Medical fees with hospital care

reko

Howdy, its that time of year where I stick my nose into a thread.

Medical fee's are one of those happy possible mediums. Without revealing too much which isn't confirmed, fee's and big changes are coming. Ik I've started this with changing my clinic to $100 bucks universally. But this also raises a question, as far as I know, no where does it state in American law healthcare has to be paid, its just local governments don't tend to want too.

There's a lot of changes coming in relation to medical RP and how medicine works on the server, if you have questions outside of EMS, you're always welcome to ask me privately and where I can reveal things I'm normally fine with that.

But I will reveal something, should what I am working on go through, fee's will absolutely be a thing IN SOME AREA's, but they also won't be anything massive. Maybe 2 hours of unemployment paycheck (1k) for your moderate conditions, 1.5k for your severe conditions (life threatening) and 500 bucks for mild. It's also worth noting, this factors a change in how (if I'm right here) the server wants to handle "aftercare" with some level of having people actually remain in the hospital post injury. 

My word is not gospel, I just have the fortunate nature of being a prominent faction leader in the medical sector and myself have a wide array of plans. 

Edited by Mecovy

I have a feeling that this will lead to a lot less medical roleplay due to the fact that it's more expensive, and instead most people will just powergame their injuries being much less severe than they would otherwise to avoid having to call an ambulance.

And before you say "oh then just report them," we're not discussing an obvious rule breaking - it's very easy to get away with not roleplaying injuries well, because to prove that there was a serious injury - one would have to have video footage of the incident or have it be directly witnessed by an admin. Not to mention that these circumstances become very subjective, and in real life people have both died on the spot and survived falling from planes without parachutes. 

And in regards to "making people's financial statuses more realistic" - this will unfortunately never happen. The government subsidizes all employees' salaries. GTA World is nothing like real life economy.

Not supporting this idea.

PS:

PKs; because a PK is always disorienting to go through and a character obviously cannot remember what led to them ending up at the hospital, they could not seek reimbursement for any medical fees. Still, some service fees could be applied so the point of looking after one's health is not completely lost, these still being lower than the 'base' fee for an injury one would survive.

Really? I never saw PKs as "your character being wounded and woken up in a hospital with no memory," because that never made sense to me realistically. If you PK someone - you can wind up in jail for Murder, because you killed someone. If you killed someone, they shouldn't be up and walking around still.

I always saw PKs as "in this universe, this is how your character's story ends, now forget everything that led up to your character's death and continue with your story in a different universe". Still gets confusing, especially if you happen to run into people who witnessed you die (I personally act like the person that had died was someone else) but nevertheless this makes more sense to me than the aforementioned view on PK.

Edited by UseroneGaming
added underlined text for clarification

3 hours ago, UseroneGaming said:

I have a feeling that this will lead to a lot less medical roleplay due to the fact that it's more expensive, and instead most people will just powergame their injuries being much less severe than they would otherwise to avoid having to call an ambulance.

And before you say "oh then just report them," we're not discussing an obvious rule breaking - it's very easy to get away with not roleplaying injuries well, because to prove that there was a serious injury - one would have to have video footage of the incident or have it be directly witnessed by an admin. Not to mention that these circumstances become very subjective, and in real life people have both died on the spot and survived falling from planes without parachutes. 

And in regards to "making people's financial statuses more realistic" - this will unfortunately never happen. The government subsidizes all employees' salaries. GTA World is nothing like real life economy.

Not supporting this idea.

PS:

Really? I never saw PKs as "your character being wounded and woken up in a hospital with no memory," because that never made sense to me realistically. If you PK someone - you can wind up in jail for Murder, because you killed someone. If you killed someone, they shouldn't be up and walking around still.

I always saw PKs as "in this universe, this is how your character's story ends, now forget everything that led up to your character's death and continue with your story in a different universe". Still gets confusing, especially if you happen to run into people who witnessed you die (I personally act like the person that had died was someone else) but nevertheless this makes more sense to me than the aforementioned view on PK.

I appreciate the feedback!

The ambulance point was already brought up, and I agree. Regarding the rest of the fees, though:

For how easy money is to build up, health insurance would be rather easy to acquire.

The whole system is to bring an option for those who don't enjoy powergaming to bring some realism into their character story. People playing characters in poverty already have to ignore a large sum of money in their accounts, /charity it or not use it, purely by choice and for immersion - they usually want to acquire money by realistic roleplay means. Any character that truly wanted insurance would be able to get it, and keep paying it if they had any kind of a job. This is just discussing new script elements to add for the sake of consistency; medical fees exist. There's no debate about it, you can't go "but wait, healthcare is free" at someone who chose to roleplay the bills.

The people who don't want to roleplay large injuries exist right now and they still will if a change was made to medical fees, but they likely wouldn't have an incentive to do it more because with insurance, fees would barely dent one's bank account.

GTAW economy being fully realistic will never happen, but I don't like the attitude that nothing should be done to slightly improve it.

Regarding your PS; I didn't say anything about the definition of PK or how it would work in roleplay, just described what happens from the perception of the PK'd player by default for the sake of discussing the medical fee system.

Anyway, good points raised in this thread! A hospital faction sounds sexy.

Edited by reko
fucked up the quotes lol

Fees are fine however medical insurance should pay for this if you have it in your policy.

Additionally, if injuries are caused by another, you’d need a system where you can sue for damages.

It’s a good idea however to be realistic, it needs a lot more thought and processes put in place than simply creating a menu of healthcare and charges.

So you’d need to create and script and entire medical insurance policy, a way of keeping this information accessible for medical companies. You’d also need an entire system for people to sue for damages in a short amount of time.

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy