Escalation in GTA:W.

Vincent

Unfortunately, I think you see the issue on both ends. People perceive things different without real world experience. Criminals aren't overly aggressive 24/7, neither are cops. To each his own I guess. People roleplay more of what they see in movies and shows more than anything. 

• Upvote 1

Most of the time, escalation on this server should be like a good build up but in reality it's premature ejaculation and it's depressing to see.

You see, you can't whoop someone's ass over an insult and then either have a beer with them or continue your little fist fight beef with some people. Because some people have to take a W in every scenario and they will find the most stupid, but still approved reason to get rid of you with a PK. I feel like this is a mentality and experience issue. Any experienced player will realize that escalating a scenario might bring up opportunities and development. Someone who's new and wants to make a point, or perhaps has a god complex, will just resort to a PK to deal with a tough situation. Or perhaps people who have guns on them are afraid of someone looting them if they take a L? This is really kind of a complex problem when you think about what I just mentioned there. Because of course, most people who don't have shit for brains won't just loot someone's gun after a fight like "ao thanks bruh nice piece" but then you also have retards who play a 95% legal character with a 9-5 job who will yoink that gun immediately just to have script assets.

See this isn't just about escalation but rather about people having the wrong mentality about what roleplaying actually is. There's a lot more to this problem than just people going from fists to guns, although this seems to be where all of it emerges from. If we had more common courtesy as a community I feel like people wouldn't be scared of losing their shit or simply roleplaying outside. But unfortunately certain players are braindead and they do stupid shit.

Bad roleplay on this server comes from people not knowing what roleplaying is about, as stated before by OP. Some people, quite frankly, should not be playing here and I applaud all the admins who straight up bully the retards who have been ruining this community ever since this server became a thing. I approve of the massive perma banning that is happening recently, because we've all seen enough. You can only teach people for so long, they will either understand what they're doing here or they will not, and then it's time to yeet them out of our community and let them reflect on what roleplaying is.

The wrong mentality and idea of roleplay is the reason why these threads keep popping up and escalation is not the only problem caused by this. It's why PD has play2win cucks, it's why people can't escalate, and it's why people can't steadily develop their characters but opt to grind assets instead. We, as a community, should remind new/unexperienced players that roleplaying is about development and portrayal. If you kill someone over insults, it's just going to end there and you'll die out of boredom. If you don't kill an individual and instead go for a fight or you give up and allow them to stick around and poke at you, it might create for some fun back and forth roleplay and the situation will escalate properly. This is just an example, but I hope that with that said people will understand that there really is no fucking need to murder each other or even draw weapons in 99% of situations.

Lastly, I'd like to say that even though this is an important issue that I'm glad has been brought up, I still belive that the problem is becoming less severe than it was a few months back. I am so proud of this community.

I think the issue is GTAW (and most roleplay games) is a microcosm of certain specific characters. For the majority, everyone wants to be, or is, a top gangster, an army veteran, a criminal exiled from their country, a young beautiful person who is also a millionaire and so on which in the first place creates an alpha mentality of your character vs. others. Then you have a setting in which these characters constantly interact through social events i.e. you can have an arrogant college student, a ruthless gang member, and a hardened criminal all within one venue with all three thinking they are better than the other two which leads to quicker esculation.

And then you have the fact the majority of people do not like things that inconvenience how they spend their time on the server. If someone is beaten up, it is much more appealing for them to kill them so they can get their revenge and go back to role playing what they want to, forgetting that they were even beaten up in the first place. The alternative is to spend days (or weeks) back and forth developing the situation which for a lot of people is too much of an inconvinience because it's not what they have fun doing and could result in them "losing" resulting in them taking the first option.

Bring the two together and what you see is what you get but realistically, it's just the nature of a role playing game - especially one based on GTA. You'd have to shift the attitudes of the majority of the playerbase to see it change - which I think could be done through player example and admin action.

Its really contextual in my personal opinion it should start at fists, maybe you attack back with a melee weapon, and THEN guns should be pulled. Shooting should always be the last option. 1.1 is greatly needed however, script fights and brawls last way too long and most of the time end up getting shut down by police even if they are in a secluded alley. In 1.1 people will be more likely to fight/use melees than resorting to gun violence I believe. One of the major cons of fighting is how long it takes, which usually results in people straying away from it as much as possible or just using dusters/knives instead, which then results in someone pulling a gun and boom you now have a mass shooting over something simple. I understand why, if someone pulled a knife on you, most people who is carrying a gun would likely shoot them, it doesn't always have to come to shooting though. Shooting should be the last resort in every situation no matter what character you're playing. 

8 hours ago, Emmanuel_Lorras said:

Thing is.. you'll always have these type of characters around, even in the real world - you got the attitude-wanna-be-tough-guys. During my time as a bouncer, I've seen and met dozens of these dudes, they act like somebody important in their mind and expect to be treated with respect or they gonna call up their buddies if you don't do it their way. Of course, nobody have pulled a gun on me (yet, hehe) , but it did come to the point where we had to call the cops when moron had few people coming over when he was thrown out for being too rude to the staff. And trust me, the dude was escalating it to the point where he began to threat with a dagger.

And that's just some idiot , now imagine when its a drug user or some gang-member whose brains been washed and all he knows is how to be feared due to his background and he'll expect things go his-way. Like many before me have said, simply avoid the confrontation - talk your way out of it and cooperate. That's the only play you'd have in the real world anyways, there can be real pervasive people out there, and they'll basically look at it..as you'd be "Stupid" or not understand your perspective, because in their little minds - they aren't doing nothing wrong. #Criminal Mind

Sure, these kind of interactions may ruin your experience, but your ruining it for yourself. The role-play was never written "It'll go your way and any way you expect it to go" - sure, if your a script-roleplayed, that sets things up like Hollywood director and everything falls into a perfect order and be a complete sell-out roleplayer, otherwise.. its all about "Going with the flow", you got mugged or situation escalated to a point where a guy put a 9mm in your stomach? Trust me, people get shot and killed for way less here in USA, waaaaaaaay less.  So in a way, it didn't ruin no "interesting RP", your just looking at it from a wrong perspective, it just didn't go "your-way" because you was out-powered so to speak and someone came on top in this scenario, but don't mix the interesting RP being ruined by a mugger or somone seeking for trouble, that´s just how society is today - you don't hear much about it , because people are afraid to talk about it as the dude might come after them again, specially when you was jacked / threaten in your own neighborhood, you wouldn't wanna provoke the lunatic and he'd come back looking, that's how people get killed.

This, you'll come across people who will escalate things IRL too just because that's their personality, they get set off and are emotional to a point if they have a gun on them they'll brandish it to intimidate you, it is what it is I've had my fair share of meeting people like that and had knives and bats pulled on me over drama and group clashes outside the club. You just have to respond to it how your character would exactly like "going with the flow" Life isn't a Hollywood movie with a plot that runs and neither is GTA:W so you gotta adapt and survive the way that'll fit your character.

• Upvote 1

had issues with this from all spectrums. One had somebody kill my friend because we made fun of him for being fat lol, and on the other end of the spectrum i had myself being at gunpoint because my character decided to go to a bar and didn't want to pay for alcohol. The club owner decided to pull a gun on me for, what, a 20 dollar bottle of alcohol? Silly.

I think people should look for better ways to respond to things because once you kill somebody that's it. No more RP. There are a bunch of different ways you can respond in conflict without ending the RP right away. And drop the mindset of, "if I dont shoot him he'll just shoot me and bam RP over I lose" it's roleplay you shouldn't be worried about who wins and who loses you should be worried about realism!

Edited by Juicebox.