why does the city feel dead?

ZaE

It’s not just robberies, which seems to be the focal point. There is also the issue that when a lot of people gather in one place, it almost inevitably ends with someone unnecessarily escalating the situation to the point that it causes a gun fight and someone dying. I’ve heard people get shot over being rejected in a bar, which is just insane to me. It’s become so routine at this point and it’s honestly a headache. These situations are not punished anywhere near harshly enough on either side of the legal/illegal spectrum.

Crime is not the issue. It’s people who behave this way knowing they’ll catch a verbal warning or a 30-60 minute ajail, which does nothing. I’m sure none of the people who cause this problem are even reading this thread right now, they could care less. The reporting process, the harshness of punishments and overall crack down of shit RP from all sides just has to happen. So you’ll end up banning people. Guess what? You’ll end up with a better atmosphere at the end of the day.

Edited by 99
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 99 said:

It’s not just robberies, which seems to be the focal point. There is also the issue that when a lot of people gather in one place, it almost inevitably ends with someone unnecessarily escalating the situation to the point that it causes a gun fight and someone dying. I’ve heard people get shot over being rejected in a bar, which is just insane to me. It’s become so routine at this point and it’s honestly a headache. These situations are not punished anywhere near harshly enough on either side of the legal/illegal spectrum.

Crime is not the issue. It’s people who behave this way knowing they’ll catch a verbal warning or a 30-60 minute ajail, which does nothing. I’m sure none of the people who cause this problem are even reading this thread right now, they could care less. The reporting process, the harshness of punishments and overall crack down of shit RP from all sides just has to happen. So you’ll end up banning people. Guess what? You’ll end up with a better atmosphere at the end of the day.

FACTUAL

13 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Actually, there used to be a time when robberies were good. It wasn't about what you had, it was about developing characters.

I remember this time. But I'm not sure how it can be fixed withotu admins actually doing something

5 minutes ago, 99 said:

Crime is not the issue. It’s people who behave this way knowing they’ll catch a verbal warning or a 30-60 minute ajail, which does nothing. I’m sure none of the people who cause this problem are even reading this thread right now, they could care less. The reporting process, the harshness of punishments and overall crack down of shit RP from all sides just has to happen. So you’ll end up banning people. Guess what? You’ll end up with a better atmosphere at the end of the day. You’ll lose less people than you will lose if this keeps heading in the same direction. 

Just now, ZaE said:

I remember this time. But I'm not sure how it can be fixed withotu admins actually doing something

Almost a year ago now, I had proposed a suggestion of a timegate/cooldown on criminal behavior with new characters. It wasn't a blanket ban against all crime, just a one to three hour restriction against initiating criminal activities that would warrant any degree of lethal force against someone.

Stealing a car? That's literally what I do. Selling drugs? Someone must be tripping hard and quite literally if the stuff you sold them is killing them within three hours of your character creation. Burglary? As long as you don't kill anyone, have at it.

It was followed shortly by a barrage of screaming from people insisting it was too much, but strangely enough, I couldn't get a single person to explain why exactly they or any roleplayer worth their salt couldn't go even one hour on a new character without needing to find and kill someone.

14 minutes ago, 99 said:

Out of reacts for the day. +1.

58 minutes ago, ZaE said:

ah yes ignore my response after that where I agreed with a whole paragraph written by another dude lol, ngl i didnt bother reading ur response cause they b too long, like this nigga @99 said, admins need to crack down on LEGALS AND ILLEGAL RPERS shitty rp

If you're looking for evidence here's an example from today:

Two people who have been warned in the past for the activity that they're being reported for. The conclusion boils down to "This was awful roleplay, you have been warned for this in the past. You're going to be receiving a warning." People will have no desire to change if there's no punishment for doing this kinda thing and we're stuck in a vicious cycle as a result. Does this happen when legal RPers break the rules too? Yes. Should it? No. That's what I'm getting at.

Edited by Sush
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Almost a year ago now, I had proposed a suggestion of a timegate/cooldown on criminal behavior with new characters. It wasn't a blanket ban against all crime, just a one to three hour restriction against initiating criminal activities that would warrant any degree of lethal force against someone.

Stealing a car? That's literally what I do. Selling drugs? Someone must be tripping hard and quite literally if the stuff you sold them is killing them within three hours of your character creation. Burglary? As long as you don't kill anyone, have at it.

It was followed shortly by a barrage of screaming from people insisting it was too much, but strangely enough, I couldn't get a single person to explain why exactly they or any roleplayer worth their salt couldn't go even one hour on a new character without needing to find and kill someone.

I think sentences should be increased. Just feels weird resisting arrest and then being released in a day.

7 minutes ago, Sush said:

If you're looking for evidence here's an example from today:

Two people who have been warned in the past for the activity that they're being reported for. The conclusion boils down to "This was awful roleplay, you have been warned for this in the past. You're going to be receiving a warning." People will have no desire to change if there's no punishment for doing this kinda thing and we're stuck in a vicious cycle as a result. Does this happen when legal RPers break the rules too? Yes. Should it? No. That's what I'm getting at.

This is ONE of the factors as to why people do not Roleplay outdoors. Lack of fear from consequences on OOC basis for doing this type of thing, OOC consequnces should be severe if you break the rules, moreover, "This was awful roleplay, you have been warned for this in the past. You're going to be receiving a warning." why!? If they did the same thing they were warned about before, they should be receiving an admin jail at minimum. This example is just what I said a few pages ago, where I mentioned that Admins are less strict than they used to be. Lets be honest, here's a prime example of someone breaking rules that they received a warning for in the past. No second warning, this is an admin jail by all counts, just shows the guy did not learn his lesson.

Only good explanation would be if the Warning was from over 6 months ago, then I would understand the decision, but since we are regular players and not admins we can not know exactly what is written on the Notes (That only admins see) & full admin record of the player.

10 minutes ago, DLimit said:

I think sentences should be increased. Just feels weird resisting arrest and then being released in a day.

Increase the sentence too much, and the character becomes a throwaway.

Tried the same thing back in MegaCityRolePlay, didn't hold up until progress was tied to individual character longevity. 

Keep in mind this was a setting in which the will of the street judge was the way things went. Despite strict IC laws, nigh absolutely on-scene authority, prohibitively massive sentences, and shoot on sight authorization, meta won the day. Civilian pop eventually ran dry, and then the raiders, thugs, and antagonists in general followed not long after. Didn't matter how much firepower the judges had, it couldn't stop people from just using meta to strongarm their victories. Didn't matter how much people chimed in about the dwindling population, it couldn't help anyone see the consequences.

Edited by DasFroggy