Several inconsistencies in the server continuity

When I took the BAR I had this same conflict. California appeal cases were elevated to the Supreme Court which formed core case law. I cited this Federal case law which originated in California, but that apparently isn't allowed for "continuity" even though it is a Federal case and trumps State appeals.

I know to most it just seems like we're nit-picking shit that doesn't effect hardly anyone, and continuity is difficult to enforce, but getting some of this stuff clarified would be nice.

8 hours ago, Aquila said:

I've expressed my thoughts in detail on another thread (see here), but the brief overview is this: San Andreas, Liberty City, Vice City, etc. should coexist with their real life counterparts. There is no benefit to replacing one with the other, nor is there a benefit in completely ignoring any of these locations.

I actually don't really agree with this for a number of reasons. First, in GTA:LCS and GTA4 it was never specified of which state Liberty City is a part, so it's pretty stupid to assume that it exists alongside New York City in New York. Same thing applies to Vice City, it was never specified which state was it a part of so it'd be really stupid to act as if Miami and Vice City both just existed in Florida. I'd rather those cities not existed in our lore at all. And no, San Andreas shouldn't coexist with California, as this would only lead to more problems. The only and best solution is to simply incorporate Californian laws, events, lifestyle and aesthetics into the server lore.

7 hours ago, Helm said:

The bigger offense are the ULSA college sports. Playing football in Spring will never stop being dumb, since the only reason it ever happened in the real world was because of COVID, and UCLA didn't take part in it...

I honestly don't feel like it's a major issue. You need to understand that they would have to either wait a whole year to rp something, which is pretty stupid or not roleplay it at all. While I do fully understand your concerns, I do not necessarily agree that it poses a major issue. I'd guess that you should try liaising with the faction itself as it doesn't really have to do anything with the continuity itself.

7 hours ago, Florida said:

When I took the BAR I had this same conflict. California appeal cases were elevated to the Supreme Court which formed core case law. I cited this Federal case law which originated in California, but that apparently isn't allowed for "continuity" even though it is a Federal case and trumps State appeals.

I know to most it just seems like we're nit-picking shit that doesn't effect hardly anyone, and continuity is difficult to enforce, but getting some of this stuff clarified would be nice.

Fully agreed. It's pretty difficult to portray a Californian criminal defense attorney if you can't use typical Californian criminal defenses.

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I actually don't really agree with this for a number of reasons. First, in GTA:LCS and GTA4 it was never specified of which state Liberty City is a part, so it's pretty stupid to assume that it exists alongside New York City in New York. Same thing applies to Vice City, it was never specified which state was it a part of so it'd be really stupid to act as if Miami and Vice City both just existed in Florida. I'd rather those cities not existed in our lore at all. And no, San Andreas shouldn't coexist with California, as this would only lead to more problems. The only and best solution is to simply incorporate Californian laws, events, lifestyle and aesthetics into the server lore.

I figured Liberty City was set in the state of Liberty. It's fleshed out enough for it to be included within our universe, despite the size. Plus, there's mention of Liberty City in our map, it's hard to ignore that it exists.

Reason why I'm bringing Vice City in the mix is because there's also reference to it in the game too. Additionally, if the rumours are true then Vice City may be fleshed out more within the HD universe if a next GTA happens within a few years.

10 minutes ago, Aquila said:

I figured Liberty City was set in the state of Liberty. It's fleshed out enough for it to be included within our universe, despite the size. Plus, there's mention of Liberty City in our map, it's hard to ignore that it exists.

Reason why I'm bringing Vice City in the mix is because there's also reference to it in the game too. Additionally, if the rumours are true then Vice City may be fleshed out more within the HD universe if a next GTA happens within a few years.

And then again it doesn't change a thing. GTA lore quite literally is based on satire so it definitely shouldn't be taken seriously in a roleplay setting. There's quite literally no point in keeping VC or LC references since you can simply say Miami or NY and you will be able to refer to real life events from those states (i.e. WTC).

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Aquila said:

Currently the continuity we have makes no sense, seems rushed, and causes so many conflicts.

hard agree. feel like it needs a nice rework since theres a whole team dedicated to continuity, would be nice to see

well written thread as per @i dont wanna od in LA always thinking of the bigger picture

I think a decision had to be made for gta lore vs RL city lore.

If you want to be able to reference anything from say NYC such as Times Square vs Star Junction or Statue of Liberty vs statue of happiness, then the preference had to fall down on the side of the real city names.

I do think that the gta:lore city names like LC should have been allowed to be used as nicknames for the cities (just like the big apple etc), but that’s personal preference and one where mileage may vary.

1 hour ago, BadassBaboon said:

That's why GTAW should've just used GTA Lore entirely instead of coming up with it's own. It's a headache.

Quite literally GTA Lore is a satire of LA from early 2010s. It's the worst possible option. Not to mention the fact that then again all pre-2017 events would simply not exist. GTA5 lore does not state who founded the state, doesn't reference any major events from the past. It's just a huge no.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, SugarDavis said:

This server seems so dead set on the California aesthetic but unwilling to deal with the shitty parts of California like high taxes, restrictive laws/government regulation, and heavy gun control. If it were up to me (the all knowing and all powerful), I'd just adopt as much of California as we feasibly can and then anything we DON'T like can be deviated from using IC means like the legislature changing laws, court rulings, etc. 

Half the things you mentioned require men-power to deal with, you can't automate everything.

• Wuhtah locked this topic