Improve Medical RP

petrosxo

Short description: Prescription drugs, Doctor script job, injury script and more.

Detailed description: Medical RP right now on the server is nearly non-existant. If you get wounded, you get transfred to the hospital and then it's up to you to decide wether you are going to RP your injuries, fully heal and walk outside like nothing happened, or die. That's problematic for 2 main reasons: a) It's unrealistic. b)It makes Medical-RP (injuries, prescription drugs, surgeries ect.) completely optional.

In order to fix that we need to start by adding an actual injury script. The way the script works after the injury depents on the area of the injury. If the player is injured in an area like the legs or a non-fatal injury in the torso or back:
1) Imediatelly after being injured in a non-fatal area, the player will not suffer any debuffs. The adrenaline would have kept the character moving, so that he can get out of danger.

2) After 5-10 minutes the pain will start, blurry screen, strenght/pace debuffs, tripping over etc. (that changes based on your injury (how much damage have you taken and in which areas).
3) If there's bleeding the effects will intensify and after 10-18 minutes, if the injury isn't properly treated, the player will pass out. 

The system described above is just an example of what an injury script would look like, of course the whole thing needs balancing and general changes. It also changes based on the area injured and the injury itself. 

After the player is treated for his injuries, there should be a recovery phase. Depending on your injury that should last between 5-32 hours.

After the player arrives at the hospital, instaid of rping his recovery alone through /me's, there should be actual RP there.

Doctor job script:

The main features:

-Surgery (opperate on a player, remove bullets, stop bleeding on areas like the torso ect.)

-Healing (Stop bleeding on the legs by applying a bandage, fix a broken bone ect.)

-Prescriptions

Prescriptions:

-After the player is treated for his injury, he will go through a recovery phase. The player will suffer some debuffs (how much these debuffs effect your game depents on how severe the injury was). To minimize these debuffs the player will need to take medicine. It's important that this whole recovery phase isn't annoying to the player, so the way I think it should work is that the player takes an X ammount of prescribed medicine and 90% of the debuffs go away, while the whole recovery phase lasts half as much.
Example: The player is shot on the leg by an SNS pistol. The recovery phase would last 8 hours and the player would be prescribed medicine to help with the injury. If the player doesn't take the medicine, he wouldn't be able to run for a long time (e.g. run for over 5 seconds). After the player takes the medicine, the recovery phase "timer" drops to 4 hours and the player will be able to run for longer (e.g. run for 45 seconds). Prescription drugs can be purchused in the hospital or in a drug store.

Commands to add: -

Items to add: Prescription medicine (Opioids, Stimulants etc.), Bandages, First aid kits, ++ (items that can be bought from a drug store to treat an injury).

How would your suggestion improve the server? Adds more depth to Medical RP. That's benefitial in multiple ways: a) Makes Medical RP more interesting, so there will be more Doctors, Ambulance drivers ect. b) Makes the server way more realistic when it comes to injuries c) New business opportunities (Drug store, private clinics, private doctor's office etc.) 

Additional information: As I've already said, the mechanism described above is far from perfect. The main point that I'm trying to get across with this suggestion is that there should be more depth in Medical RP and a new injury system.

• Upvote 3
38 minutes ago, petrosxo said:

Medical RP right now on the server is nearly non-existant. If you get wounded, you get transfred to the hospital and then it's up to you to decide wether you are going to RP your injuries, fully heal and walk outside like nothing happened, or die. That's problematic for 2 main reasons: a) It's unrealistic. b)It makes Medical-RP (injuries, prescription drugs, surgeries ect.) completely optional.

We always give people a choice at PHMC. If you wanna roleplay things realistically, you'd see people sit in the hospital for a month after being shot. If you feel up to it - good for you. If you don't feel up for it - also good for you. The servers and the hospital staff give you a choice. You can't (or, shouldn't) force a peron to RP being sick for 1 week if they log in once a week for 5 hours to have fun with their friends. It kind of defeats the purpose of having said fun, and no one shouldn't judge people because of it.

Also - I don't think we need a system for something that, by all accounts, should be roleplayed by players. It's a quality control issue in my mind, and few people really have the time, patience, or strength to tell people they should read up about injuries, or explain to them that after taking 3 shotgun shots to the chest they wouldn't really be speaking, or they can't talk while unconscious. Because that's the things that happen in Pillbox on a bi-daily basis - I think it would benefit the quality of RP if people chose to educate themselves rather than be forced. It's also a matter of courtesy to let players in the medical field to get their roleplay as well.

Extensive medical RP is there for those who want it. Time is not really an issue on GTAW for how flexible it is. Police Academy training doesn't last a year. People get university degrees in three months. I reckon you can get out of hospital in a day if you please as well. If you wanna stay for a week - that's also fine.

Trivia: For anyone thinking medical RP is non existant - I recommend you drop by Pillbox on a Saturday evening. x

Edited by Sitra
  • Upvote 4
59 minutes ago, Sitra said:

We always give people a choice at PHMC. If you wanna roleplay things realistically, you'd see people sit in the hospital for a month after being shot. If you feel up to it - good for you. If you don't feel up for it - also good for you. The servers and the hospital staff give you a choice. You can't (or, shouldn't) force a peron to RP being sick for 1 week if they log in once a week for 5 hours to have fun with their friends. It kind of defeats the purpose of having said fun, and no one shouldn't judge people because of it.

Also - I don't think we need a system for something that, by all accounts, should be roleplayed by players. It's a quality control issue in my mind, and few people really have the time, patience, or strength to tell people they should read up about injuries, or explain to them that after taking 3 shotgun shots to the chest they wouldn't really be speaking, or they can't talk while unconscious. Because that's the things that happen in Pillbox on a bi-daily basis - I think it would benefit the quality of RP if people chose to educate themselves rather than be forced. It's also a matter of courtesy to let players in the medical field to get their roleplay as well.

Extensive mmedical RP is there for those who want it. Time is not really an issue on GTAW for how flexible it is. Police Academy training doesn't last a year. People get university degrees in three months. I reckon you can get out of hospital in a day if you please as well. If you wanna stay for a week - that's also fine.

Trivia: For anyone thinking medical RP is non existant - I recommend you drop by Pillbox on a Saturday evening. x

Last time my character got involved in a shootout the cops waited 30 minutes for an ambulance just to realize that there were not enough paramedics online, so the cops drove my character to the hospital and told me to RP my injuries as I please. Also you shouldn't have to wait for a saturday evening to check if a main part of RP exists or not.

This is a server that strives for realism. If someone gets on 5 hours a week and expects not to roleplay (or just wait) 5 hours for an injury heal, I don't think this is the server for them. But even more, these players shouldn't be something that stops the server from developing. With that logic we shouldn't have a PD because people want to have fun in the server and not RP getting arrested.

Edited by petrosxo

First and foremost your assertion that medical RP is non-existent is absurd. 

Between PHMC, LSFD, and all the other clinics and EMS assets, there are plenty of opportunities to engage in medical RP.

That being said, I think some additional scripting to help players roleplay their injuries realistically, at least in the short term, would be welcome by all. I despise having to ask players about their vital signs, because 95% of them have no idea what vitals would be realistic. The only issue here is creating a realistic and high-fidelity medical system would be time consuming. Medicine is a big topic, and creating all the different medications with different dosages and effects, would be, impossible. They would have to select key topics to focus on, issues that would be most common amongst our player base (trauma, you could also say infectious disease like a cold or the flu). And add resources relevant to what is most common. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, TheSenate said:

First and foremost your assertion that medical RP is non-existent is absurd. 

Between PHMC, LSFD, and all the other clinics and EMS assets, there are plenty of opportunities to engage in medical RP.

I 100% agree. It was an over exaggeration. The whole point of the suggestion was to add more depth to Medical RP.

If anything needs to be added, Its cost of treatment...

I mean right now, Health care is free and that by itself is bonkers in my mind. It disrupts a flow for players to take matters in their own hand. 

Someone could set up a insurance company that you pay monthly and when you do land in the hospital that insurance company would cover the bill or not, depending on their regulations.

You also leave out the option for people to roleplay medics/doctors outside of the medical field. People that aren't technically doctors, but don't ask questions when you are shot and might even be cheaper due to their maybe not so healthy practices. They could be using unregulated drugs to sedate or remove pain.

Other then that the drug system should really be upped on this side of the field as well. The pain should not be completely over by using one pill. It should linger longer, which encourages more drug use that can turn into an addiction. 

Those are really my two cents, I mean, If you really look at the amount of "gang" members that come in to the hospital with gun wounds.. someone needs to pay for those treatments! 🙂

Edited by Ryoichi
  • Upvote 1

So the biggest issue, and it's what I saw when I was in FD and still see in PD is this. Medical roleplay offers no value to the average player. They're put already in a situation they didn't want to be in in the first place. Either they got shot in a shootout they initiated, obviously expecting to win that engagement or they got shot by someone without choosing to initiate that roleplay. In either instance of getting wounded - they didn't plan for it. They don't want to do it. 

Is that the right way to go? Absolutely not. But there's an issue on the server, like many others. People say "We want realism!" but in practice what they actually mean is "We want realism when it's convenient for us and our characters!" Being injured, I think we can agree is greatly inconvenient. So I think until something is done where you actually have to force it on the community, nothing will change. And it's not fair to the casual player. But as it sits right now it's up to admin discretion which is wishy washy at best to determine whether someone is roleplaying their injuries properly.

I don't know if the systems you're suggesting are going to fix that. Would it be a nice supplement if an injury system was forced? Yeah it would. But it's not addressing the actual issue and in fact I can see several situations already where it can actually make it worse.

And don't call EMS personnel ambulance drivers. There's a ton more to that job than just driving an ambulance.

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

"We want realism when it's convenient for us and our characters!"

I agree, it's really important to find a balance so that the debuffs aren't annoying to the point that the game is not fun to play, but there should be some for realism and so that Medical RP actually exists.

11 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

And don't call EMS personnel ambulance drivers. There's a ton more to that job than just driving an ambulance.

Yeah, my bad, didn't mean it that way 🙂

1 hour ago, petrosxo said:

This is a server that strives for realism. If someone gets on 5 hours a week and expects not to roleplay (or just wait) 5 hours for an injury heal, I don't think this is the server for them. But even more, these players shouldn't be something that stops the server from developing. With that logic we shouldn't have a PD because people want to have fun in the server and not RP getting arrested.

Except hospital stay is mostly sitting in your room alone once the doctors and nurses take care of you, so they can go and provide RP to another patient. When you're arrested, you get roleplay along the way throughout the whole journey, from arrest to prison time. There's a huge difference here that I don't think you necessarily see clearly - law enforcement is much more inclusive than the process of self-healing, you don't have nurses and doctors watching over you 24/7. You sit in your room, eat, sleep, charge they phone. 

My character, right now, is in the recovery ward of the hospital after being assaulted, with heavy facial injuries - it's legit laying in a room without the opportunity to even walk, being able to take in a guest (when they want to visit / when your schedules match during the weekdays, which can be hard) and asking for painkillers every few hours. That's all the interaction you get when you want to keep it "realistic". That's where your character is locked in for however many days you see fit, if their injuries are severe.  That considered, saying that a person not wanting to mostly AFK in a single bed room "doesn't have a place here" is pretty rude, not gonna lie. Because as much as I'd personally don't mind it - or simply not log in and wait it out - I understand that some people don't have the time in their week to simply give RP a pause. Not all of us are neets. Not all of us can get on every day. 

The step of adding drug scripts is a good one to have been the first, and we already have that. We have a bleeding script as well that requires bandages, which are also a hospital script-created item. Both are ICly available solely to players who play as doctors (and nurses / EMTs for bandages), which aren't many. Anything above that would require a higher number of medical staff. I think the main problem here is healthcare services, as of now, not having enough staff to facilitate RP 24/7, but it's not something we can amend - we don't do shifts to be online, our characters don't live through their work vicariously, it's not our second job. I personally always try to poke in faction chat for medics if they could get on duty whenever there was an ambulance incoming, just to make sure we can provide roleplay to our best ability, but it's not always possible. And you don't see people applying for either businesses or medical position in the government all too often.

Edited by Sitra
  • Wuhtah locked this topic