More Active Crime Journalism

A_Acko

3 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

If I join the faction right now,

Please do. I hope you enjoy the RP.

But you're missing my point. Two active journalists can't cover even a fraction of the stories that could be covered.

I'm not with LSNN because I was one of the two who resigned. But I wish their new management good luck.

A lot of people are saying 'could write' but they're missing the crux of the issue, two people who dedicated themselves to LSNN (me and @Greyfeatherimho) we simply can't do do do, everyone wants news but literally no-one bothers to consider writing or joining, and the news gets the blame for it, its simply not fair. Burnout and exhaustion is a bitch in the news writing business, it's why I left LSNN along with many others. 

GL to the new leadership though. 

• Upvote 1

LSNN is currently undergoing a massive revamp behind the scenes. When Wang and I took the reins with our new team, there was nothing really in place in terms of structure, and there was also no financial sustainability apart from relying on FM for a handout. Recruiting members and publishing articles is the least of our concern right now. Before the faction can function, we need to lay out the foundations so that new members receive adequate training & guidance, and the faction can sustain itself financially. We are confident that the implementations we are pushing out will revive the faction and provide copious roleplay opportunities for those who wish to get involved, we are even looking into the possibility of providing a wider range of opportunities for those who are not particularly too interested in journalism but still wish to engage in legal roleplay.

It also concerns me that community members have stated that they have previously reached out to LSNN and attempted to generate some roleplay but were either turned away or ignored. While I am unsure of the specifics, I can assure you that we will be opening up several avenues for community members to engage with us and create roleplay under our leadership. As I have stated prior, we already have several ideas in the pipeline.

@Greyfeather, I can see your concerns regarding journalism roleplay and how not many wish to write articles, but  @.Pluto. is right, LSNN is a lot more than that and can provide copious other roleplay opportunities so that not everything is 'dull'. There needs to be some good incentives towards writing articles and contributing to the forums. There also needs to be a mix of other roleplay opportunities available so that the environment doesn't become stale.

@Mitch, it's very disappointing to see your comments, we gave everyone fair notice and the chance to remain in the faction and help us implement these dire changes to revive the faction, but only a small few reached out. I'm not sure if it's your intention, but you come across as quite hostile, and I'm not too sure why? I shall leave it at that.

Give us some time, and you will see an active news faction.

Edited by #Charles
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, #Charles said:

can provide copious other roleplay opportunities so that not everything is 'dull'. There needs to be some good incentives towards writing articles and contributing to the forums. There also needs to be a mix of other roleplay opportunities available so that the environment doesn't become stale.

That's really good to hear. I hope you guys succeed with it. 🙂

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, shiroq said:

This is the biggest issue that exists I believe, PD,SD,FD should be notifying news agencies or approved news agencies by LFM should have some sort of access to notifications or something so they could arrive on scene.

It's not the 80's journalists don't get shot for reporting on criminals, at this day and age being a journalist is similar as to being a cop to kill one is a death sentence. If some gang bangers or even organised criminals decided to kill you for writing a story on them it would be poor roleplay from them to go after you to try and actively kill you. If they are big enough of a criminal they would maybe work to make sure you lose your job etc but killing journalists doesn't really happen in this day and age, these days it's political or happens in third world countries which we are not portraying here. I could be wrong of course.

We've got something in the pipeline for this and are just working on the back end of the factions restructuring before reaching out to EMS factions to get something set in place that'll enable us to actively report on live news with greater ease.

4 hours ago, .Pluto. said:

We have so many right now because LSNN isn't doing anything for months now, and that's a fact. OFFICIAL FACTION that is supposed to do it. And I personally (and many other people) was throwing stories their way a few times, and guess what? No one gave a single fuck about it.

We've recently only just been assigned to lead LSNN and are working on a major revamp of the faction. We're looking to revolutionize the way the faction operates and ensure that it's model is sustainable so that we don't run into any inactivity issues moving forward. I've got lengthy experience when it comes to business management having been a Regional Manager for most of my adult life and having lead several large factions within other prominent RP communities I don't feel this revamp is one which will fail. Upon being appointed to lead LSNN we've done extensive route cause analysis to understand what has been going wrong and how these issues can be rectified. I can promise you from an operational standpoint that moving forward we will connect with individuals who wish to provide us with stories despite whether of not they're news worthy as we will want to develop a greater rapport with the people we wish to inform and connect with from a public affairs aspect.  

We can't change what happened under previous administrations but what we can make clear is that we're working on putting an end to the reoccurring issues, we're almost set up to be fully operational and are just awaiting the response on several decisions from FM and our own team before we can put the missing pieces into the puzzle and get the ball rolling. I've brought several competent individuals with me to support in the revamp of the faction but we're always open to having others support our efforts. Together we're working as a tight knitted team to ensure that moving forward LSNN will do the job it was brought into this community to do and I've already explained in an earlier response the ways in which we're going to make our publications more engaging. 

4 hours ago, Henning said:

My faction spent 3 months creating one of the most detailed interiors on the server, have plans for an actual professional fighting league that isn't just in the back of a boxing gym but actually had proper press conferences, weigh ins and cards that weren't just put together the day of. We approached LSNN with the exclusive story and were told and I quote "Sorry, we aren't doing free advertisement for your MMA league". 

For a faction that says they have a hard time finding topics to write on, they sure do turn down a lot of topics to write on. 

Moving forward as I've addressed LSNN is under new leadership and I can ensure you that if your faction is still operational or should you require our factions services we will open our arms to anyone wishing to come forward and provide us or this community with news and events worthy of publication/coverage. We're trying to turn our business model away from that of having to rely on advertising as a sole IC revenue source, to be quite honest looking at prior administrations financials they were consistently relying on the support of FM which didn't even remotely attract people to the faction. With our new business model that we've put forward this won't be an issue and irrespective of our financials we would never turn away coverage alike this which would engage the viewers we aim to target IC'ly.

3 hours ago, .Pluto. said:

If I join the faction right now, it wouldn't be my first time doing that kind of Roleplay. And it's not all about doing it on forums. Plenty of stuff to do in game, do investigative journalism which is most interesting part. Since you're participating a lot in that pointless extortion discussion, that's one great topic, and LSNN could write 5 HUGE articles just about one that topic. So many roleplays could be done about just that one topic. And trust me, there are lots of more on my mind. Death of Nancy Rosales and bringing heads of VR13 in front of the Court was another wonderful topic to write about, and I pointed it out to LSNN, even described the situation, what would RPwise be already known to anyone. There is so many topics that could be done, so many sections that articles can be in (Crime, Entertainment, Lifestyle etc.), interview of IC famous character, literally anything, where lots of Roleplay can be done, and it was never done in the past few months. I blame previous management, and I hope we'll see changes from the current management. I highly advise you guys, if you need any kind of advice for News faction, ask @Eriks. I was a part of SAN on another server when he was leading it, and he thought us many thing, about how to do the job properly, and he was a true leader. S/O to fat guy Jep Appelo.

If you're interested in partaking in the revamp feel free to send me a message, we will be going live as I mentioned in the upcoming days and hopefully we will generate a lot of interest and with out infrastructure we'll be able to ensure that we're not just sustainable but effective in our methods of covering news and events. We're aiming to pursue various channels that we've not seen put forward in the community previously and so hopefully these additions will help create more roleplay and engage the community alike never before. 

We feel we've got the structure as I pointed out set in place, we've wanted to ensure that we don't just take the helm of the faction and run with the system that wasn't clearly working and so we're going to make sure that when we launch everything is set in place from an administrative perspective to ensure that the faction is pushed in the right direction. I don't expect that we'll have through the rough activity but I do believe we will be more present and our coverage more consistent and attractive and we will build from that and continue to keep building on the foundations we've set in place. 

• Upvote 2

The link below provides an illustration of why fact checking and corroboration of stories is so important.

The article provided as evidence in the civil claim was published by LSNN back in September last year. IC legal action is now being taken against the accuser. What it means is that I will have to go back through my correspondence in the lead up to the interviews I did to get the story along with the notes that were made. 

Since the alleged victim has been accused of malice and is now being sued for $100,000, it will be important to establish how it was that she ended up being interviewed by me.

That means there could possibly be a legal fight about protecting the identity of my sources. If this happens, I have to get a lawyer and pay for the pleasure of it - will my former employer bear that cost for me? Who knows? 

At the very least, since I wrote the story, I'll potentially have to be a witness.

Legal action is a thing in this game, and - even though this time it isn't against LSNN or me directly - it could potentially bankrupt a journalist and news organization. Like I keep saying, it's not good enough to just show up and write a quick story where you cut corners and make up the facts! ❤️

[CIVIL PETITION] Richard Orosco v. Dianna Pierce - Civil Division - GTA World Forums - GTA V Heavy Roleplay Server

I remember there was a thread on the LSRP forum that was run as a gangland news type website/blog with pieces written on different gangs, organizations or incidents. I'm not sure how much the creator roleplayed a journalist IC but the thread was a pretty good idea. Surely something like that could be run here very easily if somebody had the interest.

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent release of LSFD Live we are hopefully tackling this issue head-on in an attempt to increase transparency with the media and provide them instant information regarding scenes and the state of scenes.

From what I have seen directly, journalism has come to life in numbers with there being an article already released 1 day after the official announcement of lsfd.live as well as three scenes where we've met stringers collecting information, video and photos of a scene.

I am already in talks with getting LSPD involved and and hopefully even LSSD with expending and providing the media with easy access to information.

I've been closely monitoring this thread and will still be monitoring it in hopes that more feedback can be collected.

Is there any way we make it more "in game" rather than on forums?  Like a news app on the phone, similar to taxi app.  You click on it and get like 4 or 5 articles to click and read.  Maybe an ingame notification when a new article is posted to read.  I think characters would love reading the news at moments when they're bored.

• Wuhtah locked this topic