Dynamic Health-Dictated Screen Effects / Simple Suppression Effect

ChromaticDeath

Short description: Add a dynamic screen blur to the player upon taking damage past seventy percent of the player's total HP. Screen haze exists while dead already, so...

Detailed description: Add in a dynamic screen haze effect that does NOT effect the chatbox that would worsen dependent on how much damage the player has taken total to encourage roleplay of injuries and dissuade run-and-gun, DOOM-Style combat roleplay. This would provide an effect that would likely nudge players further toward the prospect of roleplaying those injuries, as well as being more cautious in gunfights in general. At 70% a light haze would take effect, barely noticeable. At 50% the haze would be more pronounced, making seeing a bit more difficult. Past that into 25%-30% the effect would render firing back perfectly much harder, encouraging a flight response and a suppression effect that does not translate well into GTA. This effect would apply for both civilians and law enforcement equally, to keep the playing field fair for illegal RP. Using a bandage could reduce or negate this effect- using bandages requires roleplay, anyway, or at least stopping to /useitem. Certain drugs could also reduce but NOT negate this haze effect, such as PCP or Methamphetamines while active in the system.

TL;DR: Simulate the 'Fuck I've Been Shot' factor that can't be replicated properly in games. This prevents players from treating S2K gunfights like GTA:O.

I think I'm not speaking for myself when I say sometimes you don't even realize how BAD you're hit in a gunfight, because you're not looking at chat for that.

For instance: Two gentlemen engage in a friendly exchange of lead on a Sunday morning. Gentleman One strikes gentleman Two four times in the chest from a respectable distance. Gentleman two then returns fire while gentleman one is sprinting to cover, killing him with pinpoint accuracy (since G2 can see clearly.) G2 then gets in his vehicle and drives off with a clear view of the road ahead of him. He gets away, leaving G1 dead on the ground. Had G2 been given fuzzy vision from being shot four times, he would not have been able to kill G1 as easily, and would have probably just ran away if he could or seeked cover like G1 was doing.

Example two: A cop rolls up on a shootout between rival gangs and gets involved. He is shot several times, but continues firing at them instead of running to cover, because he can and doesn't see that he is injured nor the extent of it, instead of being encouraged to retreat. He wins the gunfight, due to initiating in it before the others, who were already in one, themselves. If he'd had his screen blurred when he got lit up, the LEO would have likely had more incentive to hide, allowing the others a chance to escape.

Example three: Cops have an individual surrounded, who pulls a gun on them and begins shooting. He is struck several times, but is able to sprint off and jump several fences and traverse the game world with no repercussions to his gunshot wounds, as he can see clearly, so surely his character can still move correctly, right? With a haze on his screen, he would realize his character has incurred some serious injuries and be motivated to roleplay them- either slowing and giving up, or going out in his blaze of glory.

Example of this "blur", though I know an exact suppression effect is unlikely to be feasible, making a health-related one the more likely option here:

Commands to add: None.

Items to add: None.

How would your suggestion improve the server? Make it more obvious when you're shot/stabbed, and how bad varying on the degree of vignetting applied to your screen. Promote more roleplay of injuries by encouraging players through script means to seek cover or seek medical attention for such, as one likely would in a realistic sense. Prevent terminator hunter-killer combat roleplay of sprinting straight into battle, being shot multiple times but laying waste to everyone with deathly-accurate return fire despite being in a similar state to John Marston at the end of that one mission everyone got really upset about in RDR 1. Yeah basically it'd just be a script means to nudge people into pain/injury RP.

Additional information:

If possible this could just be tied into the bleed effect. The longer you're bleeding, the worse those screen effects become. Abuse would be obvious by people bandaging mid-combat.

Edited by ChromaticDeath
  • Upvote 8

It adds immersion indeed. While I reckon people will try to shoot this down one way or another saying "we can always just roleplay this.", truth is, they never do.

Some people don't even roleplay drug effects. They think that shooting up heroin and drink a bottle of vodka makes them still eligibile to drive. No just the bottle of vodka would put them down.

I don’t partake in gunfights but it’ll help me visualise if/when my character’s been caught in the crossfire. 

I’m also down for like 0.05% chance that a striking bullet, would slump the character with a /ragdoll. Very low chance but given how many bullets can be fired, not every gunfight will have to end in a PK or CK.