OOC nicknames, profiles and pictures should be free of controversial topics

OOC nicknames, profiles and pictures should be free of controversial topics  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, Piepstem said:

I'm not going to debate you about history and your western-centric view.

We don't have to debate, your entire profile is glorifying men who committed mass genocide, manufactured famines for political gain, created secret police organizations to round up, torture and execute their political rivals, and ordered the wholesale rape and slaughter of civilians all across Central Asia and Eastern Europe. This isn't a "western-centric view" that's literally just the facts of history. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Trupiano said:

We don't have to debate, your entire profile is glorifying men who committed mass genocide, manufactured famines for political gain, created secret police organizations to round up, torture and execute their political rivals, and ordered the wholesale rape and slaughter of civilians all across Central Asia and Eastern Europe. This isn't a "western-centric view" that's literally just the facts of history. 

What do you mean? That's all just CIA Propaganda. It never happened. And if it did-

You know what I'm not even going to finish the joke just in case someone takes me seriously. But this does showcase a point, contraversy can be varied. It's not only limited to the obvious.

Edited by Barbary
  • Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Trupiano said:

It certainly is a western-centric view and that you mention ''the facts of history'' reaffirms this. Again, I am not interested in holding a debate with people that strive to avert the topic from the issue at hand that has been mentioned in the main thread and has been mentioned over and over again in the thread itself by other members of this community.

Edited by Piepstem

Hot take here: ooc racism is bad. Nobody will deny that and people who have these names who showcase OOC hatred should be dealt with accordingly, but personally I think (while extremely edgy) the isolated usage of names/avatars that resemble these controversial topics for something like an alternative forum account purely for posting rp screens that relate to that theme isn't such a big deal and isn't something I'd like to see further taking the time of administrators to handle given the current priorities. Trying to pick up every dog whistle will be time consuming and by nature of them being dog whistles a lot of the time you'll have false positives.

https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbol/triangular-klan-symbol

if I were to use an avatar with a design similar to this referencing one of my favourite franchises (The Legend of Zelda) and happen to later engage in white pride roleplay, would I be banned because it could maybe be a reference to the hate symbol?

Edited by Storm
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Storm said:

Hot take here: ooc racism is bad. Nobody will deny that and people who have these names who showcase OOC hatred should be dealt with accordingly, but personally I think (while extremely edgy) the isolated usage of names/avatars that resemble these controversial topics for something like an alternative forum account purely for posting rp screens that relate to that theme isn't such a big deal and isn't something I'd like to see further taking the time of administrators to handle given the current priorities. Trying to pick up every dog whistle will be time consuming and by nature of them being dog whistles a lot of the time you'll have false positives.

https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbol/triangular-klan-symbol

if I were to use an avatar with a design similar to this referencing one of my favourite franchises (The Legend of Zelda) and happen to later engage in white pride roleplay, would I be banned because it could maybe be a reference to the hate symbol?

It certainly is a case-by-case which creates gray-zones and issues. But what you are using to strengthen your argument with is a very specific example, there have been people that used extreme racist monikers or even used racist symbols such as the SS runes. 

Edited by Piepstem
7 minutes ago, Piepstem said:

It certainly is a case-by-case which creates gray-zones and issues. But what you are using to strengthen your argument with is a very specific examples, there have been people that used extreme racist monikers or even used racist symbols such as the SS runes. 

Coopting is a big thing for any hate group and it can have the consequences I mentioned. While the example I gave isn't necessarily based on the same thing, there have been examples of it, i.e. the usage of the OK hand gesture which started as a joke/hoax but was later adopted. There's also people who are blissfully unaware, people who use images/symbolism that they don't deem to be problematic but others see as a problem (as you've seen within this thread and the comments relating to your banner image), and more. Again in my eyes I think the usage of these avatars, names, etc. are extremely edgy and it's not something I'd personally condone I just don't think its something worth being moderated as long as those using them stick to the very fine line I mentioned before.

Edited by Storm
10 hours ago, Triple Seven said:

If anyone still thinks so: I’m not offended by words or symbology, I don’t work like that. I understand others do and I’m not a fan of slippery slopes. However, the difference between having ‘whiteandproud’ as a forum name or choosing a JDM car as profile picture is something I’d hope everyone that has been accepted into this community, can see.

what's wrong with "whiteandproud" as a username? I'm not seeing the issue. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic