What is proper rich/wealthy roleplay?

Busch

1 hour ago, R0xx0r said:

As my last idea I am not happy that players cannot purchase mansions yet even though there are hundreds of unscripted ones, collecting dust and only whoever is in good terms with PM get their hands on some.

I thought we debunked this rumor a few pages back in this thread. Might want to read up on it to avoid spreading this false narrative around.

1 hour ago, Anselmi said:

If you want to roleplay being wealthy you should at least concoct a story that makes sense, not just "I fished for 200 hours, my character can afford this fancy car now" - when realistically they wouldn't be able to.

So why do I need to grind money for 30 hours if that's not my backstory? Why am I not spawning with 1 billion dollars from the start?

I'm not sure if you're seeing the double standard, one the one hand you say that the money is not IC but on the other hand you need to do those activities IC to get money in the first place. You want to treat the money as IC and OOC at the same time.

You CK your character and rename them, to start playing a millionaire and voila, it makes sense now. 

There is an issue with having to grind money on Character A like it's some MMO just so you can namechange them into the character ( B ) you actually wanted to play from the start.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
24 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

I thought we debunked this rumor a few pages back in this thread. Might want to read up on it to avoid spreading this false narrative around.

8QNgaGy.png

K1dgyI5.png

B7RCuIl.png

ZvEA33B.png

Four multi million dollar mansions that were already claimed when the Del Perro, Sandy, Morningwood update came out.

12 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

So why do I need to grind money for 30 hours if that's not my backstory? Why am I not spawning with 1 billion dollars from the start?

I'm not sure if you're seeing the double standard, one the one hand you say that the money is not IC but on the other hand you need to do those activities IC to get money in the first place. You want to treat the money as IC and OOC at the same time.

There is an issue with having to grind money on Character A like it's some MMO just so you can namechange them into the character ( B ) you actually wanted to play from the start.

You need to grind money through "roleplay" cause they have no background selection option and they don't have it, cause they know people would abuse it. I can think of an example right away, criminals choosing this option to buy assault rifles right off the bat, fresh start fully armed already. I mean it's not rare even now. Plus people think roleplaying means starting from zero walking to hero. Yeah MMOs do that and that's not roleplaying.

17 minutes ago, Henning said:

Four multi million dollar mansions that were already claimed when the Del Perro, Sandy, Morningwood update came out.

None of these are owned by players and were added on the server as part of that expansion.
While looking at the map which I am going to provide a snippet off, you may notice that these are all marked with a "L" which stands for "Later". What this means, is that they were (and are) not to be made available on the free market. They were simply added for the purpose of covering the area and not having to go back to add them at a later date if we were to find a purpose for them.

Bv8BhZq.png

Hopefully this will give you a bit of insight into the way Property Management is working when it comes to expansion plans.
You may see from the /pinfo screenshot provided (these are all identical, so I'm not going to post every single one of them) that none of these have an actual owner, a value or even a interior. So, I fail to see how this proves a claim of PM handing these out to "our friends".

Next time, just ask us instead of making false claims based on assumptions to farm reputation on the forums, please.

VbSosIJ.png

Edited by Thirteen
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

Script money should have no relevance in how someone would like to roleplay their character. If someone wants to roleplay being wealthy or from a wealthy background that's entirely on them. As for the portrayal of wealth, it's obviously varied. I'm sure there's plenty on the server that see high end cars / clothes and immediately declare the individual with them a "mallrat" or whatever, but in reality a wealthy person can be snotty upper class, or down to earth and modest. There's no defined "oh this is how RICH PEOPLE act." And there really shouldn't be. The only thing that shouldn't happen is someone roleplaying being rich working a million different jobs just to acquire that wealth. 

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

criminals choosing this option to buy assault rifles right off the bat

The server cannot really control how 200+ people earn and spend their money. The server CAN control the flux of automatic weapons that enter market, since as far as I know you can only obtain those through admins. ( weapon suppliers who the admins pick that is )

The issue is with the supply not with the demand. 

20 hours ago, Giles said:

The hard part is that people view “rich” subjectively based on their own opinions and experiences.

This.

21 hours ago, Chuck Lee said:

we have been role playing corporations and a lifestyle that’s not suitable and realistic. 

Can you elaborate on this and what was ''wrong''?

Alot of rich people aren't particularly 'normal'. It's nice to see people roleplaying 'rich' characters with certain flaws. Looking at modern day CEO's and celebrity stars, problems can vary from criminal involvement to fetishes and addictions.

My main bone to pick with RPing running a multinational or huge corporation is that there isn't enough of a player-base or an advanced enough economy to support such a company existing unless you gloss over a bunch of details or NPC them. The demand isn't there, the money isn't there, the manpower isn't there and the scale isn't there. And by extension I don't think there is enough money to RP super-filthy rich.