Preventing illegal activities on new characters

Chaishi

People are so desperate to engage in shoot-outs and robberies within the first ten hours of developing their character, that they actually forget to develop their character. 

In my honest opinion, go play GTA: Online if you cannot conceive the idea of refraining from committing major violent crimes within even the first TEN hours of your character's existence. I'd go far enough to say fourty hours, but that'd be too hard for most people.

Chat it up with your faction for ten hours, form connections, and live life... develop a personality.

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 1
On 4/8/2021 at 12:15 PM, DLimit said:

People are so desperate to engage in shoot-outs and robberies within the first ten hours of developing their character, that they actually forget to develop their character. 

In my honest opinion, go play GTA: Online if you cannot conceive the idea of refraining from committing major violent crimes within even the first TEN hours of your character's existence. I'd go far enough to say fourty hours, but that'd be too hard for most people.

Chat it up with your faction for ten hours, form connections, and live life... develop a personality.

Ones faction should encourage new players to stay away from such activities in early days of their development rather than their being some set in the stone rule that hinders what actions characters can and can not take. People who are using burner accounts solely to rob and DM should be punished separately. This rule only serves to make people AFK on the account they want to DM on for an extra ten hours or whatever.

1 hour ago, springie said:

Ones faction should encourage new players to stay away from such activities in early days of their development rather than their being some set in the stone rule that hinders what actions characters can and can not take. People who are using burner accounts solely to rob and DM should be punished separately. This rule only serves to make people AFK on the account they want to DM on for an extra ten hours or whatever.

I'd rather have them AFK for the first ten hours than for them to DM and rob people on their first hour, to be honest. They should be permanently banned if they can't even develop their character for ten hours.

18 hours ago, springie said:

This rule only serves to make people AFK on the account they want to DM on for an extra ten hours or whatever.

That is the intent. Three hours they have to spend AFK is three more hours without their DMing and trolling.

It makes burner accounts unwieldy and time consuming, which is uniquely, if not violently unrewarding for trolls and griefers. It'll outright kill burner characters too, and put a much needed emphasize on self-preservation.

Edited by DasFroggy
9 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

That is the intent. Three hours they have to spend AFK is three more hours without their DMing and trolling.

It makes burner accounts unwieldy and time consuming, which is uniquely, if not violently unrewarding for trolls and griefers. It'll outright kill burner characters too, and put a much needed emphasize on self-preservation.

couldn't they just make a bunch of alt accounts go to bed why they build up hours and boom the problem will still insist?

1 minute ago, Juicebox. said:

couldn't they just make a bunch of alt accounts go to bed why they build up hours and boom the problem will still insist?

There's actually a nigh infallible system set up for detecting alts. The administration team has a strong track record for detecting alts before they even get into the server proper.

If someone is at the point of using alts, this not only slows them down more, it affords more time for the administration to detect and remove them before they can engage in criminal activity. 

And that is assuming it is a rule adhered to! By the time a troll or or griefers is using alts, they are well into the territory of being banned once found out. Now they are forced to either wait two of the three hours only to be detected and permanently banned before they can do anything, or disregard the three hours and get caught when someone sees their unique name color during a crime and reports them.

These were previously unknown possibilities, and your help in exploring these has revealed just how much more useful this rule would be!

1 hour ago, DoomedAmerica said:

Nah, we as a server should hold the players to a higher standard than limiting what you can do based on how many hours you have. 

As others have helpfully pointed out, there are already parties interested in going so far as to bypass this rule entirely in order to specifically break rules and grief. Holding them to a higher standard has clearly not worked.

This new rule would make a higher standard mandatory too. The only people it would impact are the people who cannot go three measly hours without committing two very specific crimes amidst countless thousands of not millions of activities in the server.

If three hours is too long a time to go without mugging someone...

Edited by DasFroggy
5 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

As others have helpfully pointed out, there are already parties interested in going so far as to bypass this rule entirely in order to specifically break rules and grief. Holding them to a higher standard has clearly not worked.

This new rule would make a higher standard mandatory too. The only people it would impact are the people who cannot go three measly hours without committing two very specific crimes amidst countless thousands of not millions of activities in the server.

If three hours is too long a time to go without mugging someone...

Three hours is too minimal. Make it ten. If it were up to me? It'd be 40. I've never had a character that committed a serious criminal offense within the first fourty hours of roleplay, excluding maybe my first character a few years ago.

Edited by DLimit
On 1/19/2021 at 9:07 AM, .Marcus. said:

I don't think that this is a good idea. If someone wants to RP illegal on a new character, they should be allowed to do that right away - forcing them to spend X hours in game doing other random stuff, before being allowed to rp what they really want (illegal), would only really demotivate people imo.

I agree with this. The topic won’t be supported by me.