Defining A Good Roleplayer.

Shaderz

Just now, Horner said:

Then rephrase it so I don't miss it, please?

My point is that we're all constantly evolving, improving and learning how to better our own forms or roleplay, at least I am. I think it's frivolous to rank ourselves above or below others in term of quality or even to define certain traits as representing a good roleplayer because this in turn creates a standard that isn't necessary for the server to function. We are all learning and will continue to learn as the server progresses so, none of us can truly be GOOD roleplayers. I think it's a far better mindset to have than this mindset of "good" or "bad" because that ideology breeds narcissism and elitism. Something that plagued LSRP. 

For the record, my roleplay sucked when I joined the server and I naturally learned through constant roleplay. So, I think I'm a good example of this.

Just now, Benny Black said:

My point is that we're all constantly evolving, improving and learning how to better our own forms or roleplay, at least I am. I think it's frivolous to rank ourselves above or below others in term of quality or even to define certain traits as representing a good roleplayer because this in turn creates a standard that isn't necessary for the server to function. We are all learning and will continue to learn as the server progresses so, none of us can truly be GOOD roleplayers. I think it's a far better mindset to have than this mindset of "good" or "bad" because that ideology breeds narcissism and elitism. Something that plagued LSRP. 

For the record, my roleplay sucked when I joined the server and I naturally learned through constant roleplay. So, I think I'm a good example of this.

Yeah 100% we always get better with every interaction and especially as you witness other people's roleplay, vocabulary, and style. Better to change "good roleplayer" with "better roleplayer" as there definitely are different standards.

8 hours ago, Horner said:

How can you say everyone is equal? There's a definite skill level when it comes to this otherwise people wouldn't get banned for sub-par RP.

Skill level? Hardly. The only thing roleplaying takes from you is effort. People just don't put enough effort in their rp if they are banned or anything, you know. There is no bad and good roleplayer, just people who either love to roleplay and put enough effort and time to it and those who don't.

Yes people may say english bro, knowledge of english. Yeah that does not make you neither good or bad roleplayer. Effort you are willing to put into your roleplay does. A mechanic may google up and learn something about engines and how to clean a filter, or they may not and emote everything on the fly.

But still...doing two lines to change tires? There's my point.

2 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Skill level? Hardly. The only thing roleplaying takes from you is effort. People just don't put enough effort in their rp if they are banned or anything, you know. There is no bad and good roleplayer, just people who either love to roleplay and put enough effort and time to it and those who don't.

Yes people may say english bro, knowledge of english. Yeah that does not make you neither good or bad roleplayer. Effort you are willing to put into your roleplay does. A mechanic may google up and learn something about engines and how to clean a filter, or they may not and emote everything on the fly.

But still...doing two lines to change tires? There's my point.

What? Dude, you're going mad MLK over here. There's definitely a distinction between bad roleplayers and good roleplayers. This is literally a literary skill that has to be developed. If you honestly say you go in game and have never seen one person whose roleplay was so bad (whether that was due to grammar/spelling, character portrayal, or staleness) that you just thought, "Fuck man that's tragic," then you have got to be lying or totally oblivious!

The point about effort is just silly. Obviously you need to put effort in to improve any skill. If they don't put effort into their roleplay then that makes them a bad roleplayer, just like if you don't put effort into writing an essay for university then you'll get a bad mark. It's a direct correlation. You wouldn't say, "There's no such thing as a bad essay, just an essay with no effort." They're interchangeable.

a good character is one that others want to interact with due to good roleplaying skill, win or lose

example: a complete failure of a person that is actually interesting in their constant failures

a bad character leaves a bad taste in others' mouths due to poor roleplaying skill by the player

example: an asian man who runs around wearing a bulletproof vest and showing no value for his own life

Edited by Alexandra

1) Being able to step inside your character's shoes is what makes you a good role player. You need to be able to understand your character before you can portray them, and sadly a lot of people are simply unable to do that. People need to think about their character's motivations and personality before making role play decisions. Is what I'm doing something my character would realistically do? Is this in my character's best interest? 

2) Role playing is a form of dynamic storytelling. Having a plan for your character's development is fine, but ignoring in character events that might alter your plan and contriving the story to fit your plan is not fine. You need to be able to take on whatever the in character world throws at you. Has your character been indicted on a murder charge? Roll with the flow, continue the character development. Was your character tricked out by some pimp? Roll with the flow, continue your character development. If you can adapt to difficult in character events, you're a good role player.

Edited by rootless cosmopolitan
  • Upvote 4

being a good roleplayer is very similar to being a good actor in the sense that you're supposed to sell a character to other people

one surefire way to distinguish roleplay quality is to determine whether someone is /acting/ or /reacting/. A good roleplayer can remain true to their character's personality/attitude in any situation, regardless of what's thrown at them.