Fort Zancudo -- Military RP

2 hours ago, Triple Seven said:

Make it National Guard and I see it as an IC opportunity when crime gets out of hand in a certain area. 👀 

It's a shame @Odinoutright says:

despite it being completely realistic exactly that could happen. It has in the past in Los Angeles in the 90s riots and even more recent during the civil unrest surrounding BLM in various cities in the States from as far as I can find. And while there are of course different political views on this in real life, it is an option, so why wouldn't it be on the server? Criminals need to understand they should be at a disadvantage and know force continuum, that's the task of law enforcement in western society. Someone asked who could be trusted to roleplay this, the same could be said of law enforcement. The server has a standard, enforce it, bad apples are everywhere, systems are in place to get rid of them.

So in short, don't make it full on military, but make it national guard. Training grounds only I'd say, material storage for if/when they are called in. This has the potential to create a more alive countryside with people going to work both from within the city and the county, the sound of training national guard in the area, the opportunity to stumble upon a marching platoon etc.

Absolutely not. the last thing we need right now is a 5th LEO faction. We have the LSPD, the LASD, now the SAPR, also the SFM. The SANG too, or SAANG or whatever? No. It wouldn't create any life in the countryside - Zancudo isn't in the countryside, it's a secluded area by the swam/beach. There wouldn't really be any interaction either - randoms can't go in, NG can't go out. Also, having 3-4 people doing /me pushes up on that enormous base wouldn't be cool either. Besides, we can't really trust anyone to role-play an actual army. Even if interest seems decent on the forums, how many people would we really see spending hours upon hours doing purely passive role-play in a group of 3-4? We're also not talking about one or two nights of scanning keycards, washing trucks and doing pushups but rather doing it actively and passionately from now on. People wouldn't be down for something like that.

Again, look at our current examples of passive role-play. How many people are involved in it? Basically none. The closest thing we have is partially-passive factions and businesses, and they're usually very low-interest, if there's any interest at all. If you know that purely passive role-play doesn't work, why would you keep trying? People are clearly not interested.

If so many resources resources (dozens of people, hundreds or thousands of collective hours) were to be used for a project, I'd much, much, much rather them be used on something that will actually benefit the community at large, or on one of the many postponed projects. Not this.

13 hours ago, Odin said:

I'm not going to argue on a suggestions thread, but this doesn't really change anything. My point is, nobody is going to spend serious time and regularly RP in a faction where if given any chance of existing is incredibly restricted, not allowed patrols, and the primary RP is strictly to do a job on a military base. This isn't going to be a faction going in and working against riots, etc. I find it very very hard to believe a significant portion of people are  going to login and go around a military base and go do /me works on an airplane or whatever various military job/marching for 3 hours with nothing else like patrolling, investigations, and everything else the other government factions offer that attracts people. There is nothing to keep players involved past the gimmick of this is a military faction.

This isn't the port authority which you compare to. This is a completely different scale of faction and quality assurance not to mention the extensive recruitment process that would be required because of portrayal requirements. This is the literal army not some patrol cars and transport/policing related rp. Not to mention even the port authority patrols around and rps with the general public & businesses.  People can vote yes and say oh this sounds cool, until someone is needed to spend 100's of hours planning a faction or when they get bored because its not going to be a faction going around LS doing military operations and would be incredibly restricted. Plenty of others have already noted the issues, and I already can see this going from "Passive military rp" to wanting to storm davis when there are riots.

What a backwards and horribly impolite, narrowminded and ignorant statement from someone labelled as a 'Lead Admin'. What is the purpose of roleplay? To play a role, develop a character, and to have fun. If there's individuals who will genuienly dedicate their time to roleplay such a niche scenario and actually immerse themselves, why not allow them to? I know a plethora of individuals that will genuienly log in to roleplay as Army NG\Air force NG in Fort Zancudo; from basic chewing the fat RP to the more indepth mechanical aspect. 

In my opinion, and my mindset, is to invite avenues of furthered RP and broaden the quality of RP in the community than to gatekeep and restrict RP. Fair enough, suspicion of people being idiots and trolls in such a role of a faction, and individuals incorrectly treating the faction as an opportunity to 'look cool' IG, treat it like some Hollywood-esc scenario, or aforementioned 'CoD' RP, should be vetted and removed from such a potential recruitment process. But if there's a dedicated group, even if it's small, to develop RP, why not allow it? As stated already, everyone thought Port Authority would be dead as it's very niche. It's doing pretty well. People also thought Coroners would be dead after a month, they're still around. Same with Pillbox Hill Medical Centre; "Oh they'll die after a week." and they're currently fantastic and a golden path to take if you want medical RP. Surpassing expectations of many.

Such a faction has no need to be LEO. NG aren't law enforcement. They have details that do LEO activities, sure, but that's not what people are asking for. I personally would go hard against having such a faction step on the toes of any LEO faction, that's ridiculous and inappropriate, as well as diluting an already stuffed market of roleplay. If such faction was to be a thing, forbid the ability for the faction to step on the toes of any LEO faction; like how SAPR initially started. They were to be a purely passive faction, law enforcement would be limited completely; they just so happened to be park rangers with guns; promoting passive and friendly, non LEO related RP in the sticks and desert.

Last year, me and 6-7 others were in SD SED\SWT drove to Fort Zancudo to train at the various facilities there. On the route, the front gate we came across two\three RPers in MTP\Multicam with berets RPing as the gate guardians. And they did a bang up job, they were fun to engage with and it surprised the lot of us. They did fantastic in their portrayal. When we departed to do what we initially came to do, we'd see them be ajailed by admins for RPing such a role, which is a massive shame.

The admin team seem determined to gatekeep legal factions to the enth degree, restricting RP for individuals who genuienly want to develop a character and produce avenues of RP for others to get involved, but seemingly allow a dozen Davis\Chamberlain Hills\Rancho gangs who's differences vary in only name, whilst also allowing another dozen "Piss and Shitters MC" to continue.

Imo, if a group are serious in developing this as a faction, and wish for it to happen to purely have small, niche passive RP, allow it to happen: keep a watch on the members, and allow it to expand like how Port Authority has. If recruitment of members and roleplay quality is an issue, with legal FM\admin team in general worried about it being full of trolls or individuals who think military life is Hurt Locker\Jarhead\[Insert Hollywood war movie], restrict the recruitment to those who are veterans IRL and currently serving.

Who's gonna be hurting from the broader community to such a faction restricted to a very specific area? 

• Upvote 9
  • Applaud 2
9 minutes ago, RSanders said:

Imo, if a group are serious in developing this as a faction, and wish for it to happen to purely have small, niche passive RP, allow it to happen: keep a watch on the members, and allow it to expand like how Port Authority has. If recruitment of members and roleplay quality is an issue, with legal FM\admin team in general worried about it being full of trolls or individuals who think military life is Hurt Locker\Jarhead\[Insert Hollywood war movie], restrict the recruitment to those who are veterans IRL and currently serving.

Nobody is gonna do this. Should just allow it for the sake of “I told you so” later down the line. It’d make for good video, that’s for sure. 

We literally had two people RPing unarmed (and not sworn) LSIA/LSX gate guards with amazing RP and both LEO factions threw a hissy fit because they didn't join their Teamspeak circlejerk factions instead. There's no way in hell any RP besides policing the playerbase like it's LSPDFR will take place.

Edited by Gryphboi
1 hour ago, RSanders said:

-

I think it's more about the opportunity cost of having this implemented as opposed to a different concept. There's only so many people who only have a specific amount of time and effort to put in, and doing this for ~10 people will mean sacrificing a lot of time, a lot of manpower and effort as opposed to directing these resources to something else.

Besides, we don't actually know what the interest for something like this is, how many people would actually submit an application, go through recruitment, probationary and everything else just so they can do passive role-play. Look at DMEC or even GOV, they're basically passive role-play only (or mostly) and they're bascially empty.

• Jeff_ locked this topic