Realism vs Fun

Entity

13 hours ago, Smilesville said:

Depends. We're here to have fun, otherwise we wouldn't play.

The only sorts of people who would play here are those for whom realism is a factor in creating fun.

But if those two things come into conflict in a vacuum devoid of other players and/or extenuating circumstances? I'll choose fun over realism every single time - as would any other player, barring the most dogmatic masochist. For example, I've never seen one person RP a wound realistically with regards to lasting permanent damage and the speed of recovery. Assuming no damage to organs or deep tissue, the recovery time for a gunshot is generally 7 to 14 days.

If you claim to value realism over fun, have you given timely RP to proper hospital bedrest? Sure, you'll play along for a day or two, but at some point, the realism puts an unnecessary burden on the fun - and so we accelerate the healing process, and rightfully so.

If you claim to value realism over fun, have you remained in prison for 15 years or more when sentenced for armed robbery? That would be realistic, but of course, this cedes to fun in the lax sentencing guidelines (a bit too lax, if you ask me.)

So let's not pay lip service to a faux ideological purity and recognize we're all here to have fun.

RPing realistically and RPing real life are two totally different things. Not sure what you're trying to achieve here, but for the most you just come off as arrogant and a bit of a snob. 

In the first place GTA W's reality is different to our everyday reality. While they share major similarities they're not the same thing. Economy, time etc etc. 

3 minutes ago, IrCam said:

RPing realistically and RPing real life are two totally different things. Not sure what you're trying to achieve here, but for the most you just come off as arrogant and a bit of a snob. 

In the first place GTA W's reality is different to our everyday reality. While they share major similarities they're not the same thing. Economy, time etc etc. 

I disagree. 

Realistic roleplay is created by basing your roleplay on real things, or at least being inspired from the real world. That doesn't necessarily mean that you can't provide good roleplay without going off of real life, but in my books, if your roleplay is not something off of real life, and rather something you create with your imagination/creativity, it's not "realistic" roleplay. 

There are a lot of factions based on real life gangs or organizations. They provide realistic roleplay. But there's also a lot of factions that are not based on anything real, but still provide good roleplay. It's not "realistic roleplay" in my books, but still good nonetheless, so it's possible either way. People prefer different types of roleplay. If you ask me, I prefer being inspired by something from the real world and emulating that in game. That is what I enjoy. I don't like making up my own "reality", so to speak. Each to their own, though.

On 1/11/2021 at 10:07 AM, BINGBONGGHOST said:

I feel like you're playing GTAW wrong if you're willing to cut off large sectors of RP to play a very sheltered "safe" character, feels cheap to deny everybody else but more importantly yourself of cool unique situations just to play some Ken and Barbie sims simulator.

I should clarify and say playing GTAW as a Ken and Barbie simulator is FINE, not my cup of tea but it's fine - it's when players start breaking flow and deliberately ducking IC events because they're too attached to their character OOC, disregarding what would be realistic in GTAW's "lore" so to speak when it starts to become a problem.

+1

1 minute ago, Maroon said:

I disagree. 

Realistic roleplay is created by basing your roleplay on real things, or at least being inspired from the real world. That doesn't necessarily mean that you can't provide good roleplay without going off of real life, but in my books, if your roleplay is not something off of real life, and rather something you create with your imagination/creativity, it's not "realistic" roleplay. 

There are a lot of factions based on real life gangs or organizations. They provide realistic roleplay. But there's also a lot of factions that are not based on anything real, but still provide good roleplay. It's not "realistic roleplay" in my books, but still good nonetheless, so it's possible either way. People prefer different types of roleplay. If you ask me, I prefer being inspired by something from the real world and emulating that in game. That is what I enjoy. I don't like making up my own "reality", so to speak. Each to their own, though.

But who are you to define what reality is in that type of Roleplay? Are you saying people who RP on other platforms, such as WoW can't provide realistic Roleplay just because it isn't based off real life? Roleplay doesn't have to BE real life for it to be realistic. 

Like I said before, Roleplay is the portrayal of realistic emotions and reactions to events that occur and to the aftermath of those events. 

8 minutes ago, IrCam said:

But who are you to define what reality is in that type of Roleplay? Are you saying people who RP on other platforms, such as WoW can't provide realistic Roleplay just because it isn't based off real life? Roleplay doesn't have to BE real life for it to be realistic. 

Like I said before, Roleplay is the portrayal of realistic emotions and reactions to events that occur and to the aftermath of those events. 

lol where did WoW come from? xD

No, I'm saying people have different definitions of what they believe is "realistic roleplay". 

I'm not talking about other games or other communities, I'm talking about GTA: World in which we roleplay in San Andreas, a state that replaces California in our world. And because of that, I prefer to base my roleplay on things in California. That is what I find "realistic."

Edited by Maroon
2 minutes ago, Maroon said:

lol where did WoW come from? xD

No, I'm saying people have different definitions of what they believe is "realistic roleplay". 

I'm not talking about other games or other communities, I'm talking about GTA: World in which we roleplay in San Andreas, a state that replaces California in our world. And because of that, I prefer to base my roleplay on things in California.

Cause if we're talking about Roleplay, we're talking about Roleplay as a whole. You can't just limit it to fit the narrative you need it to. It goes way beyond just GTAW. But if we're limiting it to just GTAW, even still GTAW's reality isn't the same as real life reality. While they're based on the same concept they differ so much that you can't roleplay things 1:1. And who's to say just because something is created in GTAW it isn't realistic when it's created in THAT setting. 

This whole discussion is off topic from what the OP was originally talking about though. Realism vs Fun. Which is him basically saying he wants to avoid IC consequences because it's not fun for him as an OOC player. Being robbed isn't fun. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be RP'd.  

6 minutes ago, IrCam said:

Cause if we're talking about Roleplay, we're talking about Roleplay as a whole. You can't just limit it to fit the narrative you need it to. It goes way beyond just GTAW. But if we're limiting it to just GTAW, even still GTAW's reality isn't the same as real life reality. While they're based on the same concept they differ so much that you can't roleplay things 1:1. And who's to say just because something is created in GTAW it isn't realistic when it's created in THAT setting. 

This whole discussion is off topic from what the OP was originally talking about though. Realism vs Fun. Which is him basically saying he wants to avoid IC consequences because it's not fun for him as an OOC player. Being robbed isn't fun. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be RP'd.  

Off topic, yes. I'm not the one bringing up a bunch of random communities. This is the GTA World forums, so I thought it would be obvious that we're talking about the roleplay on our server, not in WoW or roleplay as a whole or whatever. I've brought my points across already.

I think what @IrCammeant was that what's realistic for you might not be realistic for me. An example: Trying to lockpick a fancy-ass car which you just KNOW will set off an alarm, while a patrol car is literally sitting across the road and the whole area is populated with many people and patrolling security cause fancy club opening. This might look realistic to some, but also isn't to others. That's just an example. Point is, people shouldn't hide behind realism when it's convenient for them.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Maroon said:

Off topic, yes. I'm not the one bringing up a bunch of random communities. This is the GTA World forums, so I thought it would be obvious that we're talking about the roleplay on our server, not in WoW or roleplay as a whole or whatever. I've brought my points across already.

Lmfao, okay chief. Just completely ignore where I refuted your points and be sarcastic instead. Good shit. 

3 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

I think what @IrCammeant was that what's realistic for you might not be realistic for me. An example: Trying to lockpick a fancy-ass car which you just KNOW will set off an alarm, while a patrol car is literally sitting across the road and the whole area is populated with many people and patrolling security cause fancy club opening. This might look realistic to some, but also isn't to others. That's just an example. Point is, people shouldn't hide behind realism when it's convenient for them.

Basically this. You don't get to define what's "realistic" or not just because it doesn't fit your narrative. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, IrCam said:

Lmfao, okay chief. Just completely ignore where I refuted your points and be sarcastic instead. Good shit. 

Basically this. You don't get to define what's "realistic" or not just because it doesn't fit your narrative. 

Pretty sure the point of this topic wasn't for people to "refute" each others point, but just bring them across. So yeah, good shit.