Limit RNG RP

Matthew

16 minutes ago, Jaxium said:

I mean, if both parties agree to using /coin, and it does make sense in said scenario, then I see nothing wrong with it really.

If it makes sense and there’s reasonable chance of it being 50-50 realistically and both parties are fine with it then I don’t mind at all. I’m making this more because /coin seems to be becoming commonplace.

I think in certain situations it makes sense.

For instance, I have a homeless character who dumpster dives, I often use a dice or a coin to determine if they find anything of use out of the dumpster. 

Unless there is a script there's no way for me to know if anything was thrown out by that store today, if anyone worked there, ect. So I'd rather leave it up to RNG as I don't have a preference on the situation and I'd rather have the chance to roleplay potentially finding nothing. 

I do think that using it for actions on other players is generally not great but it depends on the situation I suppose and it shouldn't be something that is used excessively. If someone throws something gently to my character and I want to do a flip I think that's fine. But generally you should base your action on your characters traits and abilities. 

I think it's more of a use common sense and don't powergame sort of situation. There doesn't really need to be a rule against this. Nor do I see this commonly abused. 

It's between two players, or more, to agree if they want to use that system or not, a matter of preference. Not sure why trying to force a style onto other players just cuz not liking it yourself. I love to use the rng system a lot when not sure if my character would do something or not, or if they would detect something from another character that was left to my choice. Sometimes I'll roll if a certain action is done well or fails. So it's even just a matter of a solo rp preference. If we're talking about combat, again it's a system that has to be agreed upon between two people if the odds seem even as far as circumstances or physical aspects, etc. And a lot of times it comes with more thought out realism than just for example throwing punches to determine who goes down first. How is that a more viable system when for example the attributes of two people are putting one in advantage of the other? Rolling combat rp is less rushed, more methodical and forces a player to reason more. Fighting scriptwise often makes for sloppy rp at the end just to say it was rped. I've seen a whole bar go down after a major fight, for example. That's chaos and you lose track on a large scale of who might have done what when it's done so quickly. So I'm very much in favor of rolling rp in combat and otherwise. But certainly unnecessary to restrict it just because of preference. Just don't engage in it with a player, that simple.

20 hours ago, St3fan[NL] said:

Im 50-50, some people could argue in a way that using coin or some other coincidence method allows them to somewhat have unique RP, to decide what their character would do or not.

E.g. /me tries to grab Jane Doe by her arm holding her down.

Then jane does /me tries to dodge the grab.

/coin

If heads she manages to dodge if tails then she failed.

Its making such RP more fair for both parties imo.

In theory it makes RP more fair for both parties but it only works if both parties are playing fairly and realistically. More often then not, when I've had to do this IG (Usually because the other party demanded it) they rarely care about their opponents attributes or their own. Borderline powergaming as they rely on luck instead of actually RPing properly.

• Upvote 1

If two players consent to coin-toss R.P.? Then, allow it to happen. We had a situation where a woman was able to gouge out the eyes a drunk psychopath, who was almost twice her size, wielding a bat before running away due to a coin toss. It was realistic.

Edited by DLimit
  • mj2002 locked this topic