Is it me or.. the removal of /vpark is a bad idea (at the current state of RageMP, sync wise)

Vash Baldeus

It is a great move towards heavy roleplay and realism. A good move in regards of sync and current state of RageMP? I'm not really sure, but you should keep in mind that you don't have to spawn all of your cars, a car that wasn't spawned by the player won't be spawned unless you spawn them. So, just stick to spawning one car if you're afraid of having your car stolen.

It’s a perfect addition. No more magical despawning vehicles and no more medium-level roleplay “stash cars”

Stupidity is now met with consequences. Be a lousy criminal, get dicked by the law.

4 hours ago, Franelli said:

The only real difference is the fact you can no longer /vpark your vehicle anywhere you like at any given time. However, you are still able to respawn it (which also fixes the vehicle damages) at your property / garage. 

I know statistics indicate that most accidents occur within a mile of the home, but that's not really the case on the server. The top reason for fixing vehicle damage is "someone crashed into me and got reported for non-RP behavior," or "someone spawned their car on top of mine and now it's smoking." This is only going to place an additional burden on the staff that sort through these reports, or worse yet, leave individuals who play during times when there are no staff members online in an unnecessary bind in the name of "realism."

My philosophy is that realism must typically cede to fun.

4 hours ago, Franelli said:

If you want to secure your vehicle - upgrade its lock and alarm systems. Not enough? Buy or rent a garage to park your vehicles in.

Locks and alarms are still fairly costly, even with the recent reduction in price and garages flat-out don't work. Literally every instance in which I've attempted to use one has resulted in the car disappearing and/or my character dying in a freak accident.

That's my primary gripe - garages don't actually work. If we get to a point where I can reliably store and remove cars without weird stuff happening? Then I think we'd be close enough to "ready" for the removal of /vpark.

2 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

I know statistics indicate that most accidents occur within a mile of the home, but that's not really the case on the server. The top reason for fixing vehicle damage is "someone crashed into me and got reported for non-RP behavior," or "someone spawned their car on top of mine and now it's smoking." This is only going to place an additional burden on the staff that sort through these reports, or worse yet, leave individuals who play during times when there are no staff members online in an unnecessary bind in the name of "realism."

My philosophy is that realism must typically cede to fun.

Locks and alarms are still fairly costly, even with the recent reduction in price and garages flat-out don't work. Literally every instance in which I've attempted to use one has resulted in the car disappearing and/or my character dying in a freak accident.

That's my primary gripe - garages don't actually work. If we get to a point where I can reliably store and remove cars without weird stuff happening? Then I think we'd be close enough to "ready" for the removal of /vpark.

To address your first concern - there should be no more issues with players spawning their vehicles on top of others, due to the recent removal of the /vpark feature, at least not very often. Obviously this may still happen occasionally but frankly there's no real difference regarding how such situations are handled. The staff team nowadays receive approximately twenty reports every hour regarding vehicle issues and we always help our players out in such situations - this is not meant to be any different now and we will still be assisting our players with all RAGE issues and bugs that might occur. If you encounter any issue in-game you can use the /report feature and request assistance (same applies to players that crash into you without roleplaying any sort of injuries / damages).

Garages work fine as long as the property type is set properly by Property Management. If you encounter issues with your garage - /report in-game and this will be looked into. If something is still not working as expected - you are more than welcome to submit a bug report on the forums so this can be addressed and hopefully fixed fast enough.

Worst case scenario - respawn your vehicle at your property. The respawn feature is not gone - it is just less comfortable for players to use every time they want to magically fix their vehicle.

Just now, Franelli said:

The staff team nowadays receive approximately twenty reports every hour regarding vehicle issues and we always help our players out in such situations - this is not meant to be any different now and we will still be assisting our players with all RAGE issues and bugs that might occur. If you encounter any issue in-game you can use the /report feature and request assistance (same applies to players that crash into you without roleplaying any sort of injuries / damages).

I'm aware that staff are willing to help when they are online, but I frequently play during times in which no staff member is online. Am I simply out of luck if that happens? Having to derail the better part of a night because of this seems like a bad idea.

4 minutes ago, Franelli said:

Worst case scenario - respawn your vehicle at your property. The respawn feature is not gone - it is just less comfortable for players to use every time they want to magically fix their vehicle. 

Am I to understand that the feature works regardless of whether your vehicle is present in the world or not? If so, doesn't this open up the door for potential abuse if their car has been stolen? If not, how could it possibly address the issue of fixing damage caused by an OOC collision unless it destroys the vehicle (which will destroy the inventory now, so we've got that to deal with too) completely?

I'm pretty positive it was intended to respawn the vehicle you're currently in while being near your property / garage. So all 'OOC damage' caused to your vehicle should be gone upon the command usage.

Due to the temporary rollback I cannot test this right now. I will confirm this the first chance I get.

To me this seems like a realism for the sake of realism change.  Especially if the vehicles stay spawned when logged out.

I simply don't have the time to be online every night. I try to aim for at least once a week but even then I sometimes am too busy.

It may be more realistic that my vehicle is spawned permanently, but it's not realistic that my car is stolen on Monday and I don't notice until Friday.

Obviously this only applies if there aren't protections for offline players, but I feel if the mod team starts making realism for the sake of realism changes it's a very slippery slope. If the goal is "we need more parked cars for realism", why bother with offline protections at all? It's an attitude that I feel quickly runs into problems.

For clarity since everyone is making this point as if it counters any opposing views: I don't use stash cars.

Edited by Siglim
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Franelli said:

You could always rent / buy a garage.

We will be exploring more options for players to secure their vehicles while they're offline.

What if you live far from the closest garage? You're basically shit outta luck then, the area i'm in's closest garage available for sale is in the Rancho Davis area, which is about a 15 minute walk, maybe 6-7 if you're sprinting, also, whats wrong with just having a notification appear like "The person who owns this vehicle is currently offline, and it cannot be broken into" or just de-spawning the vehicle 10-20 minutes after the player leaves, otherwise, as i've stated before, someone will come on when all the cops are offline, or are in a different timezone, and jack all the rides and chop them, or loot the inventories.