What is proper rich/wealthy roleplay?

Busch

On 3/3/2020 at 12:10 PM, VisioningHail said:

My main bone to pick with RPing running a multinational or huge corporation is that there isn't enough of a player-base or an advanced enough economy to support such a company existing unless you gloss over a bunch of details or NPC them. The demand isn't there, the money isn't there, the manpower isn't there and the scale isn't there. And by extension I don't think there is enough money to RP super-filthy rich.

Well put... I think an exception could be made for someone who rakes in lets say... 20 Million from a truly genuine idea.... But I honestly have not seen any "from the bottom to the top" RP that turns millions without exploiting a "bare bones" economy and glamorizing the notorious job grinds....

1 hour ago, Chuck Lee said:

You can’t be super rich in this economy. Doesn’t work like the real one and if it did it would certainly bore many people.

While I understand why this is the general conception, I am inclined to slightly disagree. You can act as rich as your imagination allows on a realistic level. It  is just somewhat difficult because the economy is not compareable to the ones we are used to but still doable.

Acting rich in my opinion is not about driving around in a Pariah in over the top clothing, owning a helicopter and a big house. But rather attenting posh events like political ones, owning and managing successful establishments or businesses, aka holding an executive position among employees. Make connections with other "successful" people and keep them close. 

Before you know it, it will be a lot cheaper for you to act and in the above way be perceived as "wealthy" at the very least. Not based off your total assets, but by your characters interests and actions, being in the right places at the right times with the right people.

Holding matching assets is only a "bonus" to that perception of seeming rich.

It's all depends on how you RP it honestly. 

You need to properly RP your past, how you gained your wealth and you need to know how to live the "rich life" as realistic as possible. 

I think RPing a multi-millionaire / billionaire is a bit of a /MEH/, a person with wealth above the average with a nice car and a nice house (not those hypercars) is the way to go in my eyes!  

1 hour ago, Arnzeal said:

While I understand why this is the general conception, I am inclined to slightly disagree. You can act as rich as your imagination allows on a realistic level. It  is just somewhat difficult because the economy is not compareable to the ones we are used to but still doable.

Acting rich in my opinion is not about driving around in a Pariah in over the top clothing, owning a helicopter and a big house. But rather attenting posh events like political ones, owning and managing successful establishments or businesses, aka holding an executive position among employees. Make connections with other "successful" people and keep them close. 

Before you know it, it will be a lot cheaper for you to act and in the above way be perceived as "wealthy" at the very least. Not based off your total assets, but by your characters interests and actions, being in the right places at the right times with the right people.

Holding matching assets is only a "bonus" to that perception of seeming rich.

The point is you can’t be rich since it doesn’t work like real life does. IRL a trucking company takes 70-80 percent of a delivery. Here in game we take 20. 

On 3/5/2020 at 12:37 AM, Alexandra_Forge said:

Fishing is actually profitable... ?…… I think the biggest thing here is that the economy doesn't support having SUPER rich people...

Fishing is profitable, to an extent. You won't be getting money for your fish if your assets exceed 400 thousands including properties and cars, cca...maybe it's less.

Edited by Engelbert
5 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Fishing is profitable, to an extent. You won't be getting money for your fish if your assets exceed 400 thousands including properties and cars, cca...maybe it's less.

I ment IRL ?

Thing is, people are too skeptical of having a commodity based system... For instance, mapping a house? That furniture should be created by someone and lumber should be used... Instead of paying 1000 for a wall (Don't quote me, I do not map) and have that money be dumped into the script.. Why not allow 1-2 people harvest/create items needed in a mapping project? --- I know some people would object.... Because they want to map without having to RP anything..... But... The benefit to our economy and the opportunity for robust, interconnected economic jobs ( outside of the Scriptly) would be phenomenal. If you want something IRL, you buy it... That item was made by someone (A company etc) and it was made from raw resources...

Edited by Alexandra_Forge
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

I mean, if the roleplay is there then it shouldn't be a problem, right?

I'll take my character, Leonard Campbell, as an example. He's a DJ in Los Santos that was never planned on being "wealthy" or "famous".

After a couple of months of DJing, I started experiencing people refer to him as famous or well known and "You must be rich" was thrown around a lot, when that started to come up naturally ICly I started slowly progressing him towards being actually well off. I'd made sure that I keep on DJing and be a part of events around the city to really hammer down the notion that he would be a "celebrity" in some sense.

I see people roleplaying recognizing him and even had a hand full of people that choose to roleplay stuttering when he speaks to them. It's all great fun but it's all based on how people on the server decided to perceive him, and people started to push the whole "He's famous" narrative so I just oblige and it really pushed my roleplay to something that nobody can just demand cause "my character would be famous" but people don't even know your name.

I think the same should be considered in Busch's case. If people acknowledge the fact that they are wealthy, then I'd say that is all that is needed. And if the roleplay from Busch's side is there as well as the number on the right and assets are roleplay correctly then yeah, The Busche's are rich and wealthy.

In the end, I hope civilian RPers get a slice of the cake as well as the criminal masterminds that laundry money and own clubs. Do we really only want kingpins up in vinewood hills?

Spoiler

When they released the new properties I told everyone that if the Busch's don't get a big house, I'm rioting.

Many of you have a misconception about wealth. Most of you don't talk about the "wealthy" people in reality. What most of you talk about is the upper-middle class. You need to differentiate the two, @Chuck Lee. What your character plays is the upper-middle class. I will demonstrate to make it easier to understand: 

Global%2Bwealth%2Bopyramid.png

The people most of you talking about is not the top of the pyramid. You are talking about the green slice and there is a huge difference in behavior between the actively working (entrepreneurial layer) and the passively working layer in reality. As far as I know, you guys portray the green slice and the fancy things around the moves you make (dressing nicely, usually going to nice places, maintaining a higher-class portray, caring about your one-two business more than anything) is a very good portrayal for the green slice.

This is how people in the upper-middle-class think and behave. But when it comes to the wealthiest one percent, things change. These people's wealth is incomparable to anything else in our world. The attitude of these people can be portrayed with one single sentence: they do what they have the mood for. And at this point, you cannot bring this discussion between straight points in behavior. 

I believe this topic is hard (and also exciting!) enough to bring in some book recommendations. 

• The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life
  • Timothy Ferriss - The 4-Hour Workweek
  • Gary Vaynerchuck - Crushing it!

For anyone who wants to understand the behavioral difference between the layers in our society, I recommend to read these books in your spare time. If you are a video guy/gal, I recommend the YouTube channel called "The Futur" which is a very good place to learn about the business world and the different thinking methods in life.