The speed of PD/SD/FD RP

RoryR

(ok this guy handed me his license, what do I type...)
/me takes the license and glan-.. no thats not it
*backspace*
/me reaches out with his right hand, takes the license and walks back to his patrol car

*whatever script gizmo pd/sd uses*
(ok whats the fine for this...?)
/f hey whats the fine for speeding again?
(fuck it nobody's answering, i'll just let him go with a warning)

Did that irritate you? It should have.

Some people hesitate far too much. It's apparent in some streams / recordings where you can see the player fill their chatbox with a full sentence, then notice a typo or something, delete and retype it entirely. Now add on to that whatever inane conversation they're having over Discord and Teamspeak (or through /pm), and you get people spending a full minute to describe a basic action; they're distracted and not even sure how to roleplay their own character.

Edited by arrdef
Just now, RoryR said:

Did not know about that, should be pushed a bit more so more people know about it and use it.

In my experience, they do not. Also could you expand on the background stuff that happens?

I can't speak for this server but I know that there are various checks checking validity of license, plates, insurance, criminal background checks, warrants checks, various communications to other units etc, etc.

Just now, arrdef said:

*backspace*
/me reaches out with his right hand, takes the license and walks back to his patrol car

Some people hesitate far too much. It's apparent in some streams / recordings where you can see the player fill their chatbox with a full sentence, then notice a typo or something, delete and retype it entirely. Now add on to that whatever inane conversation they're having over Discord and Teamspeak (or through /pm), and you get people spending a full minute to describe a basic action; they're distracted and not even sure how to roleplay their own character.

Whats wrong with that? It's a game at the end of the day and changes can be made. Think before you speak haha!

It slows down their character's responses a great deal. It's also not really exclusive to PD/SD/FD/SABI/whatever, a lot of players in all spheres of the server do it.

It's more apparent with traffic stops and accidents/gunshot wounds because those are more detailed scenes.

Edited by arrdef

Generally, I don't make them too long unless there's some issue that sparks up IC. If the other party is cooperative and isn't giving my character a hard time, my character gives them a slap on the wrist, gives them the "Don't be silly, slow down and drive safe." spiel and lets them off.

But if a citation is being issued, that takes time due to the paperwork needed.
And that, ultimately, depends on the player's typing speed and how savvy they are with usage of forums.

32 minutes ago, arrdef said:

*backspace*

i dont appreciate this character assassination im pretty slow ok

Granted, not with something as mundane as a traffic stop, but in some high stress situations I hesitate a bit.

Edited by Pillowy
37 minutes ago, Peak. said:

Traffic stops in real life do take an extended period of time. 

Theres a lot that happens in the background which aides to develop the roleplay. 

Mine have always been far less than on here. All I can assume is on here the people don't know how to use the script or are dicking around doing something else during the traffic stop or are simply incredibly slow at typing.  You got to remember a lot of people aren't native English speakers and so they have to think about what they're gonna type. Some people are looking up stuff while they do the RP perhaps.  Its still pretty annoying but at least tolerable if the person taking forever communicates the issue instead of just having long awkward silences... Be considerate. 

Roleplay in general is pretty slow-paced and I think that, that's something you should be prepared to deal with.

Something else to consider is that if you don't drive like a wanton clown you will almost never get stopped by police. I've been playing since Janury and have never been victim to a traffic stop.

• Applaud 1

Can't say this for SD, got pulled over twice both times they let me off for being soft and explaining why I did what I did(Not saying that should have been the outcome, just saying I like how they did it), had a 10 minute interaction both times. But I get your point, simple shit like them sending another radio transmission after walking closer to the car to read the plates (which SD did) and not just doing it like a robot from your squad car can go a long way. People generally hate traffic stops, the best thing you could do is make it interesting. 

Edited by Aaron_Mancuso

People already mentioned it here but I'll break it down another time. During a traffic stop, you'll have to radio the call in using the correct transmission for it. You access the MDC and run the plates and check the owner for any outstanding things. You come up and do the chit-chat, some officer here keep it simple and brief, other's like to expand more on this by asking where you're going to, where you're coming from, what your plans on. Depending on the cause that you got pulled over, they'll have to figure out the citation, you alt-tab to the penal code, figure out how to deal with it. You then go back, talk to the person, explain them the ticket and the whole legal process behind it. You round it up and let him go.

We had people come to us that want to see more in their interaction with the public during traffic stops so some provide it. It might not always be everyone their cup of tea. And yes, you have to keep in account the time to write actions and speeches, some people make mistakes and delete words. You have to wait on the other party to respond. It all doesn't go as fast as we want it to go due to limitations.