Why are Copy-Paste characters allowed?

Marksman

It's no secret that there are a lot of characters on GTA:W that are nothing more than a copy and paste of both name and personality from previous communities. Even as far as doing the exact same roleplay as before. My question is, why is this deemed acceptable? For a server that is supposed to promote roleplay of the highest quality and should promote originality and creativity in ones roleplay, it seems this is something that goes on and on and on as more people migrate to GTA:W from other places.

Now some might argue, admins cannot keep track of every single character that is a copy-paste in name and it's even HARDER to keep track of that when it's perhaps a different name but with an identical personality (or something of the sort) but there are multiple high-profile characters from previous servers that seem to get off scott-free for their lack of proper character development.

So what's the deal?

• Applaud 2

If they're role-playing and the role-play is good,  adapted to the server's internal narartive, and doesn't cause dissonance, who gives a shit? Are we meant to possess a universal list of names + usernames + IP's to combat this or something? What constitutes 'famous' here?

Unless somebody strolls in with a character who used to be mayor of Los Santos elsewhere and claims to be the legitimate mayor based on that history, then there's no conflict.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Exploits said:

If they're role-playing and the role-play is good,  adapted to the server's internal narartive, and doesn't cause dissonance, who gives a shit? Are we meant to possess a universal list of names + usernames + IP's to combat this or something? What constitutes 'famous' here?

Unless somebody strolls in with a character who used to be mayor of Los Santos elsewhere and claims to be the legitimate mayor based on that history, then there's no conflict.

It shows a poor concept or originality and creativity, something that is crucial in a roleplay environment. If you lack the brainpower to create something original with your character, and instead resort to reusing the same name and character as before then why even play? Not once did I say famous, but instead high-profile. This can either be from an IC or OOC standpoint from the community in which the character deviates from. 

This may just be my opinion and my experience, but players who stick to the same character over servers tend to just be portraying themselves instead of portraying a character. Never doing something different or something new, always doing the same thing because that's them.

9 minutes ago, Marksman said:

t shows a poor concept or originality and creativity, something that is crucial in a roleplay environment

New =/= original.

Famous or high-profile by the opinion of who? Again, you can't really define this. If I came in with the name Santino Valenti, a not-insignificant number of players here would recoil immediately, but there remains a sizeable number of players who have no association with such a name and would simply role-play in stride. Ultimately this 'issue' is only dictated by very personal experiences and histories and otherwise does not impact the server at all.

It's also far from impossible for somebody to come up with a name and character they believe to be wholly original, only to discover that it's a concept and name which has been done before somewhere. If we expand the scope wide enough, then there are no real original ideas here, only good execution.

Edited by Exploits
  • Upvote 1

If they're coming from other communities using questionably RP'd characters and the trend continues here that's more a problem with their RP, not using the same name/character.

As long as they're not causing harm who gives a shit.

9 minutes ago, Declan said:

i dont understand why people use the same name from different communities, what do u gain from it? a pm saying "oh hi i recognise u from xxx!"?

it shouldnt be allowed. its lazy and its weird

It's a name bro.

1 minute ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

If they're coming from other communities using questionably RP'd characters and the trend continues here that's more a problem with their RP, not using the same name/character.

As long as they're not causing harm who gives a shit.

It's a name bro.

if they cant take 10 mins to think of a name what makes u think they can develop a character decently 

Because the bypass is incredibly easy. Just change the name and RP the same thing! Investigation of such things takes a lot of time.

Perhaps you should focus on being ingame and actively roleplaying. Leave administration to worry about roleplay quality. If it's egregious to the point you can't ignore it;

• Upvote 4
  • Applaud 1