Where do you find literate writers and roleplay, and why is it a stigma?

12 minutes ago, SweetDaffodil said:

/me nods and smiles

/do In a room filled with joyous celebration, Sarah, adorned in a resplendent white dress, graciously accepts the congratulations of her loved ones, her heart overflowing with gratitude and happiness, as she nods while smiling, her eyes shimmering with tears of joy, each nod serving as a silent affirmation of appreciation and a testament to the immense love and support surrounding her on this momentous day.

On topic, I don't like some overly-detailed /mes or /dos. They are supposed to explain what your characters does or what the current situation is, perceived by eyes. Not mind reading or god's whispers.

• Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, varthshenon said:

On topic, I don't like some overly-detailed /mes or /dos. They are supposed to explain what your characters does or what the current situation is, perceived by eyes. Not mind reading or god's whispers.

My thoughts exactly. If people want to do overly detailed /mes or /dos, that's their prerogative. But stop imposing it on the rest of the players who simply choose not to do that.

• Upvote 2

There are a lot of good takes in this thread. The main point that I think can be taken from this is whether you prefer short and to the point /me's or if you prefer para-roleplay, being respectful towards the people you roleplay with is the way to go.

Personally I started roleplaying on Habbo Hotel of all places when I was like 9 or 10 years old, then it evolved to Forum-roleplay, and then World of Warcraft. I consider myself still fairly new to the GTA Roleplaying scene, starting in 2019, but I have experienced various forms of it. FiveM (where in my experience it is mainly Voice + Script roleplay, with some fluff added in /ame style emotes), RageMP (where all servers I have played on is a combination of typing and voip). World is my very first text-only GTA Roleplaying server. 

I don't think there is "one set way" to roleplay. Due to my personal experiences and 'upbringing' within roleplay and IRL studies in theatre, I prefer to do longer /me's. Sure, I will occasionally do big paragraphs or multi-paragraph emotes due to the fact that it is what I am used to from the main bulk of my roleplaying history. At the end though, I think that immersion is what is most important when it comes to roleplaying. If you feel immersed in the roleplay by small one-liners like "John Doe nods", well you have fun with that! I would rather emote something like "John Doe nods as he listens to the man, a trickle of sweat running down the side of his face and neck" because suddenly with just taking 5-15 seconds extra of typing depending on typing speed, there is a whole lot of emotion and immersion in the emote. Why is my character sweating? Is he stressed? Is he full of fear? Just by adding even small bits of body language to your /me's adds so much of the story, and I 100% believe it makes my experience and the experience of those I roleplay with so much more enjoyable. 

Now, I know that what I just used as example is not a full on paragraph, but sometimes adding more depth to the emotes increases the immersion, and when I say adding more depth I don't mean adding a lot of filler words, I mean adding details that are relevant. Someone in a post mentioned how adding "leaning over the cluttered table" to an emote about handshaking tells the story about how someone's character is not super-tidy. I agree, this is one of the many ways to add depth to one's character. But we are also playing GTA where we are able to make our desks at home / in the office (if you have proper permissions to do so ofc) actually look messy! Text and 3D Visuals goes hand-in-hand, and this is something I believe everyone that comes from MMO RP can agree with. We are used to describing our actions in emotes (/me's) and then using the 3D world of the game to mimic the emote as much as possible through positioning, animations etc. 

But GTA is GTA. We shoot guns here, we swing bats at people, drive cars, have script support for many different actions etc. Sometimes less is better, sometimes more is better. Let's just focus on having fun and creating stories together. Driving in a car and talking, then ending up in a car crash is a story too! Not all the story happens in /me's, but a lot of it does as well and I think that is the beauty of GTA RP. It allows for amazing storytelling with 3D visuals, text roleplay and game/script mechanics as tools. Accept that people have different preferences for how they conduct their roleplay, respect it and try to meet each other at the halfway point. If you as a para-roleplayer end up roleplaying with someone that does minimal /me's, shorten your emotes a bit to accomodate. And vice versa, if you as someone that roleplay with small /me's and you come across para-roleplayers, maybe add a bit more detail to your emotes. This way everyone is accommodating for everyone and everyone involved will be more satisfied from the roleplay and immersion than if one is sitting there annoyed over how little/much someone else writes in their /me's. 🙂

• Upvote 1

I think it's all about matching the situation that you're in, and who you're RPing with.
In a crowded place, summarizing is good so you don't spam the chat. It's also easier to read quickly while everyone else's dialog is spamming it out of sight.

In a one on one or a small group, people tend to match the effort, whether that means someone else tries typing more, or you try typing less.

That person in /b is just toxic. Can't fix that.

Edited by Havana
  • Upvote 2

its just more so these sorts of roleplayers extend a 5 minute scene to becoming a near hour long roleplay. they have little to no regard of other people's time (likely because they're a NEET with all the time in the world).

brother, i just came to this bar to watch a video of how to cook waygu steaks while i wait for my friends to return. i did not want to read a novel today.

There’s a stigma because the way you guys over describe and hyper sexualize your characters with /me’s or /attributes is off putting. It is stereotyping and generalizing but it’s generally a rule of thumb that someone with attributes like this: XYtXUKP.jpg

Is someone who’s not going to be enjoyable to RP w and is more of a Second Life GTA W player instead of actually RPing a character. It all stems back to the overall view of the community towards the people who just get on the server to live out their sexual fantasies virtually and go to clubs and have lesbian orgies when they aren’t working at the mechanic and driving their Fast N Furious car with cat ears on. 

just to reiterate nothing wrong w ppl’s characters being different sexuality, what’s wrong is the hyper sexualization and just honestly unrealistic dog shit character portrayal that nobody wants to fucking deal with. That’s why there’s a stigma. 

• Upvote 12
  • Applaud 1