radio callout hotkeys for LEO RPers

einxsa

Yes it would be impossible to type and drive at 100mph+, however the evading side has the same issue.
You can not plan anything with your passengers at the time 'cause either you have to slow down and be caged in by 10 cruisers while you type or you just have to plan it all out prior the chase.

Sometimes I'm not surprised people sit on voice chats while in a pursuit, but they get punished hard.
I do understand why, and it's been misused a lot, but there's two sides on the same coin we gotta look at.

2 minutes ago, Peak. said:

Yeah makes sense when there's 5 people in duty.

Not going to happen.

Yeah when does that ever happen lol. At 6 AM? Stop the cap. If illegal rpers have to do their own callouts through IC means even though they can just RP having their phone on speaker or using AirPods etc. then why aren't LEO rpers held to the same standard? I thought this was a text-based HEAVY roleplay server.

• Upvote 1

TeamSpeak is fine for pursuits. LEO chars should be OP. If you look at the rate of crime vs the rate of arrests it's ludicrous. My problem is that it is not JUST used in pursuits, in fact I was told recently after taking exception to a situation I saw videos of, it's perfectly acceptable to stay in TS while searching for someone after a situation has ended. 

IMO TS should represent an in car radio, you can't have both hands on your gun in the middle of a shoot out and reach for your radio... 

I have seen SO many examples of TS being abused and people just shrug it off. The line that it's only used for pursuits is BS and there needs to be some stricter rules or more scrutiny around its use. 

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, sCrax said:

Yeah when does that ever happen lol. At 6 AM? Stop the cap. If illegal rpers have to do their own callouts through IC means even though they can just RP having their phone on speaker or using AirPods etc. then why aren't LEO rpers held to the same standard? I thought this was a text-based HEAVY roleplay server.

Happens most of the day.

Not gonna happen anyway so 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately, this is something which will never change. Using microphones for police work has been a facet of the GTA RP community since about 2008. Almost all the decision-makers in this community have spent their entire GTA RP careers where microphones were a requirement of LEO RP. For many of our players, mics have been a part of GTA LEO RP since before they were even old enough to play video games on their own. This, like many similar issues in GTA RP, is one of those things where the conservative faction makes the call, and the conservative faction can see no other alternative. In their mind, microphones are the only solution. Most of the people who even would have the power to change this standard have no reason to--the microphone standard works perfectly for their own needs, so why would they willingly strip some of the flexibility and special power that they have?

Microphone use has always and will always be a detriment to a text RP server. Voice chat splits the limited bandwidth of the human mind, and in all my experience RPing, I've only met a few players who truly and honestly could roleplay flawlessly while bullshitting about whatever else in voice chat. Doesn't matter if they're LEO, criminal, or whatever, people sitting in voice chat while RPing will often have more quiet characters, they will often engage in more non-verbal ("metagamed") communication [example: "look at this corner in the wall, doesn't it look silly?" or "oh, check out this guy walking up to us with the stupid outfit... what is he wearing!?"], they will frequently be prone to goofing around more, and ultimately they will not deliver as strong of a character portrayal while their mind is split (and dulled) with conversation droning in the background. Even in this community, when LEO RPers post videos--whether for fun, for reports, or for any other reason--they often have some bland chit-chat in the background entirely unrelated to what's happening IC. These are distractions, and definitely reduce RP quality--for some people by only a small amount, for some people by a considerable margin.

(Of course, I've had this conversation dozens of times before, and pro-mic people will swear up and down that their RP is flawless and 100% undistracted while they voice chat, which is almost certainly a lie, so it's kind of moot.)

We can argue to and fro about whether or not LEO RPers "need" microphones to give them some edge against criminal RPers, and I've always been on the fence about it. As someone who has been on all the sides of the RP spectrum, I've been on communities in the past where I played a LEO and sat in voice calls with a bunch of prepubescent British boys RPing badass tough police officer heroes in West Coast 1990s USA. Mics definitely helped. But no matter what, it's an unfair advantage that is given only to one group of players with no similar opportunities for other types. Although I appreciate GTA:W's community for making strict Teamspeak guidelines and including ways for disabled people to kiiiiinda take part in police RP, it's still not ideal. It makes no sense that criminals are not allowed to also use voice chat in tense situations such as shootouts or driving but police are. There's no real good OOC reason for this--that police are better trained? I mean, maybe, but LEO RPers do actual training which gives them an actual benefit in combat which most criminals do not bother to do, so it's not really fair to call mic use a compensation for IC training. That police have better equipment and tracking devices--true, and a legitimate argument, but of course there are other ways this could be portrayed through the game mode's script which does not involve a third party voice chat protocol.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, sCrax said:

Hey.

I can tell you as a LEO RPer who can log in-game at any time (apart 01:00-08:00 in-game times) that at non-peak times such as 08:00 to at the very least 13:00 or 14:00, there are nearly no LEO members apart you and maybe 1-2 more.

So, all in all, it does happen a lot more frequently than you may think. 🙂