Why do people identify civilians as "rats" immediately?

Sasquatch98

18 hours ago, Smilesville said:

It doesn't happen at all. Prove me wrong.

What, you can't?

That's the exact point I'm making. You can say it happens all you want, but nobody sees it. I've personally witnessed staff pass off wordless Mouse1 mashing with a bat as acceptable, so don't gaslight people and invalidate what they've witnessed with their own eyes.

Ask IFM yourself, brother. 😅 Not only is every single faction leader in the IFM chat as we speak, but they're in constant co-ordination with IFM discussing various issues, whether they pertain to our faction or another faction

18 hours ago, Smilesville said:

Again - all the closed door nonsense means you can't prove a thing. You can certainly say you've proven it, but that doesn't make your opinion a fact or a standard of the server.

For all the talk you do about bullshit claims, you make quite a few of your own.

It's not that we can't prove it, it's that we're not obliged to prove it to you. We're also obliged to refrain from leaking IFM chats as per server rules.

Edited by Garras Up
1 minute ago, EffPee said:

I'm not saying this because others insist it. I'm in the IFM discord as a faction leader so I know what goes on in there.

Sure.

But you can't directly provide screenshots of that information to anyone else, I would imagine. See where the trust breaks down? There's no outwardly visible accountability at all - players have only their own personal experiences and very conflicting forum statements to benchmark the state of the illegal sphere.

As I mentioned before, illegal play has a unique propensity to negatively impact another's character. This impact can happen in an entirely appropriate manner, of course, but it's still something that needs the sort of stringent oversight we're talking about - and higher visibility to the community at large would not be a bad thing at all. If a civilian metagames information that negatively impacts your crime ring, I would hope and expect that to be dealt with as swiftly and severely as the aforementioned example of aimbot robbers traipsing through the forest looking for marks.

The crux of the issue is that the lack of visibility raises suspicions, and you can't blame people for not wanting to simply take your word for it - especially in light of the segments of the illegal community they've experienced personally.

30 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

Sure.

But you can't directly provide screenshots of that information to anyone else, I would imagine. See where the trust breaks down? There's no outwardly visible accountability at all - players have only their own personal experiences and very conflicting forum statements to benchmark the state of the illegal sphere.

As I mentioned before, illegal play has a unique propensity to negatively impact another's character. This impact can happen in an entirely appropriate manner, of course, but it's still something that needs the sort of stringent oversight we're talking about - and higher visibility to the community at large would not be a bad thing at all. If a civilian metagames information that negatively impacts your crime ring, I would hope and expect that to be dealt with as swiftly and severely as the aforementioned example of aimbot robbers traipsing through the forest looking for marks.

The crux of the issue is that the lack of visibility raises suspicions, and you can't blame people for not wanting to simply take your word for it - especially in light of the segments of the illegal community they've experienced personally.

The fact of the matter is, you aren't entitled to see the ins-and-outs of how the powers that be actually do their job. I don't proclaim to even be in the know of everything that goes on, I just know that it does happen behind the scenes and it also happens when I've put in complaints and reports.

Naturally, not everything can go my way and I can appreciate that there's two sides to every story, but I can safely say that even though I have qualms with the speed of resolutions, more often than not the resolution that has come is sufficient enough to improve the issues I face within the illegal roleplay community. People get punished, people are put under the radar and are taught by their faction leaders and/or IFM members on how to better face the problem within the given context; I find it very hard to believe that there are people out there that genuinely think illegal roleplayers are favoured, there's still a long way to go before that becomes the case.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, EffPee said:

The fact of the matter is, you aren't entitled to see the ins-and-outs of how the powers that be actually do their job. [...] I find it very hard to believe that there are people out there that genuinely think illegal roleplayers are favoured, there's still a long way to go before that becomes the case.

Likewise, it seems to me that it's so flagrantly obvious in the multiple benefits built into the way the system works that the illegal sphere is favored - and any stated opinion to the contrary is extremely disingenuous.

You can say people aren't entitled to see the job being done, but don't be surprised when people begin proposing what's being hidden is a lack of substance and depth.

7 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

You can say people aren't entitled to see the job being done, but don't be surprised when people begin proposing what's being hidden is a lack of substance and depth.

You're entitled to your opinion, but thinking something doesn't make it a fact, my friend.

On 4/11/2021 at 1:56 AM, arandomgamer said:

How dare people come back from 10 hours of work + commute and want to unwind and do something fun instead of logging onto GTAW to roleplay even more work.

Nothing bad with that whatsoever as far as I’m concerned, just that when everyone has the same idea of how they want to spend their time off work; it quickly becomes a case of high quality civilian roleplayers being overshadowed by a swarm of people looking to purely benefit their own experience & not benefit the roleplay environment around them for everyone involved.

End of the day, unique characters make the server fun; LA’s a wacky place in real life with wacky characters after all. They break up the monotony of mostly generic characters & stand out from the crowd. What matters most in my opinion is that players understand that they should always take a step back during a roleplay situation to think to themselves “Is the other player(s) I’m interacting with having fun too?”; even if such consideration is only ever shown by a very small number of players in the community.

Edited by TinPan
15 hours ago, Garras Up said:

So... You're lying then. There's a reason IFM has a group chat with all faction leaders in 1 place, factions get spoken to when shit arises, it just happens behind closed doors. IFM isn't gonna name and shame factions and make them look bad to everyone else just because YOU personally think they should.

I'm not going to engage in the debate I'm seeing here, I've RPd with excellent criminal RPers and not so good ones - some of the not so good ones are now banned from the server, so maybe there's something to that.

But, your comment stood out to me. I know you can't give out names, but for people like me who only RP civilian characters, I'm really interested to know how this works. Are punishments handed out? How widely are issues discussed - by this I mean is it limited to specific incidents, or are there themes discussed and agreed on? For example, I've seen less South City RPers coming to Sandy and Harmony trying to rob people than there were a couple of months ago, might this be a type of topic that could be discussed?

Does RPQM get involved in the discussions?

Some people have said this before, but I'll reiterate it: if I meet up with a poor civilian RPer, I can just move away and leave them to their thing. But if I meet a poor illegal RPer, there's a chance my RP experience is about to be impacted in some way, probably negatively.

I just think it would be nice to know, with that in mind, what IFM and the faction leaders talk about.

Thank you.

Edited by Greyfeather
Grammar
1 hour ago, Greyfeather said:

I'm not going to engage in the debate I'm seeing here, I've RPd with excellent criminal RPers and not so good ones - some of the not so good ones are now banned from the server, so maybe there's something to that.

But, your comment stood out to me. I know you can't give out names, but for people like me who only RP civilian characters, I'm really interested to know how this works. Are punishments handed out? How widely are issues discussed - by this I mean is it limited to specific incidents, or are there themes discussed and agreed on? For example, I've seen less South City RPers coming to Sandy and Harmony trying to rob people than there were a couple of months ago, might this be a type of topic that could be discussed?

Does RPQM get involved in the discussions?

Some people have said this before, but I'll reiterate it: if I meet up with a poor civilian RPer, I can just move away and leave them to their thing. But if I meet a poor illegal RPer, there's a chance my RP experience is about to be impacted in some way, probably negatively.

I just think it would be nice to know, with that in mind, what IFM and the faction leaders talk about.

Thank you.

To my knowledge multiple factions utilize 2/3 strikes systems that eventually lead to a faction ban/removal. Same way PD and SD are allowed to keep their disciplinary actions behind closed doors, the illegal factions are allowed to do that too. I'm also quite interested by this statement;

if I meet up with a poor civilian RPer, I can just move away and leave them to their thing. But if I meet a poor illegal RPer, there's a chance my RP experience is about to be impacted in some way, probably negatively.

Could you perhaps elaborate? In my opinion, a shitty roleplayer is a shitty roleplayer, doesn't matter on which side he is.

• Wuhtah locked this topic