Is it me or.. the removal of /vpark is a bad idea (at the current state of RageMP, sync wise)

Vash Baldeus

Just now, Franelli said:

Buying locks to secure your vehicle is common sense really. If anything people were simply abusing the /vpark system to despawn their vehicle each time they're not directly facing it / it gets out of their sight to prevent it being stolen. You can argue that it would cost you money - sure it will. Buying a vehicle never ends at paying the purchase price, even in real life. There's gas, insurance, taxes and maintenance - all these require a constant flow of payments from the vehicle owner. This is not that much different. 

To play devil's advocate, I would point out that getting an upgraded lock for your car isn't something I've ever seen done in real life - and that we already have gas, taxes, and insurance costs for a vehicle.

There are many sensible reasons for needing to /vpark your vehicle, from the aforementioned issue with garages (if they work for everyone else, I'll have to report mine) to RPing that they're being stored in an area that doesn't have a scripted garage to the simple fact that you're logging out. If my character is sleeping in his car, for instance, it makes no sense that when I log back on the car will be gone.

I still think removing /vpark is a bad idea, mind, but if it's something that's going to happen then we may as well iron out potential issues while the feature is fresh - as well as make the feature friendlier towards new players. Something as simple as "if you log off while driving a vehicle, it disappears with you" would be an immense help in this regard.

I can see the concerns with this change but genuinely believe it is for the best, sure if your point is that having your car stolen means that the roleplay is no longer fun for you, that is a personal opinion at best.

Of course it is going to suck when you lose your car however really it could open a lot more doors for your roleplay. For example, you could be in contact with the LSPD and actively work to find it in the event you have a tracking device inside your vehicle. If you're an illegal character then there is vendetta's that could come from it should the vehicle have sentimental value or contains something that shouldn't be lost.

As for the fact you can't despawn it whenever you want does not really have a downside, they said that it would be enabled around your properties and with the appropriate radius that would be more than enough. It may be an idea to also extend that to garages or set up a ticket/toll system at the non-scripted parking lots around the map that people put their car in to so that it remains there and isn't up for grabs on the road.

All in all this will create more realism and crack down on people just stash large amounts of items in a vehicle that just chills in populated areas. There is still going to be things that need to be ironed out and those should be explored before shutting down the idea entirely.

I can see valid points in all of this. @Siglim @Smilesville @Franelli

Therefore I would like you to look at my previous suggestion (See quote below). Maybe I'll make it an official suggestion later in the suggestion board, after discussing it here.

Seeing more cars is a great look. And not being able to /vpark or respawn your vehicle everywhere is lovely realism. However I can see some truth in @Siglim's words. I'd like to suggest that cars will be able to respawn at your house after being offline for more than 3-4 days, if they were stolen or moved to another location. Also look at my underground parking lot suggestion.

On the other hand you could always call for a towing service from the police or mechanics and get your car back (During peak hours that is.. mechanics aren't always online).

Also, taking a car away from a private garage won't be so easy, since every player needs admin permission to /vbreakin.

I also think the underground parking lot will fix Smileville's argument on the system being too hard on new players. They'll hire a cheaper underground parking spot, but it is probably further from home.

21 hours ago, Triple-J said:

I love the amount of realism this would add. However I'd like to make suggestion.
I know we can buy a garage box or rent one (They're hard to find.. for me, so far. But I believe the system isn't fully working yet?)

However it might be an idea to implement so called "Underground" car parks.

The player would be able to type /vpark at realistic garage locations infront of a closed garage door and park their car "under ground". 
This will despawn the vehicle. 

We could have like 8-10 of these underground parking lots around the map, with a limit of let's say 200-250 cars.

- It would surely help the server client. Less damage on syncronisation.

- Players would be able to park their (second) car in there.

- Cheaper solution compared to owning your own garage or renting a garage box.

- Realistic.

19 hours ago, Bandit1 said:

What if you live far from the closest garage? You're basically shit outta luck then, the area i'm in's closest garage available for sale is in the Rancho Davis area, which is about a 15 minute walk, maybe 6-7 if you're sprinting, also, whats wrong with just having a notification appear like "The person who owns this vehicle is currently offline, and it cannot be broken into" or just de-spawning the vehicle 10-20 minutes after the player leaves, otherwise, as i've stated before, someone will come on when all the cops are offline, or are in a different timezone, and jack all the rides and chop them, or loot the inventories.

Or park them in middle of nowhere just for the lol. 

Nervous just restarted the server to implement 1.4.2 that was removed two days ago due to crashes and all. /Vpark seems to still be a usable command.

Not sure if that's a bug or if Nervous just kept it in after the community feedback.

EDIT: Disregard. Another restart. RIP /vpark ?

Edited by JustAnM43
10 minutes ago, Nervous said:

I'll put back /vpark on next update, but forbid it if there are still items inside. My only issue was void storages, and this would prevent it.

So, if I got this correct, if you /vpark while having no items in the vehicle, it will let you, but if you do, it will restrict you from doing so? If so, that's brilliant and a win win for both sides.

4 minutes ago, JustAnM43 said:

So, if I got this correct, if you /vpark while having no items in the vehicle, it will let you, but if you do, it will restrict you from doing so? If so, that's brilliant and a win win for both sides.

I know I know.. I'm getting told everyday!

• Upvote 2