The speed of PD/SD/FD RP

RoryR

10 minutes ago, arrdef said:

You should consider someone's wishes when they say very clearly that they don't want to roleplay a particular scenario for an extended period of time. Many people only log on a couple times a week and play for maybe 2 hours. It's not up to you to decide that 30 minutes of those 2 hours should be dedicated to the portrayal of all the subtlelties involved in a traffic stop. Especially when that minutia only scarcely involves the detained character.

In my opinion, a 15 mins timeframe wouldn't have robbed you of much depth at all, and would have been more accepted by the member you played with.

Who are you to decide how long someone's roleplay should take? If you don't want that risk you should log off on the spot. Instead of blasting through the city with your sports vehicle. Action = reaction. You don't rob someone 15 minutes before you have to go right? I don't get to decide either how long someone should evade because it's at my convenience. I don't get to tell the person to hurry up with his medical rp, because I don't find it interesting or have to go. 

If you don't want to deal with the police and their roleplay however long it takes. Then don't give them a reason too engage with you. If my traffic stop takes 30 minutes, I'll use 30 minutes. Besides it's IC and it should be kept that way. We are expected to hold a higher standard of rp and to be an example, this also means taking our time in the rp whether it's a simple infraction, someone who wants to talk to you or someone who just murdered someone. You don't get to decide how long someone else their rp should be. 

• Upvote 2

Just don't break the traffic rules in the first place. The moment you do is when you put yourself in a susceptible position to be pulled over. It all comes down to you at the end of the day. Prevention is better than cure. It's as simple as that.

19 minutes ago, xanx said:

this is specifically the reason why you've actually posted this in the first place

No it isn't, read the thread.

20 minutes ago, xanx said:
  • During this argument, you went into /B telling us to speed up the situation, mentioning you have work.
  • N3vs2Wl.png
  • I just want to straight up tell you that this is an excuse I hear over and over and over... and I honestly have a -very- set of simple questions for you to consider:
    • If you have to go? Why don't you just log off when you can? Aka, before you start speeding, your character does not need to be at home for you to log off if you -really- have to go because you've got work in the morning, prioritise it correctly OOCly as that is none of my concern if you get yourself involved in a situation like you did yesterday.
    • Why are you still driving around the city at 100+ MPH asking to be pulled over whilst you're blowing intersections right next to the Vespucci Police Headquarters?
    • During the traffic stop you mentioned that you were going to look at a business to purchase, and of course, considering the time of the pullover, my character inquried regarding that as they were curious on an ICly level. However, this simply goes against your comments saying you have got work in the morning, further either proving you don't priortise your life OOCly, or were simply lying to us.

I was going to a business to get the coords of it for a property request before I went off for the night. I was in a rush, people speed when they're in a rush. Sure, by all means RP however you want to, but it would be nice if people would be mindful of other people's time, you don't need to drag out every scenario just for the sake of it.

22 minutes ago, xanx said:

During this conversation, a vehicle desynced right into the traffic stop, slamming both into my unit and your vehicle at the same time, so that had to be figured out, with the eventuality of it being skipped over and ignored as all players agreed. This is where you continued to complain further in /B.

This interuption lasted no longer than 30 seconds, don't act like it was some big inconvenience for any one involved, or something that held up the RP significantly. Also where did I complain here? We were all clearly trying to understand if it was lag/desync or if he had intentionally or unintentionally lost control of his vehicle.

27 minutes ago, xanx said:

Make of this as you will, but from my perspective? You couldn't care less about this engagement whatsoever, it was an inconvenience to you, however, because of this your attitude was annoying to be quite frank as you kept going OOCly.

Please don't act as if my /b comments interuppted in anyway at all, I think you replied to one of them with "IC". And yes, it was an inconvenience, I think you picked up on that straight away and purposely decided to drag out the RP as long as you could. If that's how you get enjoyment from the game, go for it. But like I said, it would be nice if people would be mindful of each other's time. I still don't understand how something so routine can take upwards of 25 minutes.

Who am I to decide how long roleplay involving detaining people should be? Who I am is someone who really doesn't like to rattle off his "roleplay experience". So, please only open this spoiler if you can bear with retarded bragging:

Spoiler

Between 2016 and 2019 I roleplayed almost exclusively in prison, both as a prisoner and a CO — I've had my chars detain more characters in a week than you probably do in 6 months.

During large brawls that involve 20+ people, we would maybe have people prone out for 15 minutes. Taking more than 20 minutes to resolve the situation, figure out who to move, who to interrogate, etc was a rarity. Because taking that long meant people would log off.

All of this to handle situations that are 100x more complicated and include 10x the amount of people involved in a traffic stop.

It should be basic common sense that not everyone wants to roleplay a traffic stop for 25 minutes. That doesn't mean they foam at the mouth when their character gets detained, it simply means they're not as interested as you in the details of this particular type of scenario. Again, what do you lose in compressing this kind of roleplay just a little bit, to make sure the other party is having as much fun as you?

Edited by arrdef
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, goddessoflife said:

Who are you to decide how long someone's roleplay should take? If you don't want that risk you should log off on the spot. Instead of blasting through the city with your sports vehicle. Action = reaction. You don't rob someone 15 minutes before you have to go right? I don't get to decide either how long someone should evade because it's at my convenience. I don't get to tell the person to hurry up with his medical rp, because I don't find it interesting or have to go. 

If you don't want to deal with the police and their roleplay however long it takes. Then don't give them a reason too engage with you. If my traffic stop takes 30 minutes, I'll use 30 minutes. Besides it's IC and it should be kept that way. We are expected to hold a higher standard of rp and to be an example, this also means taking our time in the rp whether it's a simple infraction, someone who wants to talk to you or someone who just murdered someone. You don't get to decide how long someone else their rp should be. 

I agree but I also think that people in the community should take other people their time into account. This is aimed at everyone, not just law enforcement officers. If someone states he has to go IRL, we usually report for the person to be jailed by an admin rather than doing it ourselves to save time. I think it's a inconsiderate to take up someone's time when he mentions he has to go soon. Sometimes people end up in a situation where they have to roleplay when they did not initiate it it themselves (obv not talking about this one). 

One could also ague back on who ''you'''are to decide how long someone's RP takes.

Edited by Tseard
  • Upvote 1

Some of the above comments have hit the nail right on the head. If someone makes it very clear they're in a hurry to log off (regardless of the consequences), why not just make their lives easier? Instead of having an argument about who deals with a traffic stop, maybe have that argument after the fact so whoever you're pulling over isn't held up even longer. It's just common courtesy really.

I'm in no way saying skip or rush RP, but perhaps trim down on the details and time certain things differently to better accomodate people and their time.

13 minutes ago, arrdef said:

Hide contents

Between 2016 and 2019 I roleplayed almost exclusively in prison, both as a prisoner and a CO — I've had my chars detain more characters in a week than you probably do in 6 months.

During large brawls that involve 20+ people, we would maybe have people prone out for 15 minutes. Taking more than 20 minutes to resolve the situation, figure out who to move, who to interrogate, etc was a rarity. Because taking that long meant people would log off.

All of this to handle situations that are 100x more complicated and include 10x the amount of people involved in a traffic stop.

Whatever samp rp server that was is completely different to how GTAW rp is. 

Back on Lsrp I was able to arrest 2 people, pursue 1 and do 6 traffic stops in one hour. Here I can maybe do just one or two traffic stops in an hour time frame. 

Yes we are considering time and people having to go, but we also consider our own enjoyment. Just because someone has to go, doesn't mean we have to lose our own quality of rp. Cause then 75% of the time we'd be just "rushing" things. 

If you really have to go either drive normal or log off on the spot cause no one says you have to go home, or your business if you /REALLY/ have to go. 

@Tseard you know as well as I do that if someone has to go and don't have the time to engage in the so high rp standards that GTAW upholds they should just log off on the spot before engaging in any situation. 

Edited by goddessoflife

Agree with thread poster. Ive been arrested before taking 2+ hrs and most of it was just me in the back of a cruiser. A lot of times when u get to prison they just leave u outside in a cruiser while dealing with other people too. (Saw with my own eyes like 5 cops chilling doing nothing so it definently wasnt lack of manpower causing this slowness).

Not really that common though in my experience, it has happened sometimes but not enough for me to consider it a big problem

4 minutes ago, goddessoflife said:

@Tseard you know as well as I do that if someone has to go and don't have the time to engage in the so high rp standards that GTAW upholds they should just log off on the spot before engaging in any situation. 

I'm not saying that people should just shoot up others or commit crimes and then blame it on having to go, But generally I'll give people a break or the benefit of the doubt. If someone genuinely has to go, it won't make any RP any more interesting. I think we all have been in situations where you have to go during RP. 

We can't blame community members for you with: ''I sometimes have perimeter duty for 2 hours as well'' and we really shouldn't be using it as an argument against it.