Predatory Practices & RP by LEOs/DAs

Doom slayer

I'm appreciative that there's a lot of legal role-players participating in this thread about air units (myself included) but there's a subconscious bias in us that we need to be aware of. Air units are great, but the player using them needs to be conscious of the effect they have. 

I'd argue AIR is the most powerful tool in law enforcement factions here, we need to ensure there's fairness with the criminal role players — they're an automatic loss as it is, we don't need to hunt and prey for every gun under the sun. Pro-activity in this game comes at a cost, especially with air units.

I don't agree that AIR should be severely limited, but I do think re-affirming the importance of discretion and allowing criminals to get away with things at certain times is of great benefit to us as a community.

• Upvote 4
30 minutes ago, Doom slayer said:

Cops are already designed to win as is.

Is this a bad joke? Cops aren't allowed to use facial recognition, can't track your phone 24/7 like they can IRL, have access to like 20 cameras in the whole city whereas in real life there are thousands, Detectives have no investigative tools whatsoever.

You are completely separated from reality if you think this is true. 90% of crimes on this server are never solved.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
  • Upvote 7

https://knock-la.com/lapd-helicopter-surveillance-6ed93fb7c9a/

"

In South Los Angeles’s Leimert Park neighborhood, Louisa and Veronique — a teacher and self-employed jeweler, respectively — endure the daily presence of low-flying police helicopters patrolling their neighborhood.

“Afternoon, evening, at night,” Louisa tells me. “There’s no rhyme or reason to it, really.”"

The cognitive dissonance displayed is really strange to see. When it comes to a player being watched, we must apply all realism rules and account for window glare and other factors that are never considered, but as soon as the people flying the helicopter use realism argument its not valid anymore and then falls under balance. 

• Upvote 7
  • Applaud 1
2 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Is this a bad joke? Cops aren't allowed to use facial recognition, can't track your phone 24/7 like they can IRL, have access to like 20 cameras in the whole city whereas in real life there are thousands, Detectives have no investigative tools whatsoever.

You are completely separated from reality if you think this is true. 90% of crimes on this server are never solved.

This is simply because most detectives suck. If you can’t do your job without blatantly powergaming with facial recognition software you have no business being a detective. I’ve been arrested by actual good detectives before that actually decided to investigate rather than bitch and whine before hopping to their next scene.

• Upvote 12

the air unit is OP and dumb lol I've never understood this obsession with realism. Real LA isn't like 20 km total area and doesn't have max 600 people out in the street in any given day. The air unit can pretty well stomp out all crime RP. It should be that air units needs to be paged when needed rather than just patrolling around.

Edited by beets
  • Upvote 5
  • Developer
3 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

LEOs can only arrest you if you break the law. Illegals can rob anyone. So this is a massive hypocrisy on your part. I've been robbed by masked dudes in Sandy just looking to run someone's pockets.

Don't want to get seen by AIR, stop flashing your gun around. That shit wouldn't fly in real life either.

If criminals had the opportunity to commit every crime there is in real life then there would be no need to flash a gun that often. The environment of the server is centered around violence, which is reflected in the nature of crimes. That is not bad and not good, it is the same environment that allows LEOs to just hop from TAC incident to TAC incident.

A criminal for example will have to go out and rob someone, or will have more interactions that are relying on weapons because they simply can't just commit government fraud, scam individuals or make their money through cyber crime schemes as often or as easily as they would in real life. 

That crime environment and a small map that has the criminal activity contained within certain areas along with a high ratio of LEOs and a low amount of possible victims that are unarmed or will comply accordingly without either stalling or not roleplaying during robberies just on top of makes it more likely for someone to be spotted with their gun out.

The difference being that LEO players are provided with resources such as firearms and vehicles for free after entering the faction as opposed to individual illegal players and sometimes whole illegal factions who will have to acquire the same resources more strictly and lose them with each incident.

• Upvote 8
  • Reece? locked this topic