Reworking the Alarm System and Burglaries

Bospy

4 minutes ago, Bospy said:

The cost on these is so prohibitive to reflect that these would only really be used in the headquarters of expensive companies. If a gangbanger seriously invests cash into an alarm of that level, it's not really great character portrayal. Think of how much money a security company would spend securing a company's expensive building. I agree with making them only apply to certain properties.

I don't think there's really even enough entities like this on server to warrant such prohibitive and expensive commands, where in place you could have a set of alarms with varying (much cheaper prices) specifically for businesses and such, and if need be, you could have administrators chime in to the business owner on whether or not their business needs that specific level of an alarm. For example, an arcade does not need the same alarm system as a jewelry store.

Also, these prices seem far too outlandish even when you account for the security being offered to large company headquarters. I think the idea of adding a chance for an alarm not to trigger, or perhaps giving a false positive, is a great one - it'd give RP for both LEO and criminal characters. However, adding this and then adding an option to completely counteract that system seems counter-intuitive as it allows people to find a way to not get robbed, ever.

I think with a system like this, there should never be a 100% guarantee on either side of the ordeal. No alarm should have a 100% success rate, and no burglary should have a 100% success rate. Burglaries are dangerous, and you're taking a big risk by doing so, and preventing it entirely kills the possibility for RP to happen.

2 minutes ago, Robyn said:

if anything then just have it be security companies that have to install the house alarms so 1) not every house has one, 2) people wont want a security company walking around their drug lab and 3) it brings more RP to the process

this ^

I'm against this. House breakins are already extremely popular, we don't need to make them even easier. The prices suggested are absolutely ridiculous and no one's gonna buy them. I appreciate that we're trying to make alarms less OP because I agree they're ridiculous right now, but this suggestion completely flips it onto the other end of the overpowered scale. We need to find a balance, but this ain't it, in my personal opinion.

• Upvote 7
  • Applaud 2
7 minutes ago, lucky_ said:

I think with a system like this, there should never be a 100% guarantee on either side of the ordeal. No alarm should have a 100% success rate, and no burglary should have a 100% success rate. Burglaries are dangerous, and you're taking a big risk by doing so, and preventing it entirely kills the possibility for RP to happen.

Good point, actually - we could probably ditch the "high level" alarms if it's unpopular

• Wuhtah locked this topic