OOC nicknames, profiles and pictures should be free of controversial topics

OOC nicknames, profiles and pictures should be free of controversial topics  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Welsh said:

Also remember that there are players that English isn't a first language too.

Absolutely, hence why I said the effort should be there! (may not have at every opportunity, but I did) And by the way, English isn't my first language either.

This is going to vastly differ from the above and I know some of my points won't apply but it still has relevance in its own way, I'll focus on a few aspects.

Look at my profile picture, then look at some of my forum posts, you're going to find suggestions to add more motorcycles! It's no surprise, I think they're awesome. I like playing with them in the game, I love that I can gear up my character and go for a ride in-character. I like all sorts of RP, LEO, Civilian, Criminal RP, and I could have had a name like "Xtremerobber" as my name and a profile picture of a guy with a ski mask on, but I don't right now, I might later, but is it any relevant to me as a person? Is it going to change the way I interact with anyone or change the way people interact with me? I highly doubt it.

Additionally, if someone likes to do LEO RP or is/was law enforcement IRL, nothing should stop them from putting "Supercop94" as their name, and adding a profile picture of their patrol car or a picture of themselves in uniform if that's what they want.

Let's say, I'm from X country. If I put up a flag of X country as my avatar picture, does it make me immediately condone anything and everything that country has done or automatically makes me an immediate patriotic fanatic? Of course not.

You get the point, I'm going to stop with the examples, an avatar doesn't define a person.

At the end of the day, is it inherently bad and does it harm anyone? Not really. Does it define me as a person? Nope! Is it going to lead to assumptions? Most likely. But it's the internet and I'm not really feeling concerned by them and neither should anyone honestly. I'm here to have fun and simply enjoy what I like and everyone should have the freedom to do so. If it doesn't please someone or if anyone hates my guts for whatever reason, they're not forced to interact with me at all.

- players use proper English and not all sorts of slang, to make staff's job (on reports for example) a lot easier and as a general sign of respect and effort. This also helps players display they are capable of communicating at a level we should want in this community.

- players differentiate between themselves and their characters and concept (you'll often see "I..." instead of "Name..." or "My character..." when you read the reports section. (metagaming much?)

- People from around the world are going to write differently, including native speakers. As a non-native English speaker I feel very fortunate to have had the chance to learn how to do so somewhat properly I guess, but it's not something everyone has the chance to do -- And even then excluding that fact, not everyone really wants to take the time to write properly even if they have the means to, that's their choice, but it's still something you and I can most likely read and comprehend if it's English.

Many people in my native tongue still won't write in their native language properly and grammatical errors are plentiful regardless of their education, yet regardless of this I still understand them if they're being concise enough in their words. As for slang, you have context that makes it easier to decipher, and as it goes with anything you might not understand, we live in a day and age where you can choose to research it and most likely have the tools to do so at the tip of your fingers if you're typing this on a keyboard/phone.

- I doubt it's metagaming when players refer to their characters in a report as "I", I think they're most likely referencing themselves are "I, the player, was..." and not identifying themselves as their characters but anyone can correct me on this.

20 hours ago, Triple Seven said:

players use proper English and not all sorts of slang

I would argue that slang is proper English, especially AAVE.

15 hours ago, Midwest said:

sure hope we start to apply it to all the other racial, ethnic, and characteristic "pride" "proud" accounts

That's not the same at all. For example, brown pride isn't racist, because Mexicans in America were segregated and disenfranchised. White pride however is racist.

Edited by im not a hero
13 minutes ago, Triple Seven said:

The linked video is exactly what I already said, so I don't know how that can be unclear? Again, I am not offended by any words or usage of dialects and other languages. I am not offended by symbology or forum names, I also do not seek out profiles that are offensively themed like the example in the first post. That one was very clearly visible on the front page of the forums, which is a largely OOC platform, despite there being an IC section where that profile was mostly active. And as such I wasn't the only one noticing, I wasn't even the one reporting it, though yes, like I said, I considered it. I still do not think there's any excuse that is valid for creating a profile with such a name, even when only using it as an IC account, since the forums are inherently OOC focused and I welcome the punishment handed out by the admin, that is my opinion.

Actually, when you take out reports and see factions thread as ic one since most factions post ic stuff there, then this forum is extremely IC-oriented. Look at the threads and how much people post. A lot more ic is on the forums.

But again - stop being offended and do your thing. Only IF someone is constantly attacking some group of people in OOC threads, an argument for looking closely at that person by staff might be valid. Otherwise- totally not and definitely a way of getting rid of a group of people you and your circle of offended people dont agree with. 

When it comes to English spoken and what type of the English language someone uses... what gives you the right to say what the standards here are? American E, British E, Australian E, Canadian E, South African E...they all different in some ways, less and more, and they all have so many slangs in them. People are open do speak the kind of English as they please- thats that.

Sorri, but I definitely see that you belong to the group if people, who clearly get offended by some roleplay (example - Nazis) and then, since faction banning is out of the question yet (idk for how much longer as more of the same kind of topics are coming up lately - overturning of Roe v Wade as a clear example, where people press for some kind of censorship and cancelling what they feel offends them), you are looking to ban individuals for their profile names. Utter nonsense.

If this is allowed to be regulated, then some type of factions are next to be banned, since people are offended and can not actually just move on and not get offended by someone, whose name reflects their character ig. Btw - a lot of German usernames in this forum. Ya all should check, if there was no Nazi officer with the same last name decades ago. The censors are hard at work. 

37 minutes ago, Triple Seven said:

Nothing in my posts is racist or offensive, if anyone thinks I'm racist they are free to point things out in my posts and I will attempt to clarify, as I am certain I am not.

All I'm saying is that we should let the English language as it is taught in schools (or perhaps on the internet) all over the world (yes some get taught American English, some get taught British English and some get taught International English, perhaps some teach themselves), be the standard for the OOC communication in the community, not the English dialect we're using in every day life, just as a common courtesy and to show the line between IC and OOC better. I'm not saying people shouldn't speak how they want privately or ICly.

The linked video is exactly what I already said, so I don't know how that can be unclear? Again, I am not offended by any words or usage of dialects and other languages. I am not offended by symbology or forum names, I also do not seek out profiles that are offensively themed like the example in the first post. That one was very clearly visible on the front page of the forums, which is a largely OOC platform, despite there being an IC section where that profile was mostly active. And as such I wasn't the only one noticing, I wasn't even the one reporting it, though yes, like I said, I considered it. I still do not think there's any excuse that is valid for creating a profile with such a name, even when only using it as an IC account, since the forums are inherently OOC focused and I welcome the punishment handed out by the admin, that is my opinion.

Referencing past communities where things socially developed in ways I don't know about doesn't validate that social development.

The title of this thread is a statement that is meant to trigger discussion, that's normal. A statement takes a harsh stance on one side and the discussion can go from there. I'm glad it worked, please don't mistake it for me being after everyone with a different opinion or being offended over some words and pictures, I'm not. This will be the last time I express this, I don't like going around in circles.

It's clear plenty of people agree and plenty disagree with my statement in the opening post. Thank you to those that contributed in a meaningful manner by elaborating on their opinion.

(the poll is mostly for flavor, I'm not going to take it as a representation of the community because plenty of people will not visit the forums or refrain from voting) 

The definition of " how can you talk so much? yet say so little" lmao.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, im not a hero said:

I would argue that slang is proper English, especially AAVE.

That's not the same at all. For example, brown pride isn't racist, because Mexicans in America were segregated and disenfranchised. White pride however is racist.

So you're racially discriminating. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, im not a hero said:

I would argue that slang is proper English, especially AAVE. This sounds incredibly pretentious. 

That's fine with me, but not everyone knows this language or dialect and as such it shouldn't be used as a general language everyone is supposed to understand.

5 minutes ago, im not a hero said:

they're either all inherently racist or none of them is. Many ethnic groups have historically been oppressed (which is disgusting), which causes the acceptance of some ethnic prides where especially white pride isn't (the latter is justified in my opinon). People are all equal, individuals are responsible for their own actions and their behavior reflects on the position they should have in society, which is why in the modern world we have the judicial system.

3 minutes ago, Tsarna said:

Actually, when you take out reports and see factions thread as ic one since most factions post ic stuff there, then this forum is extremely IC-oriented. Look at the threads and how much people post. A lot more ic is on the forums.

But again - stop being offended and do your thing. Only IF someone is constantly attacking some group of people in OOC threads, an argument for looking closely at that person by staff might be valid. Otherwise- totally not and definitely a way of getting rid of a group of people you and your circle of offended people dont agree with. 

When it comes to English spoken and what type of the English language someone uses... what gives you the right to say what the standards here are? [1] American E, British E, Australian E, Canadian E, South African E...they all different in some ways, less and more, and they all have so many slangs in them. People are open do speak the kind of English as they please- thats that.

Sorri, but I definitely see that you belong to the group if people, who clearly get offended by some roleplay (example - Nazis) [2] and then, since faction banning is out of the question yet (idk for how much longer as more of the same kind of topics are coming up lately - overturning of Roe v Wade as a clear example, where people press for some kind of censorship and cancelling what they feel offends them), you are looking to ban individuals for their profile names. Utter nonsense.

If this is allowed to be regulated, then some type of factions are next to be banned [3], since people are offended and can not actually just move on and not get offended by someone, whose name reflects their character ig. Btw - a lot of German usernames in this forum. Ya all should check, if there was no Nazi officer with the same last name decades ago. The censors are hard at work. [4]

[1] The same as everyone, hence this is a discussion topic in which I give my opinion, which is as valid as anyone else's.

[2] Already addressed.

[3] I certainly hope not, as I've expressed before.

[4] Thanks for the sarcasm, you can certainly see in my posts that is absolutely not the idea and not what I said.

2 minutes ago, Triple Seven said:

they're either all inherently racist or none of them is.

except that you are ignoring historical context. It is used by white separatists and racists. Brown pride came out of the Chicano movement in response to racism and discrimination.  

2 minutes ago, im not a hero said:

except that you are ignoring historical context. It is used by white separatists and racists. Brown pride came out of the Chicano movement in response to racism and discrimination.  

the sole fact that "white pride" and "white power" is used interchangeably by real life neonazis doesn't change the fact that the pride one is about as offensive as "brown pride". it's used to proclaim some form of superiority in taking pride in being of particular ethnicity/race. either ban all prides or let them all be.

7 minutes ago, im not a hero said:

Not really ignoring the historical context at all, I'm saying we should treat everything equally in this regard. And "used by" is very different than "means". So far no one on this thread has brought up literally any of the hitler accounts, or the actual white power accounts. With this specific part of the convo we're focusing on the term "pride" and "proud". If we want to talk about seperatists, supremacists, and racists, we should go ahead and take out every account related to any form of seperatism, supremacy, or racism. If we consider "pride" and "proud" to inherently be forms of that, the community should act on such. On the other hand, we should not discriminate based on a characteristic of any sort, whether that be race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc. 

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic