Why your character shouldn't have a gun

Fusco

1 hour ago, Wirbelwind said:

And this is why I'll be moving this to the discussions because this is simply, objectively incorrect.

I dunno why even move it, 'cause it's barely a discussion. The O.P. predicated all of this on an assumption that your character will be of a certain type, one who has no opinion or experience with guns: and if your character is that type, then yeah, some of this is applicable. Otherwise you're free to do whatever.

I might pick up a P.F. or even C.C.W. on my character as things continue, but personally, I'm just over gunfights as a player. GTAV's shooting mechanics aren't that good, and it's even worse on RAGE. I have way more fun trying to talk situations down or ultimately being the victim than I do pulling out a gun and starting a gunfight, and this was true for me as a cop and remains true as a civilian. I won't rule out getting one for in-character reasons, but I'd still avoid using it.

I mean yeah I know a ton of people who carry IRL legally, but that group gets significantly smaller and smaller the closer you get to the cities. My area also has some pretty strict carrying laws, but Southern California (Which San Andreas is based on) has some of the strictest gun laws in the country.

It's a really complex issue, yes guns are a major part of American culture but that doesn't mean every American is walking around with a CCW. Actually, it seems to be the exact opposite in urban settings. I'd say the vast majority of people either view firearms as dangerous or lack the confidence to carry a firearm. Self Defense legally isn't as black and white as people make it out to be IRL and what you might view as an inconsequential action might invalidate your claim of self defense entirely. This fear alone discourages a lot of people from purchasing firearms for personal protection. 

So yeah I agree with OP that there are a lot of people who have CCW's that shouldn't and definitely don't need. However this isn't really their fault. While the vast majority of Americans don't carry around a CCW, many of them carry around something for self defense. Normally in the realm of pepper spray or some kind of self defense weapon they can easily carry on their person. The server just doesn't provide that right now and items like pocket knives and brass knuckles just get confiscated by police.

38 minutes ago, Juicy said:

It’s definitely not 40-50 every day, it mostly depends on the day. Also, the thing this thread seems to think is that we are some communist shithole like Europe where defending yourself gets you put in prison for murder- that’s not true. I even read about a murder once where a group of gang members tried to do a drive by on another gang member, the gang member pulled out a gun and killed one of the shooters, and he was actually acquitted of his murder charge because of self defense, even with an illegal gun. 

I personally called the coroners for 11 bodies on Sunday while on duty for an 8 hour span. If you count the random corpses laying around too it's probably closer to 80 or 90 on weekend days.

13 minutes ago, Sush said:

I personally called the coroners for 11 bodies on Sunday while on duty for an 8 hour span. If you count the random corpses laying around too it's probably closer to 80 or 90 on weekend days.

Sounds to me like there's a lot of beef going on, maybe if LEO's actually did longform investigation into some of these gangs those numbers would go down.  Those guns are coming from somewhere right? It's annoying to see people complain about IC violence yet refuse to do anything about it IC. Flip a low level gang member and go after the big fish who are actually supplying them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
27 minutes ago, Henning said:

Sounds to me like there's a lot of beef going on, maybe if LEO's actually did longform investigation into some of these gangs those numbers would go down.  Those guns are coming from somewhere right? It's annoying to see people complain about IC violence yet refuse to do anything about it IC. Flip a low level gang member and go after the big fish who are actually supplying them. 

Hey guys put months of investigation into characters with 3 hours on them only to have them namechange when you come down on them. The issue you're referring to is this: People create alts which are already in their main's gang. A member from that gang tells them to 'hold' a pistol or whatever when they've got less than an hour on the server, and that alt takes care of the business and then goes away just as quickly. Besides, most gangs last a couple weeks at most.

I had someone rob my character last week and when they realized the cops were coming down on them as a result they namechanged to add an additional 'e' to their last name, claiming that this made then a new character and not able to prosecuted; despite being literally the same person. End of the day, 80% of the people dying in Davis aren't worth investigating because their existence is indifferent in the long run.

Even if we do arrest these people. They go to jail for what, two days? That is if they don't CK in jail and re-create their character again. It's the same problem the extortion thread has where crimes like this aren't stoppable in the long run because of how easy it is to make a new 'banger alt 9000' and go ham.

Edited by Sush
  • Upvote 4
15 hours ago, Fusco said:

Not to mention that, a good citizen does not learn overnight to use a gun, to aim, and to shoot.

I learned weapons handling at 13.

I learned to shoot assault rifles at around 16.

I also took part in shooting competitions at the same age.

I have a gun in my house at this moment.

I live in the UK.

Bruh.

• Upvote 1

Statistically, one in maybe six cases conclude in actual arrest roleplay. The rest are binned because of ooc reasons like name changes, giving weapons to friends, logging to avoid, changing character mid scene, lying while being asked ooc questions about crime scenes or GSR and many many more reasons. Investigations for LEOs are highly OOC reliant, and unfortunately people like to take advantage of that. Investigations are happening but one tiny hiccup and poof, it's voided. We do our best and those of us who do it enjoy it a lot but people need to realize just how it works on our side. Investigation work is like marmite man.

• Wuhtah locked this topic