What is proper rich/wealthy roleplay?

Busch

I don't know why people are lost in such topic. I guess it is because this is a materialistic roleplay topic. BUt this topic can be easily solved by facts.

When you're rich because you're a hard working businesman you have two things. Enegry and Money, but you lack TIME because you have to work.
Now to the rich lifestyle. There are few things are necessities for your rich RP. 
1: The bank account.
2: Businesess/Job.
3: Properties/homes.
4: Vehicles you own.
5: The way you spend money on daily basis/ lifestyle.

Now these 5 steps work like a pyramid. (Order by relevance).

1: First comes the bank account. The easiest one. No discussion, and not matter what your reason of RP is for being rich. Be it the "lame" reason of coming from a rich family, or be it that you worked hard to achieve your wealth. Doesn't matter money is money. Money is there in the bank account, and we have the choice to RP every penny in the bank account or rp only a few thousands if we're rping a poor person.
PS: You can be rich by being a poker player/ gambler. 

2: When it comes to businesses you can either run them yourself, or hire people to do it for you. No matter what, they're yours and the epicenter of your income. If you run them yourself you run into issues of having to work more. When you hire people to run your businesses it means that you can spend the time. We'll go at it on the point 5. If this is not convincing, read point 1.

3: Luckily enough properties/homes are the most steady and safe income in world. IRL people who have wealth just become landlords, and collect rents. This is a great way to RP rich, because after you own two properties, the 3rd one comes 1.5 times more expensive, which means you pay a lot of taxes for such investment, therefore you probably have the money to back up such investment. If this is not convincing go back to point 2.

4: Vehicles. This one is pretty easy. The car you drive shows the money you have, if it is an expensive one it shows, unless you're not trying to hide your wealth by driving good cheap cars, which is still great. But if you're able to afford a great car, or 2 great cars, or 3 great cars and so on, it means that you're able to switch around your vehicles daily, and also able to cover the expenses of fuel, as each car has it's own fuel consumption rate. If this is not convincing go to point 3.

5: Your lifestyle is a great indicator, but hard to notice in an RP enviroment. None the less, the way you spend your wealth is what shows what type of person you are. To mention some stereotypes; The one with the legacy from his parents, tends to be more spoiled and carefree. The one who won the lottery tends to spend on things he always dreamed to have. The one who worked hard, tend to be more careful with expenses as he appreciates the money more, but still spends money on luxuries mentioned in point 2,3,4 because he can. And there is the exception of the one who's rich but hides it, which is still a great RP.

Now all these points can be used to determine what is wealthy RP and who is wealthy. If you start talking about a character in a topic that is purely materialistic, you'll end up going down on a spiral of endless replies. That is why point 5 is the last one in my pyramid.

Everyone has his own character and it would be really bad to take specific example and at the same time would be just as bad to take stereotypes for example. That's why we should focus on point 1, 2, 3, 4 as they're more materialistic and easy to determine. Point 5 is what rounds up a wealthy character.

Edited by Gambler
  • 2 weeks later...

@Giles had the right idea. Script money is script money. I've got roleplayed-poor characters with most of their starter money untouched. I also have a teenager I roleplayed as coming from a rich, affluent family who drove an expensive SUV before saying fuck it and moving out to the desert. Trying to force people to only roleplay a "rich type" if they have the money OOCly promotes more senseless "grind instead of RP" attitudes. I'm not saying go around giving mansions to players with 50K, but be a little more lenient.

• 8 months later...