Script Additions: Expanded Self Defense

Flanders

Preamble: This is being suggested because I believe there's a lack of availability of options for legal-siding players to defend themselves against would-be criminals. In the real world there exist a plethora of self-defense tools for a concerned person to select from that isn't packing around a whole gun. In American society not everyone pulls a strap around because those options exist as safer, less lethal alternatives, whereas CCW people are a nicher side of the population that typically excuse their fascination of guns with self-defense.

The broad majority of the non-criminal population doesn't carry around guns. This has already been partially attempted to be solved by the fact that you need to have certain OOC requirements of your character to be able to acquire a PF and a CCW license, but I don't think that's enough. I believe if alternative, meaningful options like the two I'm suggesting below are presented, the oversaturation of guns will dwindle.

Everyone having guns isn't conducive to roleplay, nor is it realistic. 

The Actual Suggestion:

I'm proposing two new items. Both of these are weapons you equip on the weapon wheel, and can be bought somewhere. Specifically how or where I'm not sure of as of writing, but it seems like a trivial problem to figure out.

Mace/Pepper Spray -

An item with a light weight and a fuel deposit. When equipped, it operates similar to a gun. You have to right click to aim, and then left click to fire. Holding down mouse1 will release a stream of liquid with a short to moderate range. Anyone who hits contact with this stream above the chest will have several negative de-buffs applied to them, including the following: 

- The player's vision is blurred heavily, and the drunk woozy effect is applied. A red screen also tints the player's vision.

-  The player's punch melee attack damage is reduced by half.

- The player's ability to aim weapons is severely hindered, either by an extreme sway effect or through just randomizing the bullet spread to be really really high. 

Along with these effects, when a person is sprayed with Mace an automatic injury ticks in their injury box, stating, ' This person has the signs of having been sprayed by mace. ' This is due to the fact that a large majority of Mace manufacturers will stain their products either with chemicals that stick to skin and clothes, or with glowing chemicals that are extremely visible in the dark.

Stun Gun -

The Stun Gun operates similar to the taser, but rather than being a ranged weapon it's a melee one. It has the animations for the flashlight attack (or something similar/better, I'm not a dev) and when it successfully strikes someone it applies the taser effect to them, which is already scripted in with the regular taser. The stun gun does no/very little damage.

In conclusion, think about how many situations that turn physical can be easier defused with one of these two options rather than heading immediately to lethal, character-ending force. There's so many more options than using guns, and the current implementation of nearly every active character having a firearm of some kind is unrealistic and unfun. These alternative options are more useful, and less lethal than firearms.

Please debate your opinions in the comments as is with suggestions, give a negative or a positive rating depending on your opinion, and thanks for your consideration.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1

The stunt gun would be hard to roleplay since in real life it doesn't mean every use of it is successful since there is a lot of factors in play. I believe it would give an individual too much control since he would practically be untouchable. These are not very common in real life and as such I don't support this particular thing being added to the game since I believe all of a sudden everyone would have one and melee combat would become akward because of it. 

The first and foremost defensive tool you have is you, your body and your capabilities of pyhsically defending yourself. People that do not know how to roleplay that, well not everyone knows how to fight or defend themselves in real life, maybe a promotion of self defense classes should be done.

In regards to the pepperspray I support it to some extent since it's used more common in real life but it also has a lot of factors. If the wind is blowing towards you, you can catch it yourself, either way you can spray yourself by accident as police often experiance since it has tricky usage because it's particles being sprayed out and can quickly go wrong. But again it would be hard to roleplay, some people get really fucked up by these but then again another person's tolerance and sheer will from anger might overcome the effect and beat you to a pulp either way. I don't know how these things would be enforced and regulated and I believe it would cause a lot of powergaming unintentionally.

The thing is, like you mentioned, the introduction of these items will merely serve as options, therefore the whole point of reducing gun usage and its oversaturation falls short because 1) owning a gun, legal or illegally, is going to remain exceptionally easy and 2) between having the option to own one or less lethal alternatives, people will instinctively keep wanting to acquire the one that ultimately fills their needs more effectively.

I'm not against the implementation of these items because I believe they're good alternatives in more passive scenarios, but I don't expect any significant changes to happen in the gun market — I don't think the demand for them will decrease, nor do I think this will impact how much they are supplied. 

It's already been said by LFM that Tazers wont be added for civilians. 

Given most criminal RPers pull a gun, you'd need to be at a close proximity to use pepper spray for it to work and before you get close you're gonna be in the injured script.

It's a no from me cause of the point I made with pepper spray.

I wouldn't mind seeing civilian self defense options expanded outside of carrying a gun or a knife, as these options offer little in way of de-escalating a situation in most circumstances. We'd have to iron out the details of how the pepper spray works in terms of how it'd affect it's victims, but I like the idea. 

9 hours ago, KoishiKomeiji said:

It's already been said by LFM that Tazers wont be added for civilians. 

Like was said here, I find it unlikely a one-click ragdoll like a taser or stun-gun will ever be made broadly available to curb abuse. 

It'd be nice to have the option to fight back without having to potentially commit murder. Could just make it so pepper spray makes you unable to shoot or fight for a few seconds but you can still move around. Gives the criminal a chance to choose between tryna cap you still when it's over or legging it.

The above comment that stun guns aren't readily available isn't true as you can buy them just about anywhere, including gas stations. But that's moot as LFM said no.

But I support any and all ways to improve self defense, and having gotten OC spray certified a few years back (worst experience ever), I can say it would without question incapacitate someone. Especially the gel instead of the mist. Big oof.

You'll just get shot for pulling one of these and eventually everybody is going to have tazers and mace and then you'll see gang bangers running around with tazers and mace just like the hunting rifles. So uh, no. You could carry around a knife or knuckleduster as the alternative. Plenty of women carry these things around already.

On 6/1/2021 at 2:28 PM, Doosty said:

I wouldn't mind seeing civilian self defense options expanded outside of carrying a gun or a knife, as these options offer little in way of de-escalating a situation in most circumstances. We'd have to iron out the details of how the pepper spray works in terms of how it'd affect it's victims, but I like the idea. 

Like was said here, I find it unlikely a one-click ragdoll like a taser or stun-gun will ever be made broadly available to curb abuse. 

Wouldn't a cooldown / added server rules be able to prevent any sort of abuse though?

• Wuhtah locked this topic