Active Roleplay Timer for Jobs

malutukilo

As I once said,

"Roleplaying with yourself and yourself only is like jerking off to the mirror."

So yeah, please change this ASAP. I'm tired of constantly typing out "/ame breathes." or "/ame blinks." only to entertain MYSELF. I don't wanna entertain myself with roleplay if it's only ME seeing the roleplay. That makes completely no sense. I know that the timer is there to prevent people from going AFK but you already give players /fixrevive, /fixveh and a bunch of other commands because we're trusted and all passed an application. Why can't we be trusted with this system but instead we have to suffer?

Edited by hentai!
1 hour ago, hentai! said:

As I once said,

"Roleplaying with yourself and yourself only is like jerking off to the mirror."

So yeah, please change this ASAP. I'm tired of constantly typing out "/ame breathes." or "/ame blinks." only to entertain MYSELF. I don't wanna entertain myself with roleplay if it's only ME seeing the roleplay. That makes completely no sense. I know that the timer is there to prevent people from going AFK but you already give players /fixrevive, /fixveh and a bunch of other commands because we're trusted and all passed an application. Why can't we be trusted with this system but instead we have to suffer?

Sorry but this just comes across as very disingenuous. If you want to entertain yourself, go out and roleplay. You're not doing "/ame breathes." or "/ame blinks." to entertain yourself. You're in it for the money, plain and simple. This is why the system is in place. I saw people get kicked for repeating  "/ame breathes." or "/ame blinks.", so perhaps you shouldn't be doing that either.

3 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Sorry but this just comes across as very disingenuous. If you want to entertain yourself, go out and roleplay. You're not doing "/ame breathes." or "/ame blinks." to entertain yourself. You're in it for the money, plain and simple. This is why the system is in place. I saw people get kicked for repeating  "/ame breathes." or "/ame blinks.", so perhaps you shouldn't be doing that either.

Then tell me, please explain to me WHAT IS THE POINT OF ROLEPLAYING WHEN NOBODY ELSE SEES IT? Do you think I'm a magician who can just go *snaps fingers* and have people appear at the store I'm currently working at? No. But I don't wanna suffer and have to repeat lines of boring activities for two hours to get my paycheck. My character is in it for the money, I as a player, am there for the roleplay. I am there for the roleplay with other people, not with myself.

Also,

Go OuT aNd RoLePlAy

I agree, go out and roleplay. But while working at a 24/7 I can't really go out and roleplay. I have to sit on my ass, repeat /ame blinks until the customers arrive and pray that it's not going to be a boring shift. It's not my fault that I have to do this, if I have another cashier with me, then we can at least talk. When I'm alone, I can't do anything but spam some boring /ame because what is the point of extensive, beautiful roleplay when there's literally nobody to see it besides me? I know I can roleplay well, I don't need to roleplay with myself to prove to myself that I am a good roleplayer. And I don't need to roleplay for the server or the spectating admin to see. I will roleplay at the store as long as I have customers. When I don't have customers, I'm not going to type FOR SIXTY MINUTES STRAIGHT just to get a mediocre $4000 paycheck.

Go out and roleplay my ass, pardon my French. Not everyone roleplays a character who can work as a waiter, mechanic or anywhere in the RP job segment. Or maybe people want to work at these 24/7s to bring roleplay to these places and make it look like there's an active community in a specific area. I'd love to have 120 customers in an hour but that is not possible, so forcing us to type some BS every minute or so to kill time and prove we're not AFK is just pointless and annoying.

I roleplay at these stores to have encounters with people, that is my goal, bringing RP to people and making the server look more immersive because now there's a cashier who will scan your pack of condoms for you and you don't have to just NPC it. I'd appreciate if the admins removed that idiotic timer, it just makes your job harder. This is a roleplay server after all, and I wanna mention one last thing before someone quotes "This is a roleplay server" in a mocking manner.

Yes, this is a roleplay server. We're here to roleplay with each other. We're here to portray realistic characters in a realistic world and we're all doing our best.

Roleplay only counts when other people see it, when it's only you seeing it - it doesn't matter. One of the rules says you're expected to be roleplaying 24/7 - that doesn't mean I have to roleplay with myself at my house. This rule is there to force you to roleplay any screws ups you might make on your own. For example your car flips or you fall off a bike - that's why you're expected to RP 24/7, I never saw anyone fall off a bike and just get back up like "tis but a stratch".
If this rule was so literal, you'd be BANNED for not roleplaying pressing the gas pedal as you speed off in your car. Or you'd get a warning for turning in game using the A key but not doing "/me turns the steering wheel to the left, hitting the apex of the corner properly.".

Also, if this rule was taken seriously we wouldn't see people sprinting around like retards. Because another thing to this rule is that it prevents you from doing retarded things. Roleplay at all times means act like a human, move realistically and drive realistically. and whatever, you get the point. It doesn't mean "roleplay turning the steering wheel or I'll ban you".

And let me remind you about one last thing. THIS IS JUST A GAME. Of course, it's a game with it's own specific rules that we must all follow in order to have a good experience, but it's a game nonetheless and it should be rather enjoyable to all of us. Having to type BS in chat every minute or so while you work is NOT fun. It's not fun, it's stupid, it's suffering. You're in it for the money but that doesn't mean you're working a real job. You're playing a f-ing game, stop making it so serious.

Edited by hentai!

I think you should have to be active but not every minute, that is so hard even amongst active roleplay its sometimes difficult to RP every minute. Perhaps they could think about extending it 2-3 minutes to allow players a fairer chance to earn money whilst at the same time continuing to RP?

• Upvote 1

I support this 100% percent, I've experienced working in a restaurant for straight up 3 hours and gets paid only for an hour. I don't really mind and care about the money, but for someone that tried developing their character from poor to being a middle class man, it's not helping. While my character development class is improving ICly, but financially speaking, I'm not getting any richer.

I disagree with people saying that there's gonna be a lot of people abusing it if it were to be changed, players in this server are trusted with /fixveh and I haven't seen anyone abusing it, this server has a really great community, I'm not saying that it's guaranteed that people aren't gonna abuse it, but we could also suggest a new rule that if you're just gonna AFK and comes back once in awhile so you keep your timer running, it can lead to a ban, simple as that.

1 hour ago, Peak. said:

I think you should have to be active but not every minute, that is so hard even amongst active roleplay its sometimes difficult to RP every minute. Perhaps they could think about extending it 2-3 minutes to allow players a fairer chance to earn money whilst at the same time continuing to RP?

It already is 3 minutes and it's not working out. As someone said earlier, for a community that's trusted to use /fixrevive /fixloc /vget and other stuff, which can easily be abused... it wouldn't hurt to have the timer extended to anywhere between 7-10 minutes, I'd say 5 but even 5 is thinning an already thinned line. I get it, we all do... it's a roleplay server, you're meant to roleplay... no need to point out the obvious (not directed at you @Peak., just saying overall for everyone), but what most people don't get is... or do get and just say: "Go roleplay actively" to say it, is nobody is really going to sit behind a counter for 3 hours to get 12k total for a job and type a /me every second minute even, even a lot of the "active" roleplaying factions within this community type a emote at a minimum of 1 per 3 minutes, and that's with outer world roleplay happening, so when you're stuck behind a counter in a 24/7 or somewhere else in a business that doesn't have outer world roleplay happening and you're waiting for people to come by, the timer should definitely be extended to 1 emote or roleplay chat line per 7 minutes.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, bidi bidi bom bom said:

It already is 3 minutes and it's not working out. As someone said earlier, for a community that's trusted to use /fixrevive /fixloc /vget and other stuff, which can easily be abused... it wouldn't hurt to have the timer extended to anywhere between 7-10 minutes, I'd say 5 but even 5 is thinning an already thinned line. I get it, we all do... it's a roleplay server, you're meant to roleplay... no need to point out the obvious (not directed at you @Peak., just saying overall for everyone), but what most people don't get is... or do get and just say: "Go roleplay actively" to say it, is nobody is really going to sit behind a counter for 3 hours to get 12k total for a job and type a /me every second minute even, even a lot of the "active" roleplaying factions within this community type a emote at a minimum of 1 per 3 minutes, and that's with outer world roleplay happening, so when you're stuck behind a counter in a 24/7 or somewhere else in a business that doesn't have outer world roleplay happening and you're waiting for people to come by, the timer should definitely be extended to 1 emote or roleplay chat line per 7 minutes.

It's not 3 right now? Huh?

And I agree with the suggestion in general, I'd like to try my hand at this sort of stuff, but have been moving away from it because I tried it once and it took me 2.5-3h to reach that 1h mark.

The simple point is that people shouldn’t have to force role play actions and with the timer where it currently is that’s what happens. 60 /me’s an hour when garbage jobs have people zooming around like their trucks are go karts making $3150 every 20 minutes or so with far less actions? Taxi’s (who don’t make a lot of money outside of the hourly stipend) having to write 60 /me’s an hour when truckers are putting one half-assed /me every few minutes? Ridiculous. 

As some people have said even in player-owned businesses, it’s just busy work having to type /me’s every minute. That’s not enjoyable after a while because in between customers and even when customers are there, you become focused on the timer more than the customer. We’re here to enjoy ourselves too. Not everyone wants to RP a mechanic, garbage man or truck driver.

Attention should be paid when these hourly stipend businesses are open. If people are abusing the mechanic, report them! Don’t punish people who are trying to bring different RP opportunities to an area by working at a gas station or 24/7. I play in a time zone where half the time I’d be lucky to get 1-2 customers an hour working at a 24/7. Eventually you run out of things to /me every minute by yourself. There’s only so much one can do. The 60 second timer discourages people from even trying it. That’s where the problem comes in.

Edited by Chief
  • mj2002 locked this topic