Robbery Roleplay

ThomasNoman

33 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

I'm not the only one who's had poor experiences. Nearly every player can tell you. Hell, other robbers can tell you, by the look of the report section - and it's been this way for years when it really hasn't had to be. I struggle to find an example of any robbery that remotely approaches an acceptable RP standard.

I refuse to accept the premise that those who engage in thinly veiled asset grabs are just another side of a nebulous argument. The false juxtaposition of "civvie versus illegal" prevents us from addressing the root issue that the mechanical benefits of a robbery far outweigh the risks and investment. Indiscriminate armed robbery is not a winning business model in real life by any stretch of the imagination, yet it's been made one on GTAW due to the metagame formed around handling of reports.

This is not okay.

This rift is not legal RPers versus illegal RPers, this is RPers versus Metagamers.

Maybe a different sort of metagamer than we're used to talking about, but metagamers nonetheless.

Sorry to hear you've had bad experiences, but those people you're referring to — at least those I've talked to on Discord about this very subject — aren't all against robberies. I've only had my character robbed once and it was an amazing experience. It didn't even involve a gun.

If anything, I can't stand people labelling their characters legal or illegal. That said, you're again just strengthening my point that you're generalizing all robbers to be bad, and that's just bound you prevent you from having any positive experiences in robberies on its own.

In regards to your points about the metagame, I get what you're referring to on a larger scale. You're talking about playing a fixed way to get to the end point and rewards rather than creating an interesting story for both sides involved. You won't find me siding with people that do that — albeit I may have a different opinion on how to deal with them than you do — but you won't find me siding with your blatant generalization either. That kind of assuming and labelling lead to mistrust that ruins RP communities.

Edited by yerro
10 hours ago, DLimit said:

Most drug dealers are broke, though. Only the first-hand narcotics dealers and OGs make most of the wealth in the real world. Narcotics distribution is rarely profitable for people that are simply selling dime-bags out in the street.

That is not true, of course the big money is to be made at those levels of crime you mentioned but even if you sell dime-bags out in the street you'd rack in money, how it is portrayed on this server is not up to realism. 

14 hours ago, Jennie said:

*Robber is a well trained guy, he holds the gun like John Wick does, he is fearless, best of the best, undefeated*

4 minutes later:

The victim is shot, Robber doesn't give a fuck about psychic problems or going to jail.

Every robber I ever encountered they were John Wicks serial killer version

Yep, that's exactly the issue. Everyone is an expert at robbing others. They have no feelings, no emotions. They just want to take what's yours, feel a little bit of adrenaline and run off uncaught.

I would love to see a robbery where the robber starts feeling bad for the victim, showing actual regret for committing a crime and harming an innocent civilian and ends up dropping it and leaving the victim alive and well. All for the sake of character development.

Edited by Shaderz

I mean I don't get the point of discussing cases that are clearly reportable /as is/, when we're trying to address the bigger issues of how robberies go (where they take place and if there need to be any rule amendments to public robberies).

Not to mention there's a lot of concepts that feel really pressuring to RP, from racing to robbing — you're just likely to have people assume things about you and your roleplay long before they get a chance to see your roleplay in full. But oh well.

3 hours ago, Sammux said:

I was in a situation similar to Frogy's, where a couple of robbers pulled up on my character one one of the streets connecting Spanish Ave. with Hawick Ave. in broad daylight. Alright, they parked up on the sidewalk to block my character and then hopped out to rob her at gunpoint. 

My character responded to the threat by freezing up completely due to a previous traumatic experience and started to hyperventilate. My character was unresponsive, and they just shoved her into the car (Fine by me). They drove her around to the LS hills, whilst checking her body, taking what little money there was to take and the phone last, which had a code to it.

One of the robbers took my character out once in the hills, only to beat an unresponsive, non threat for the passcode to a phone, which they later saw contained nothing of interest.

I was at no point stalling, and responded to each of their requests in a timely fashion and I can see why my character's unresponsiveness might make the robbers believe that I'm just trying to stall without prior knowledge, but when non-threatening and clearly unresponsive people get beaten for the hell of it, I think it goes beyond just robbing.

A regular robbery would get you plenty of charges, but toss in some more for an uneccesary beating, and a life sentence for a murder that would've wholly uncalled for, I do trully believe that some form of fear RP should be imposed on illegal roleplayers too.

In the worst case, muggers, or robbers are caught during the act, but besides that, what other risk do you run when your face is covered, and any distinctive marks are covered, a slight eastern european accent slipping through, which could point the cops nowhere due to the abundance of characters hailing from a similar region with a similar accent?

I want to say that I'm actually a fan of losing, I find it fun, because it leads to interesting character development, and honestly, a couple hundred bucks and a phone should really mean absolutely nothing in an OOC level for everyone.

It just irks me a bit that robbers would rather risk life in prison over a phone and some money. You don't have to win every robbery, and not every robbery has to end with the civilian getting away, it can be much more fun to lose than win, and can help further a character so much more than constant Ws.

What I want to say is that an unresponsive, or uncooperative target should not warrant an instant harsh beating, as it only increases the risk on your character. Am I saying we should make it against the rules? Hell no, some robberies are about sending a message, others just RP very harsh characters or that actively disregard safety or their and others' lives, and in that case, do your thing. But when your character doesn't fit, just don't do it. If your life is in danger as a robber, e.g your target could overpower you, or they have a gun showing or that you know about and they show intent of using it if it meant they get away, by all means protect your life, but when it's not warranted it just shouldn't happen. (sorry for the wall of text)

tl;dr robberies shouldn't always warrant a brutal beating, or shots being fired, if the case warrants it, take an L by bouncing from the scene, or as a civilian, just value your character's life more than their possesions, unless the case calls for it on both sides.

This is eerily similar to my third day on the server. Same beat, even up to the hills and being beat for it. 

Either way, I'd love to be involved in more robberies if the people role-playing robbing me were more aware of the area and context around them. Criminals will always go to jail because of a fuck up, not everyone here can be the next Pablo Escobar of street-level robbing. 

A lot of instances people are using here are completely reportable. There's people that perform retarded robberies, sure, but they're reportable. If someone pulls up in an expensive vehicle to rob you, that's reportable. People are actively ajailed over that.

There are people who perform brazen robberies with little development behind it, like immediately knowing how to perform a successful robbery without showing little to any emotion whatsoever for instance. Totally agree, but that can be applied to anything. Everyone knows how to shoot a gun straight off the bat without having to practice. There's people who make characters, buy a fast car, then immediately become drag racers with insane technique out of the blue. Should people put more development and depth into robberies, sure, but expecting EVERYBODY to have some deep background behind robbing someone for $150 and a cellphone is insane to me.

If a "robber" gets caught by authorities, he gets hours upon hours in jail. If he's killed, it's a PK. If people think that the player should be CK'd, I totally agree. There should be some fear on both sides, but there's a limit to it. The robber's worried about the authorities or bystanders in the commission of the robbery. The victim is worried about his LIFE. He has a gun or knife to his person, which more than not transpired within seconds, and being told to either empty his pockets or more than not get against the wall or he'd be murdered. Two different things to worry about with two different limits to them. They're incomparable. 

Too many people are expecting the furthest of the furthest standards for robbing imo. If we're talking robberies in high end neighborhoods, and using Los Angeles as a prime example; high-end neighborhoods are the hub of house invasions. Crime isn't non-existent for the rich and the fortunate, if anything they're more of a target. The suburbs are literally 20-30 minutes away from South Central in LA. On LS, ride the bridge from Jamestown to El Burro Heights and hit a left, you're in Mirror Park. Take the street behind Forum through the tunnels and you're in Legion.

If we applied the standards everyone is applying to robberies to everything else in the server, there'd literally be hell on Forums and InGame. People would rather die than hand over their cheap ass Nokia or licensed pistol. People would rather murder a police officer in cold blood over getting a speeding ticket. This isn't just a "robbery" problem. It's tunneled through a bunch of other shit that's wrong with a lot of players in the server.

Edited by varrio bangin
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, stijn said:

That is not true, of course the big money is to be made at those levels of crime you mentioned but even if you sell dime-bags out in the street you'd rack in money, how it is portrayed on this server is not up to realism. 

Not at all, you're usually purchasing ounces at lower prices and then re-selling it  to make around a hundred dollars. It's not as profitable as one can imagine. Then again, an hour of minimum-wage labour is the equivalent to a gram of marijuana, at times. However, if you sell that Half-O in a day, then you'd be earning the same amount of wealth as a person that laboured an 8-10 hour shift.

EDIT: That's IF you're selling it by the DIME as the price of marijuana decreases depending on the weight.

Most dime-bag dealers start off with selling half-ounces, which earns them around thirty to sixty dollars.

You'd need to be pushing kilos to actually live luxurious. That's earning around $1000-$2000 dollars per kilo, depending on whether you sell it in bulk or just as dime bags. It also depends on whether you're "pinching" people's weed. Usually, that'd be sold in a day, which is a lot of money when compared to a minimum wage labourer, who'd earn $100-$150 a day. A lot of dime-bag emcees actually lease or rent out vehicles and purchase fake jewelry and counterfeit money to deceive the public into believing that they're rich. In realty? Most of them are in debt to credit card companies. Otherwise, they wouldn't be living in the projects. Real life.

Edited by DLimit