Your thoughts on law enforcement and jail?

Amellis

On 2/17/2021 at 2:47 PM, Amellis said:

It makes no sense to rob someone at gun point in Legion Square, doesn't matter if it's 3 A.M., it's the city center and we're all supposed to RP our surroundings, which conveniently very rarely happens when criminal activities happen.

I'd recommend O.P. live downtown in a metro area for a while cause I can tell you for a fact our city center in Grand Rapids, Michigan is the real life equivalent of your concern. Think it's ridiculous to see in RP, try living with it happening down the road on a weekly if not daily basis! We were recently highlight reels for quite a few of the protest stories last year.

1 hour ago, Frezemis said:

On topic: Increasing the jail time won't do much we've already put in a criminal point system that once you reach 30 points you will become a lifer. It doesn't stop people from going on their alternative characters and so on just to continue their illegal roleplay adventure.

The incentive structure changes for those who commit crimes for script cash. I've hashed all this out in my suggestion thread, but the crux of the issue is that it doesn't stop the players who're doing it for the right reasons while disincentivizing treating it like an illegal script job. I don't want to impact people who do it for the right reasons, but it's the others who cause grief who need to be addressed.

1 hour ago, Frezemis said:

I'd like to disagree. You're more than welcomed to come to me about this and we can prove this accusation but I don't recall LSPD putting 15 bugs in a single house cause that'd be insane. My PMs are open to discuss this issue as I don't see a need to spread false rumors with no evidence to back it up.

I'm told there's a note on the IFM discord about it, and Nervous responded to the pertinent issue in this thread with the assertion that the decrease in the range of the device scanner was a result of these being found too frequently. I don't find the number of bugs ridiculous in the context of trying to surveil someone, but what's ridiculous to me is the arbitrary hours-long cooldown between attempting to pick them up.

Edited by Smilesville

TTCF is great in small doses. Using LSSD's discord or a prison car discord to get people in-game is effective at getting yourself some role play in jail.

I've spent over a week in there and when there's a lack of RP, I head on my alt. When there's at least one other body I can interact with, there's usually role play to be had. Making sentences longer or making jail time mandatory seems absurd to me because the point of role play is to have fun. If you don't find role playing in jail fun, I don't think it should be forced upon you. Some people prefer all the thrills of role playing a crime, getting caught but not having to perform passive RP in a jail cell.

If you ask me, I personally think this would be a fine way to go about it. Like I believe that people should face the consequences of their actions even in RP. If you're bad at doing crime, ofc you should go to jail.

But at the same time, I can also follow what some of the other people have said. That it should be fun to RP, which is true.

Edited by Netsrac
5 hours ago, Netsrac said:

If you ask me, I personally think this would be a fine way to go about it. Like I believe that people should face the consequences of their actions even in RP. If you're bad at doing crime, ofc you should go to jail.

But at the same time, I can also follow what some of the other people have said. That it should be fun to RP, which is true.

-- Reply to Netsrac --

In my grandest of sincere opinions; we should establish a middle ground between the words "fun" and "roleplay". Roleplay can be fun, but it isn't meant to wholly be fun, there's investments we make in real life into these characters, sure! - And when people get stuff taken from them, whether it's a CK or a prison sentence, there can be grounds for being upset a little irl, as it's your hobby.

-- General point below, based off of above reply: --

If a middle ground can be established, that suits the majority, then all is well. As you cannot please every single person, the best to do is please the majority. And NGL, I was doing inmate RP but it seems like nobody is interested in it because it isn't fun. There's not a lot of dedication or investment into this category of roleplay. 

--- General point below from my perspective: ---

And the only reason for this, is because there's large amounts of roleplay that's primarily found OUTSIDE of prison.

People cannot wait to get back to that, whether it's illegal or legal RP. And when people get jailed, they may feel that they are being restricted on their fun by force, so they wait it out with an alt and RP in the state like that.

The fact that it is a choice is good (always offer a choice when available, it's integral to RP itself), but if you want people to RP in jail, you need to make it more appealing OOCly, not ICly. Present grounds for good roleplay, remap the interiors so the space is actually being used. Cos if you have a prison room with like 8 rooms with 2 beds, it's easier to fill it up and it gives you the appeal that it's full, and then things like RPing investments into a second correctional facility, things like that, can come into fruition. People are more inclined to roleplay because there's, what seems like, a lot of people in a closed environment they can interact with.

There's no point in having a huge castle of a prison until we have the players to demand that supply.

Supply and demand. In this case, there's a lot of supply, and very little demand. Match the PB, is what I say.

Edited by Wynters
Formatting a little more.
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

That's incorrect as well.

Okay, the cooldown is one hour with a percent chance to pick the bug up. Explain to me precisely how that isn't just an RPG mechanic that defies all realism? Nervous admitted as much when the only consideration he spoke about in determining how device scanners would be modified in the thread I linked was the balance aspect.

I can buy a bug on Amazon for fifty bucks. I can buy a bug detector for a few hundred bucks. Better yet, a noise generator to prevent a bug from being useful is even cheaper than that. Prices on these articles are arbitrarily high (with an artificially low supply) because it seems like the only consideration is how it impacts cops versus robbers. The mafia and street gang avatar people versus the police avatar people.

13 hours ago, Topiyo said:

If you don't find role playing in jail fun, I don't think it should be forced upon you.

If you don't find role playing being held at gunpoint by a mugger fun, I do not think it should be forced upon you.

Problem is, it is forced. 

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

If you don't find role playing being held at gunpoint by a mugger fun, I do not think it should be forced upon you.

Problem is, it is forced. 

But prison isn't forced currently. People seem to be asking for it to be forced. 

Being mugged is less than 5 minutes out of your role play (unless you stall and suddenly become a 20wpm typer). Being forced to spend the next IRL week in prison? Should be exactly how it is already, a choice. 

Edited by Topiyo
52 minutes ago, Topiyo said:

But prison isn't forced currently.

Then being mugged should not be forced currently either. Again, you are arguing that one side deserves control over others, but that others should not in turn be allowed any control because, according to you, that would not be "fun" to do.

It is not fun being mugged by most. So, it should not be forced. If there is no issue with forcing a person to be mugged, then I see no issue with forcing muggers to spend a fraction of their prison sentence IC. 

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • effion unlocked this topic