The State of Robbery RP: Low effort, High gains

12 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Speaking of gangs being built in RICH areas and be portrayed as poor gang members.. while they take over a rich area.

Ever heard of gentrification? There's nothing particularly wrong with people starting a gang in Vespucci Canals. There are multiple gangs who operate in heavily gentrified areas in LA. Look at all the Long Beach gangs for example. Since you love sticking to the server lore so much. What taxes? What fees? Yeah, they don't exist. Not to mention the fact that Vespucci was modelled after Venice Beach in LA which is literally considered the 2nd Skidrow at this point.

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Ever heard of gentrification? There's nothing particularly wrong with people starting a gang in Vespucci Canals. There are multiple gangs who operate in heavily gentrified areas in LA. Look at all the Long Beach gangs for example. Since you love sticking to the server lore so much. What taxes? What fees? Yeah, they don't exist. Not to mention the fact that Vespucci was modelled after Venice Beach in LA which is literally considered the 2nd Skidrow at this point.

Again, my question, how can those gangs afford housing in those areas.. and I was not the one who mentioned TAX!

Hey its this thread again, the one that pops up every few months and gets locked and forgotten and all the genuine concerns that are mentioned get ignored. 

Lets hope this isn't the case this time, anyhow. I've skimmed through this thread, taking in all the information along with my personal experiences I came to a conclusion and a possible fix for the issue.

I personally think its true that 9/10 terrible robberies are done by free roam players, players with little to no character development just out to have some good ol' adrenaline inducing fun. I very rarely encountered poor robbery roleplay from someone from an actual faction. I think that is mainly because these people are generally more invested in their roleplay story and their faction leaders will enforce a stricter policy on roleplaying jail. Not allowing people to just come back to roleplay with the faction after a mere four days. Not only does this improve their quality, but it's also amazing for their screenshot thread. It's a lot of fun to see what characters occupy themselves with when in prison and the new connections they could possibly make there.

I think a possible solution to the issue of extremely poor robbery roleplay would be to limit robberies to "official" factions, much like how underage characters have to be part of a gang. The whole reason for the underage characters being restricted like this is to avoid abuse and the likes of that. I think that applying this to robberies would help tremendously with roleplay quality. Not only can you report players on the forums for their bad portrayal. But if it's restricted to factions the thread holder (faction leader) will be held responsible for the actions of their members. And no sensible faction leader wants their group to have a bad reputation of bad roleplay. So people among themselves will address their poor behavior or portrayal. 

Might not be the best system, but it'll also encourage solo roleplayers to join a faction. Making for more roleplay inside these factions and less work for the admin team as players will naturally correct each other to avoid a bad reputation for their group. 

• Applaud 1

I think another important piece to this puzzle is expectations. Due to the point the server's atmosphere has come to, some illegal RPers are cutting corners and rushing things. For exactly the same reason, some legal RPers are being overly gung-ho and trigger-happy. It's because considerable parts of both sides have internalized an expectation that the other side is going to try their very best to OOCly "win" the situation, impact on quality of RP be damned. A lot of the time this probably isn't the case, but because one or both sides expect the other side to try to OOCly weasel out of the situation with maximum gains/minimum losses, the situation turns into some awful tug-of-war seeing who can stretch the limits the farthest without an admin catching wind of it or dealing with it. 

Remember, I'm not saying nobody ever tries that, I'm saying for a lot of people it's become the default expectation from everyone.

I don't have any suggestion to actually remedy this issue, but it's something I don't see mentioned a lot and it seems a lot of people don't consider it.

40 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

I'm completely ignorant about gang RP. I admit it.

But isn't this a problem that the hierarchy of your gang should be addressing IC and OOC? I mean, it can't be a very good gang, or have very intelligent leaders, if it's letting its members be PKed because they have no means to defend themselves, right?

Or maybe I'm wrong.

You’re wrong. I’m in the leadership of my gang and I still find it very difficult to get weapons as I barely have enough money. I have the connections now after a few months of roleplay but it’s the money that’s the issue.

Im not saying I do get PKed out of every war with no means to defend myself, what I meant was I’m not going to bend over backwards and NOT try to get a weapon even though I would need one.

3 minutes ago, EffPee said:

You’re wrong. I’m in the leadership of my gang and I still find it very difficult to get weapons as I barely have enough money. I have the connections now after a few months of roleplay but it’s the money that’s the issue.

Thanks. I didn't know this.

6 hours ago, Engelbert said:

I personally find some of the statements untrue. I have like 3 illegal characters and if your plan isn't to portray an El Chapo, in which case robberies will get you nowhere, you have plenty of ways to get some quick buck. It will not make you millionaire, but most of criminal portrayals I saw til now, all suffer from a tunnel vision, guns and drugs are the best. And easiest way to get both are robberies. Well guess what? In 21st century majority of people. especially those who have actual money and work, will go to police EVEN if you tell them not to. Ofc most of people here have no balls to steal from other criminals and teens on the streets are left with only few options, And that's it. If you actually CARED about roleplay, you'd find plenty of opportunities. You just have to roleplay them. It's easy to find victims if you approach them with roleplay. Aiming your gun from a BF400 is the first that puts them off. They will give their items, but that's it.

Yes man, I don’t care about my roleplay. Thanks for making this observation after looking through my 800 posts on the forums.

I would steal from other criminals/teens, I make it a point to go out to their neighbourhoods and catch them lacking for the sake of any active conflicts we have going. However, gang affiliates don’t stand outside on their lonesome looking like an easy target, so unfortunately I have to go for the easy targets with the nice cars and the nice clothes. 

“but I was able to get something like five grand in two days, without robbing someone. I only did a car break-in, a pickpocket and small scam.”

What you have listed here, is three different forms of robbery. Pray tell how this proves that robberies aren’t one of the only ways to make money as an illegal roleplayer.

In fact, let me make this clear. As a GANG roleplayer, it’s not as easy to make money if you don’t want to break character and ignore your roleplay and development. But PLEASE tell me again how I don’t care about my roleplay.

1 hour ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Yup, that was noticed gangs try to rob more wealthy parts of the town randomly drive by and scope out people who come out of their house and such, that's a tad shows they don't do it for the sake of Roleplay, they do it for the loot.

Why would someone not rob a wealthy house over a poor house?

Why would someone not wait for the owner of the house to leave before robbing the house?

What on earth are you talking about?

Seeing how everyone is giving long and detailed arguments to express their points, I believe you all here put effort in your roleplay. The ones who don't, they probably dont even check the forums, so the conversation here might can get quite useless.

• mj2002 locked this topic