why does the city feel dead?

ZaE

1 hour ago, Nervous said:

There has been major changes to the robbery limits, introduction of a command to limit / follow it too, and we immediately ban poor roleplayers who chain rob when they are reported.

So I'm not too sure to understand the comments about the robberies here, because I've actually seen way less robberies / reports about it. If it's an issue you need to report it immediately so it can be handled.

That is what I was thinking..I haven’t seen that many robberies 

1 minute ago, ZaE said:

That is what I was thinking..I haven’t seen that many robberies 

The thing is they happen often still and I'm fine to give them whatever they want as long as they RP it in a good way and actually search you without going /do Where is the gun. Like I said a nice day sitting in a park in the open can't be happening without atleast 1 person approaching you to rob you. Which then also stops people from sitting outside and RP outside.

2 hours ago, Nervous said:

The thing is, we're kind of hitting a wall at this point. Illegal roleplayers claim the server is legal roleplay only and that there is no illegal RP to do, and legal roleplayers claim there is too much illegal RP going on. I can't really do much more right now..

Sure you can bro, let illegal RPers RP dumb criminals, I'm not even an "illegal" RPer anymore, but I know they feel very limited. Letting them RP dumb criminals, just like most criminals are IRL, dumb - not criminal masterminds, and letting them face IC consequences instead of an admin using OOC discretion based entirely on their own personal preference/opinion gives both LEO and crim more RP outcomes.

• Upvote 1
On 10/3/2021 at 3:14 AM, Selena said:

YKUp3Pk.png

Newton's 6th law of physics:

If you offer a person any semblance of power, 9 out of 10 times they will draw themselves to that power and do their best not to let go.

What this means? Recruit non-staff in auxiliary teams. FM, PM, there are parts in those subteams that require staff involvement, and there are parts that don't. If a process of "helpers" gets developed for PM, then they could take care of all smart TP requests or other tasks that otherwise have to be done by an admin.

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, Ronnie two poles said:

Sure you can bro, let illegal RPers RP dumb criminals, I'm not even an "illegal" RPer anymore, but I know they feel very limited. Letting them RP dumb criminals, just like most criminals are IRL, dumb - not criminal masterminds, and letting them face IC consequences instead of an admin using OOC discretion based entirely on their own personal preference/opinion gives both LEO and crim more RP outcomes.

Bingo. Let people rob/be criminals, handle it IC. IC consequences can be tweaked if they are imperfect; I wouldn't cry if robbery-related arrests got extended, for example.

Sure, there will always be a handful of people who don't care about their characters and will do stupid things, but that exists in the legal realm and creates for bad RP there too. That's just a limitation of a big RP server where some people put less value on preserving a character.

Most of my characters are more likely to be victims than criminals; I much prefer a good robbery/scheme to no RP. I enjoy being a victim when the RP is good. It disappoints me to have OOC regulations make it harder for my characters to be exposed to anything beyond social, conversational RP (which is fun but needs to have other stuff alongside it).

Also, sure, if crime is defined as robbery schemes than LS might have "too much crime" but honestly, I have so many characters that could be easily exploited/scammed/manipulated that never get victimized. I've RP'd a coke addicted stripper with terrible judgement and mostly just been given things and helped out, for example. You can RP a character that IRL would wind up dead-ended and miserable and on GTA:W someone will more likely give you an apartment and pay your college tuition then take advantage of you. In that sense GTA:W's LS is 10,000x safer than real life L.A.

3 hours ago, Nervous said:

The thing is, we're kind of hitting a wall at this point. Illegal roleplayers claim the server is legal roleplay only and that there is no illegal RP to do, and legal roleplayers claim there is too much illegal RP going on. I can't really do much more right now..

Finding a way to put an end to throwaway criminal characters would be a solid start.

1 hour ago, Ronnie two poles said:

I'm all for this, but a major roadblock is that most robbers don't want consequences either. Throw up a post in the suggestion forum to have even half of prison sentences served IC and ingame to tick down the timer, see how fast you become the least popular person here in real time.

The current standard of ten percent? ....took nearly a year to actually implement, and that was after receiving a visceral and wildly negative feedback when first suggested. 

You may want consequences, but others don't. They want to play stupid criminals without consequences.

As for the stupidity of a character, it'd be real nice if it wasn't selective and argued as a quality only when it's advantageous. If you want your character to be stupid? Make them consistent.

"My character is a dumb criminal, which is why he decided to rob someone on an open street."

Cool, then he shouldn't be rushing the robbery, as per demonstration, he's not smart enough to recognize the hazard of being detected. He shouldn't have a sudden urge to move to a secondary location either, as again, he believes the middle of the street is a-okay.

This doesn't have to be permanent. When said dumb criminal gets picked up by the police, they can spend their time in prison becoming smarter, and realize that robberies need to be quick (grab whatever they provide from their pockets, no searches) or initiated in the shadows away from public view 

Instead we'll have to settle for "dumb" criminals hotwiring custom blacked out luxury SUVs to kidnap people within line of sight of a police station so they can move to a second location and conduct an elaborate and thorough strip search to find pocket lint and a half empty bottle of soda.

Edited by DasFroggy
26 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Finding a way to put an end to throwaway criminal characters would be a solid start.

Anyone who RP's a criminal with any serious investment would want this. Its frustrating to have limitations/rules/etc put in place due to the lowest standard players, who are the least likely to be impacted by stricter rules too because they'll more willingly rulebreak, quit the server if caught, etc.

I think its important to recognize that, broadly speaking, you can make two categories of criminal roleplayers.

A) People who roleplay a character, who happens to have a criminal part of their life.

B) People who roleplay a character with the ooc desire to commit crimes for the ooc thrill.

The first category isn't usually the problem when it comes to frustrating other players. See my above post, you have a robbery problem in Los Santos perhaps but not a "crime" problem, really. Los Santos isn't exactly rife with clever criminal enterprise; its rife with robbery (to some extent, its not really that bad), and south central has its own dynamic.

32 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

You may want consequences, but others don't. They want to play stupid criminals without consequences.

Some people do, some people don't, some people disagree on what good "consequences" are. Myself? All for long jail sentences, but don't like too high in-game serving requirements. Why? Most of my characters are women; jail RP for women is quite minimal and often lower quality. Other people will have different perspectives.

In the end, on a RP server, you have to let go of wanting everyone else to portray to your own standards (as lovely as it would be). There's plenty of social/"civilian" RP that's bonkers stupid but because nobody is "winning" or "losing" nobody cares.

Pragmatically, until it really impacts your ability to RP what you want/enjoy your characters, you just have to let people have their shitty RP and hope they develop as an RPer into something better. This goes for all RP; criminal RP is just usually the most "flamboyant" when its stupid.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, BjornV said:

Newton's 6th law of physics:

If you offer a person any semblance of power, 9 out of 10 times they will draw themselves to that power and do their best not to let go.

What this means? Recruit non-staff in auxiliary teams. FM, PM, there are parts in those subteams that require staff involvement, and there are parts that don't. If a process of "helpers" gets developed for PM, then they could take care of all smart TP requests or other tasks that otherwise have to be done by an admin.

Since this was brought up and I wrote out my response PM leadership are mid discussion on making it a faster process. We hear you and we’ll come forward with changes soon.