Realism vs Fun

Entity

11 minutes ago, nateX said:

I've had multiple interactions with players that when approached about their concerning assets or characters, saying I am ''dictating their roleplay'', and ''ruining their fun''. I, personally find it the most fun when I portray a character. A character with real emotions, his own dress sense, quirks, hobbies, attitude, behavior, issues, et cetera, not just an extended version of myself. I aim to portray something that would realistically happen and at times even just civilians that aim to be a third party character outside of the ''criminal vs law enforcement'' norm which I've noticed. That is what I find fun. 

I don't really find running businesses, racing, or grinding the same job fun, but I have noticed that many others do. People aim to make as much money as possible from different IC jobs, whether that would be to open up doors for future RP or just to seem wealthy in their own eyes. It's simply all just not my cup of tea.

I find the most fun in opening up new RP opportunities that have either not been done, been done incorrectly, or haven't been done in a long while. I find the uniqueness of roleplay I do and the thought process behind improving it very enjoyable as people tend to enjoy it.

But each to their own.

I wouldn't exactly call someone grinding script jobs nonstop and amassing assets someone who's actually interested in roleplay. That's why you're ruining their fun. Because you're stopping them from being that 22 year old  blue haired  multi-million dollar business owner with a fleet of sports cars and zero believability to their character.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

I wouldn't exactly call someone grinding script jobs nonstop and amassing assets someone who's actually interested in roleplay. That's why you're ruining their fun. Because you're stopping them from being that 22 year old  blue haired  multi-million dollar business owner with a fleet of sports cars and zero believability to their character.

Not to defend their poor roleplay quality...but what is wrong with...I quote "that 22 year old blue haired multi-milliona dollar business owner with a fleet of sports cars?"  You think that after coming home from work what I want to do is more paper work? After coming home from a having a drink with my friends, I'll go have a drink again? No, I would want to do things I usually don't get to do often in real life. I'm not denying that sometimes some things must be done for sake of roleplay be that paperwork, or having a drink so your character can bond with others. If people want to put endless hours to RP as rich people afterwards, then so be it. If you don't like it don't interact with them.

This topic turned from Realism vs Fun into, "Fuck your take on roleplay, im the best be like me" topic. Toxic.

1 minute ago, Gambler said:

Not to defend their poor roleplay quality...but what is wrong with...I quote "that 22 year old blue haired multi-milliona dollar business owner with a fleet of sports cars?"  You think that after coming home from work what I want to do is more paper work? After coming home from a having a drink with my friends, I'll go have a drink again? No, I would want to do things I usually don't get to do often in real life. I'm not denying that sometimes some things must be done for sake of roleplay be that paperwork, or having a drink so your character can bond with others. If people want to put endless hours to RP as rich people afterwards, then so be it. If you don't like it don't interact with them.

This topic turned from Realism vs Fun into, "Fuck your take on roleplay, im the best be like me" topic. Toxic.

I don't interact with them if I don't have to.

But you're missing the point. I'm all about having fun while you RP. And I think there should be an air of realism to the server. And I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do what they do in their normal life. Don't blame them a single bit.

But the problem is, when we get so far outside the bounds of even remotely realistic. I don't know about you, but I don't know any 22 year old multimillionaire business owners with 5-10 sports cars. And there's a trend that seems to be going around where that's a norm. We're supposed to be playing characters here. But when people are playing the server with this min max attitude of money/assets over anything else. It just cuts down on everything in my opinion. It shows that people aren't here to play the character or tell a story, but to have some kind of perceived power. Because it's the people RPing millionaires that you'll catch doing deliveries for 6-8 hours a day as long as they can find contracts.

I'm not saying "I'm best, be like me" in the slightest. Not at all. But I would say put some thought into what you're doing.

47 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

I don't interact with them if I don't have to.

But you're missing the point. I'm all about having fun while you RP. And I think there should be an air of realism to the server. And I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do what they do in their normal life. Don't blame them a single bit.

But the problem is, when we get so far outside the bounds of even remotely realistic. I don't know about you, but I don't know any 22 year old multimillionaire business owners with 5-10 sports cars. And there's a trend that seems to be going around where that's a norm. We're supposed to be playing characters here. But when people are playing the server with this min max attitude of money/assets over anything else. It just cuts down on everything in my opinion. It shows that people aren't here to play the character or tell a story, but to have some kind of perceived power. Because it's the people RPing millionaires that you'll catch doing deliveries for 6-8 hours a day as long as they can find contracts.

I'm not saying "I'm best, be like me" in the slightest. Not at all. But I would say put some thought into what you're doing.

Personally I don't mind people grinding for money. If money rules the world and its what 90% of the worlds population wants, then what is it to stop them from seeking it in this game as well. There are people who work two jobs and their life goes by with just sleeping and working 16 hours per day. Now if that is how people want to spend their time playing a game, so be it, it may be percieved as power by them, but I would say having money is comfort. I often see players here make fun of people of the "rich parents" wealth justification. You don't know any 22 year old multimillionaire, and me neither, but I know these people had parents. 

To kinda reply on the air of realism on the server. The server has so many issues on double standarts on what to enforce as realism and what to put a blind eye on it. People not acknowleding the time of the day for example, during midnight all of the businesses are glooming, coffee shops, cinemas with movies for kids at 2am, or car dealerships at 3am. People not respecting in game temperatures, going on the beach or going out wearing shorts and tank tops while the temperatures is 10 degrees celcius. These are the things that ruin immersion for me.  An example was that a cinema was placed yesterday for a kids movie at 1:30 am. Now that to me throws me off more than a guy midlessly grinding money somewhere on a lost corner of the server.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Gambler said:

Personally I don't mind people grinding for money. If money rules the world and its what 90% of the worlds population wants, then what is it to stop them from seeking it in this game as well. There are people who work two jobs and their life goes by with just sleeping and working 16 hours per day. Now if that is how people want to spend their time playing a game, so be it, it may be percieved as power by them, but I would say having money is comfort. I often see players here make fun of people of the "rich parents" wealth justification. You don't know any 22 year old multimillionaire, and me neither, but I know these people had parents. 

To kinda reply on the air of realism on the server. The server has so many issues on double standarts on what to enforce as realism and what to put a blind eye on it. People not acknowleding the time of the day for example, during midnight all of the businesses are glooming, coffee shops, cinemas with movies for kids at 2am, or car dealerships at 3am. People not respecting in game temperatures, going on the beach or going out wearing shorts and tank tops while the temperatures is 10 degrees celcius. These are the things that ruin immersion for me.  An example was that a cinema was placed yesterday for a kids movie at 1:30 am. Now that to me throws me off more than a guy midlessly grinding money somewhere on a lost corner of the server.

To address the second point, having the server's timezone respected would be great but it's impossible due to how widespread the community is. Some people can only play when it's nighttime on the server, that shouldn't restrict 90% of their roleplay. A ton of RP happens at night too, when realistically most people would be sleeping (be it gangsters, mobsters, cops, partygoers, kids etc.).

I think that most of the people who associate having money with having fun are newer players (especially considering the boom that came with the Epic Games' free GTA V in 2020). I'm pretty sure most of the people reading this comment were just like that when they started. You don't just start a brand new gamemode and consider being homeless with no money and no vehicle a fun way to spend your time. The more time you spend RPing, the more you appreciate the details (as it is with everything). I don't think we should blame people who have this mindset. The only thing that can be done is keep it under control and wait for them to gradually adapt.

Either way, I do think that having fun while roleplaying is more important than religiously portraying a realistic character. There's things your character would do that just aren't fun and, at the end of the day, coming back from working in an office for 8 hours just so you can spend 4 more doing paperwork (except this time it's virtual paperwork)... there's better ways to spend your free time. I'm all for portraying a highly realistic character but having fun is crucial. Otherwise, what are we doing here?

• Applaud 1

I enjoy fun through realistic role-play, that's usually the whole idea about heavy role-play communities, specially text one. You spend time doing some background research on your characters-ethnic group and attempt to portray a realistic character , specially when your going for some sort of faction-link-up, you have to do additional research in order to understand how that group operates, what are the cultural believes, music taste and etc.. 

But I mean hey, you always got these Need For Speed guys here who just wanna evade police 24-7 and that´s the "fun" perspective, in my opinion they shouldn't be here as they aren't here to role-play. Evading cops on daily bases ain't exactly an RP, its just cop baiting and sub-par act and no crappy excuse "Well, my character" oh shut it, Scotty. Your full of crap with that 😕. But sadly, with so many players.. there will be dozens of groups that will try to have it in a sloppy-RP way, because they simply lack proper role-play role modeling and they are too lazy to give a damn in improving. They are fine by looking sexy in-game and drive some fancy cars and consider that a "fun experience". Waste of time if you ask me, they could do the same on a TDM server. (Just saying guys...)

o.o

On 1/11/2021 at 10:49 AM, aldo said:

you shouldn't avoid something because you don't like it OOC. you're meant to roleplay a character not yourself

I mean I personally won't Do ERP.. So I just make it so my character doesn't need / wants to copulate etc if you catch my drift.
I mean if you feel IRL uncomfortable RP'ing doing drugs then you should just find a reason why your char wouldn't IC'ly do it.
But yea I do things IC i would never do IRL... most of the things I do IC i wouldn't do IRL xD