remove car plates from /dl

Quincy
Message added by sevo,

Reminder to all users to consider the forum rules when replying to this topic, specifically:

Users are not permitted to derail suggestion threads in any way even if they are made to joke with the author or other users. Users must reply in accordance with the suggested topic and refrain from posting meme, off-topic pictures, bashing other users/factions, etc

1 hour ago, Quincy said:

Title sums it up. Reading through recent PD / SD reports, most of the LEO roleplayers have /dl enabled, specifically so they can easier read car plates especially when they shouldn't be able to, prompting abuse.

I disagree. The reason cops drive with /DL enabled sometimes is because only specialized units like traffic, special enforcement/swat and detectives have access to ALPR. This is to prevent overuse and abuse. Sometimes depending on rear end damage and other things of that nature, plates are hard to read. Let's say a cop pulls directly behind you for a traffic stop, you sit there for a good 2 minutes and decide to evade later on. That license plate would be on the dashcam mounted to the car, no? Cops using /DL to read a license plate is not abusive at all. Obviously if you're in a situation where your plate would likely not have been readable from a specific distance and the cop has roleplayed having your plate due to some kind of abuse, you should report it just as anyone else who suspects another player of breaking the rules.

I have Shadowplay on when I patrol, but even when I 'check my dashcam' to see which car ran off it's next to impossible to read plate without /dl on. We already severely limit how many people can use the Automatic License Plate Reader systems, we're not gonna handicap ourselves more because of GTA's problems.

2 hours ago, Quincy said:

Title sums it up. Reading through recent PD / SD reports, most of the LEO roleplayers have /dl enabled, specifically so they can easier read car plates especially when they shouldn't be able to, prompting abuse.

So ALPR is abuse too? Stop being pathetic, thanks. -1

• Upvote 2

-1 If you have no plate on your vehicle RP'ly? Do what PeopleKind stated before and use the script command to do so, if you get caught with no plates? That's on you really. 

Usage of /DL is very useful as as stated above it makes it so that you can actually read a plate when you are close enough to the vehicle in question, yes it can be abused, so can peoples names above their head. Not everyone on the server is here to abuse commands.

I see absolutely no reason for this personally. As what most here mentioned, plates are very easy to read IRL because you have a first person perspective, whereas in-game you're in third person, further away and thus it's harder to read the plate because they're realistically sized. It's not unreasonable to have /dl turned on in my opinion.

Edited by Vindicator

Not supporting this due to being limited to graphics capabilities on how well you can read the plates and even then as others have said we play in third person. Every member of a LEO faction is entrusted not to abuse their position and any findings that they are breaching rules, are punished. So I don't see a point in limiting /dl just because you assume it's being abused. If I don't see the plates I'm always fair in asking in /do if they are visible. Without ALPR you are relaying on /dl to be even able to call in the plates without hurting your eyes trying to read them.

Just to get a sense as to how easy is to read plates in real life. I have a friend that remembers cars just by their plates, not vehicle model or color, but he checks the plates and sees if he knows the vehicle or not. But here it's practically impossible to do so without /dl.

A very big -1 from me.