to see an extortion attempt during an opening where the mobster asks to talk to the owner and all of a sudden all the customers start saying "I am the owner" "No I am the owner". I find that though quite hilarious in fact.

While bold and seemingly a powerful gesture in appearance, these sorts of responses tend to be ended real fast when the aggressors notice and eliminate key 'power' players from the crowd. Everyone can act tough knowing at least one of their own can handle a gun and keep a level head until that one level head is suddenly removed.

Plus, I would not put it past the current quality of criminal community to just murder everyone with the excuse of putting down a risk to protect themselves.

1 hour ago, DasFroggy said:

Plus, I would not put it past the current quality of criminal community to just murder everyone with the excuse of putting down a risk to protect themselves.

But you could definitely report people who shoot everyone claiming to be Spartacus. The problem comes in with folks who do just enough to get a screen to apply for a CK and that staff really don't seem to have time to vet them well - I don't think it's fair to malign all of the criminal community, though. 

Like with robberies, I like to believe it's just a very vocal, very visible minority. 

49 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

But you could definitely report people who shoot everyone claiming to be Spartacus. The problem comes in with folks who do just enough to get a screen to apply for a CK and that staff really don't seem to have time to vet them well - I don't think it's fair to malign all of the criminal community, though. 

Like with robberies, I like to believe it's just a very vocal, very visible minority. 

For sure. Still, this really is something that the criminal community could be dealing with right now. It would be easy enough to put these concerns to rest if they self-policed their own and weeded out anyone that engaged in destrimental-quality roleplay. Alas, that too requires work, and who wants to work when money is as easy as asking for a boss and threatening CKs?

• effion locked this topic