What do you think about non-Gang illegal RP?

Mistery14

Let's set the definition; non-Gang illegal RP refers to anything illegal that's outside of the scope of the Los Santos street gangs.

- This can range from a small group of corrupt police officers operating together, to a plotting cash-in-transit employee, a small-time dealer operating alone or with a friend, a homeless person with a shoplifting and car-stealing habit, a couple of white-collar criminals who occasionally get together to plan heists.

You get the gist.

Personally, I think the concepts are definitely not absent but are pretty rare, and should be explored more by players. Not because Gang RP is bad, but because it seems like the default on GTA W when people think about crime and illegal RP. Sure, Joining a gang is a good way to begin illegal RP and to expand your character's sphere of influence of course, but being in a gang also imposes restrictions you might not see when you're operating on your own or with a small group and in my opinion, should not be the default of illegal RP.

For example, your actions aren't tied to the leaders of a gang and their own interests, but rather a collective decision where you get to explore more areas in roleplay.

The other part of the problem might be a slightly more controversial topic to raise: Guns. Or rather, the lack of them.

I'm not talking about being robbed or scammed here - This is a whole other can of worms, I'm talking about suppliers themselves being extremely scarce outside of the scope of gangs, because gangs bring the highest profit, outsiders are trouble to them because each new customer is a potential snitch or bring them bad business, therefore they default to supplying gangs. How can we fix that?

So, what do you think about it?

• Upvote 2

I think there is actually more non-gang illegal RP than meets the eye. A small web of understated but influential underworld figures. But by its very nature it has to be quiet, because these people are either in very small groups (sub 5 as per the faction rules) or obviously can't really outgun or "fight" a gang for more influence (whether they're limited by time, resources, or man power).

These people are usually among the best roleplayers I have encountered, though. Because they are often self-motivated and have focused, unique ideas about their characters and what they do.

Edited by K0range4
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

I think this is where the real meat of the illegal RP scene is. Gang RP can be fun and all, but it having been around for so long people have an entrenched view of how it's 'supposed' to be done that often makes it feel very formulaic and stale if you've done it before. You're also often forced to interact with a lot of bad apples which is rarely a good time and there's a certain unwritten rule that once the gang ends all the characters do too that makes long term character development near impossible in all but the most successful factions. Even those you might join while they're on the way out without ever knowing it.

As for the gun thing, I tend to be pro gun scarcity just because I find that the inclusion of guns makes the RP worse more often than not (not saying they shouldn't exist, just saying that every other conflict RP ending with somebody quick-drawing a pistol and doming the other while they're typing isn't a great interaction). That being said the market only being open to gangs is obviously not great if it's true. I can't really blame the suppliers for doing smart business though. Fixing it is kind of hard as long as there isn't some strong incentive to sell to independents or a rule forcing you to. Finding independents to deal with is difficult from the supplier's perspective too because there isn't really an easy way for them to differentiate potential customers from regular civilians without already knowing them personally, and if it's a friend of theirs there's a good chance they already are supplying them.

The only solution I could think of is for some kind of open black market to exist, but without the dark web I'm not sure how you'd make such a thing work.

My second favourite character was a Roma bootleg street vendor that eventually moved up to selling firearms, while extorted by the mob, through a pawn shop in Davis. One of the greatest experiences that I've ever had.

As for the question? Non-Gang Members can own P.F. and C.C.W. licenses. That's one of the balances. 

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 1

All of my characters engage in illegal RP in some way. Sura, my main, tries to be as legal as possible, but she did murder someone once for being a mega creep and likely predator (and then shortly after was in the hospital for a suicide attempt for it). Del, my (m) character, will do petty freeroam teen shit, like tag buildings, vandalize random shit, or shoplift with a group of friends. Notsu, my elderly character, is just a straight up racist sociopath, and will go out of her way to try and try to seriously harm certain minorities if they're acting outside of her narrow view for acceptable behavior. Before I CK'd her, I also played Brishiana who was just a homeless junky, and all I did was fuck around trying to cause as much hell as possible and get in police chases, while staying within the rules.

None of my characters were ever part of any factions (Del was sorta with the Hessians before she cut ties with them), and a major reason for that is because I just have zero interest in faction RP, or organized illegal RP. Its fun to just kinda fuck around, no strings attached. I feel like that's a huge allure of GTA in general, causing crimes without ruining your IRL life. My characters will TRY to stay as legal as possible, but they all have various personality flaws that will drive them to commit crimes.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...