Force a % of prison sentence to be IC [G]

27 minutes ago, nateX said:

I was all about this up until I actually went into jail myself. I spent probably around 5 hours of my sentences IC, during that time I've seen 4 people actually RP, the rest just stand in their prison cells and AFK. I've also witnessed some of the worst RP in prison overall. Here's just an example
image.png.a49f8635ea1755cca5577aa768b5c6da.png
image.png.ea2f4cc1bdf479b1adf9d61949737923.png
image.png.9382dc4c39e53e09af366809d42df71c.png

When dat jail be empty. 😓🤣🤣

32 minutes ago, nateX said:

I was all about this up until I actually went into jail myself. I spent probably around 5 hours of my sentences IC, during that time I've seen 4 people actually RP, the rest just stand in their prison cells and AFK. I've also witnessed some of the worst RP in prison overall. Here's just an example
image.png.a49f8635ea1755cca5577aa768b5c6da.png
image.png.ea2f4cc1bdf479b1adf9d61949737923.png
image.png.9382dc4c39e53e09af366809d42df71c.png

books_kids_everyonePoops_sqMAIN.jpg

It has almost been a year, and I fully support this suggestion.

My main issue is that when I've attempted to initiate roleplay with players, they simply ignore it. How can people complain that it's boring when they won't even get involved?

Edited by DLimit

How do we change this, then? I understand that prison's lack of appeal can often appear or entirely be OoCly driven and selfish ("I don't want to be in prison" is a common one), but if what goes on is something like @nateX showed, then I mean ... I don't want to be in prison either, lol.

Besides being 'criminals' in the vaguest sense, we can't really expect that what is essentially a series of randomly selected players who dropped into a closed environment produce only the best role-play when they have little in common or no shared goals; besides getting out, anyway. It takes connected, known, dedicated, and communicating groups weeks or months to establish factions in an environment of their choosing. Prison is plainly difficult, and it's even more difficult to motivate oneself to put in that time for role-play when it's occurring in the most bubble-like bubble in the server and your efforts rarely translate into anything tangible outside of the prison.

I've seen this before, where there's no or poor role-play in prison, so nobody role-plays while in prison, but because nobody role-plays in prison, there's no role-play or only poor role-play in prison, so nobody role-plays while in prison, ad nauseam. What came first is a pointless debate. Turning to LS:RP, I know that switching to a mandatory 'hours' system for prison did in fact increase role-play, but that's overlooking the immense effort for role-play that Corrections and Peckerwood Nation had put into the place at around the same time. Simply making things 'mandatory' isn't what made prison on LS:RP as good as it got in 2011-14 or so. Both these groups did their role-play before the hour system, meaning regardless of how poor the state of things was, Corrections still tried to provide role-play, and Peckerwood members were voluntarily putting themselves into prison in order to create their RP without any guarantees that people coming into the prison system would even log-in during their sentences. At some point the cycle broke, and 'prison RP' stopped being an oxymoron.

So either the server slaps something together to provide consistent prison events for role-play to center around, or we wait for a very generous person or group to put in the work themselves.

Edited by Exploits

I've seen some numbers bouncing around like 20%. But still you need to take into account active hours. 20% of 20 days is what, 4 days? So 96 hours of required time in game. Instead of using full days do active hours. Maybe 4-8 hours per day. So that 96 hours turns into 32 hours or 16 hours. 

I like the thought of forced time in the prison cause I'd like prison to be more than an IC ban, which is what quite a few people treat it like.

Im gonna be honest, when I first joined the server almost 2 years back and was a noob the first time I got caught I was about to log to avoid jailtime after learning it would be several hours, then my friend told me you can do your time while offline. So I stayed on. Then I found out it goes down 3x faster when you're IG so I willingly chose to stay ingame and RP. This system is way better than being forced, which will inevitably lead to AFKing, you guys saying "just report it" isn't gonna change the fact. LSRP tried that, it lead to more ajails and kicks, it didn't lead to less AFKing.

I actually RP in prison willingly as a lifer and this suggestion would fuck us all over, the people who want this are clearly not prison rpers or even crim rpers, this suggestion is terrible and will decrease the appeal and quality of the server. 

19 minutes ago, ThatMuricanGuy said:

I've seen some numbers bouncing around like 20%. But still you need to take into account active hours. 20% of 20 days is what, 4 days? So 96 hours of required time in game. Instead of using full days do active hours. Maybe 4-8 hours per day. So that 96 hours turns into 32 hours or 16 hours. 

I like the thought of forced time in the prison cause I'd like prison to be more than an IC ban, which is what quite a few people treat it like.

how would this even work. Forget the opinion part of it, how do we actually RP for those several hours.

If you're in a timezone other than peak? You'll be the only person in prison and will have 2 options: Solo RP for 5 hours doing repetitive /me's, or AFK. I know which I'd choose.

And even if you're somehow on at peaktime, and there's magically several prisoners online. It's prison, how do you suggest they create RP with these people? It's a naturally hostile enviroment filled with several criminals, you can't just walk over to people and talk to them, especially if you're not the same race. So as I said before your options are once again repetitive /me's, poor/unrealistic RP, or AFKing. I know which I'd choose. (Unless you're in a prison faction, but those that are already willingly RP in prison)

Or you could not try be friendly and RP hostile. Wait no you can't because you can't fight in prison unless 2 deputies are on, making your options AFKing or reptitive /me's once again.

People who support this are completely inconsiderate to other timezones, and are most likely not prison rpers since they don't seem to know much about prisons and what kind of RP can actually happen while remaining realistic.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 2:02 PM, Pathway said:

I actually RP in prison willingly as a lifer and this suggestion would fuck us all over, the people who want this are clearly not prison rpers or even crim rpers, this suggestion is terrible and will decrease the appeal and quality of the server. 

As one of the original lifers in TTCF I don't agree with you what so ever, though I do understand where your coming from. Right now the RP inside is really fun when it's popping because everyone pretty much RP's their role really well. But, it also feels like a fucking  supermax when almost everybody is a career criminal and involved with the prison gangs. TTCF is, and always should be a county jail, it should feel like a county jail. I understand though that there are a lot of people that if this change would go into effect would challenge the prison gangs at every turn. However I think if the activity levels went, it might justify having an admin spectating there when RP is happening. That way if someone is being unrealistic af it can be addressed quickly. Hell, don't five or six staff members have SD alts already? They could literally spectate the RP, while RPing.

• MomoIsHere changed the title to Force a % of prison sentence to be IC [G]
  • mj2002 locked this topic