Lock Forum Reports Immediately After They Are Posted

QuadTurboW16

On 11/6/2020 at 7:00 AM, MrsHamster said:

I disagree. Usually it helps reading the different points of view, even if they do spread across two pages. This way people explain the situation and reasoning behind their actions in more detail and save us the time to ask for minor clarifications. Asking questions sometimes takes more time than just reading through the comments. 

I think the staff team is doing a good job at seeing when the information stops being useful and turns into a useless back and forth fighting, locking the topic on time. 

This is exactly what people get warned about and told to refrain from arguing back and forth in reports though. Now you're encouraging two pages of back and forth points of view? I don't really understand that at all.

Honestly there should be a compromise. There should be a rule that is followed and enforced as such:

• The original poster gets one post (Original report)
  • The reported party gets one rebuttal.
  • Only witnesses officially listed in the report get one post to verify / not verify OP's claims.

Same as in a court case, basically. Keep the thread unlocked. The original poster can edit the main post to add any additional notes and format as such. The reported party has a chance to plead their case in one, concise post. Once an Administrator picks up the report, that is when things can be clarified as per Admin questions. If people break the rule of one post each, no matter the reason, it should be punished accordingly.

Edited by Juicebox
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Juicebox said:

Now you're encouraging two pages of back and forth points of view?

I don't encourage back and forth spamming, I said there is a difference between having two pages of useful information and two pages of "You MG'd, no I didn't MG, you MG'd". 

Editing the posts is not an option. People can change their answer and later say " I didn't say that" and we do not need this hassle. 

Also, limiting people to only one post limits their ability to explain themselves properly and add more information in response to the other side's accusations. 

Currently, we have a really active support team that does a great job in seeing when information stops being useful and turns into spam and locks them on time. I don't think there is a need to fix something that isn't broken. Note that none of the admins that posted here agreed to the suggestion - and we're the ones who handle the reports. 

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, MrsHamster said:

Editing the posts is not an option. People can change their answer and later say " I didn't say that" and we do not need this hassle.

Can they not edit their posts now? I believe they can. So this is a non-issue.

41 minutes ago, MrsHamster said:

Also, limiting people to only one post limits their ability to explain themselves properly and add more information in response to the other side's accusations.

No it doesn't. You quote the initial report piece by piece and explain the side of your story in one post. It's not rocket science. The reporting party made the original post with evidence, correct? There's no need for more than one response from each party to the original poster's report before an Admin takes the report.

See PERFECT example below: One post by reporter, reported and witness.

This is all that's needed before an Admin picks up a report to ask questions. Any more than that is unnecessary.

See AWFUL example below: 19 posts over 2 pages that resulted in the report being locked since October 13th:

2 pages and 19 responses. Whether or not support is now more active than a month ago, this still happens and creates more work for you. You can't honestly tell me that the current system (3 pages) of reports not even in pending status is actually working efficiently. That's not a dig at Support and Admins, so don't misunderstand me. The system needs tweaking. Concise and condensed reports would make it a lot easier for an Admin to digest the information and then act accordingly rather than try to catch up on 2+ pages of long, drawn out posts which can go well over 10+ responses by the second page. How is that efficient for anyone? Easy answer. It's not. @MrsHamster

Edited by Juicebox

If even admins said that they have no problem with it at times, if it's at least moderately kept on track, why are we trying to change their minds when they themselves have to deal with the reports, and is thus a problem that they can deal with when it grows out of hand?

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic