Characters that call 911 when suiciding

Zani

Like people stated above - if you call 911 - that's a cry for help. If it evolves into a decent scenario where a negotiator or any cop walks over and attempts to talk your character out of the situation - that is completely fine by me because there's roleplay, there's interaction and there is possibly even fun from the roleplaying in the scenario. You might benefit from it and have reasons to continue your character and the legal roleplayers who were involved will feel good for helping.

It's a matter of not being a cunt, that's what this is. I can think of two cases where character suicide can be considered:

To make it OOC and IC correct, think of it like this:

Example: You wanna suicide for OOC reasons, you're bored of the character and just wanna name change:

Solution: Just do it and do not bother calling 911 for attention if you know for a fact your character will do it.

Example: Your character has been in some shit lately and they're on the edge of commiting suicide but you do not really wanna lose the character, or it's a suicide motivated by solely IN CHARACTER ACTIONS:

Solution: You might as well call 911 or have someone call 911 for you and get fellow roleplayers to help your character out during the hard times. This is what people do IRL as a last resort and a cry for help.

May I also suggest that we make this fall under the offensive RP rules. If the legal roleplayers do not want to participate in this kind of roleplay, don't make them go through it. Like I mentioned below, this is too intense to handle for some of us and this is just a game.

When you call and just jump in front of a crowd it's a whole different story, it's unrealistic and as people mentioned - disrespectful. If you're on the edge of commiting suicide, the last thing you would want is attention from people around you.

Now... I can not speak for every suicidal person out there nor do I want to discuss this topic thoroughly because this is not what this is about, but I have to point out that in case of most suicide attempts there is no such thing happening. People who are willing to take their own lives away usually do not want to bring other people down with them, unless they're seriously mentally unstable and they wanna make some kinda weird statement with their death which even then is a RARE THING. If you are thinking of roleplaying something like this, my suggestion is DON'T because to be fair, and put in simple words: it is too much shit to handle for some of us. I also do not approve of people roleplaying mental disorders or bad mental health this way just to get attention or send a message, because in most cases this is not what this is about and it's borderline offensive.

Be considerate of other people, sure this server is realistic but this is still a video game and we do not want to end our roleplay session traumatized and depressed.

On 10/8/2020 at 3:24 PM, Saccs said:

It’s just an OOC way to grab attention to your character,

You raise a good point. This addresses a more fundamental issue though.  There needs to be more options of initiating roleplay. People get bored and then do things like that.

Most people who want to commit suicide don't actually want to die. Most popular method for males is hanging, for females it's overdosis. Those who do want do die really don't call for help and if they get caught attempting they'll try again a few days after until they succeed. 

I think the problem here is people want to go out noticed when they want to ck. So the reasoning usually isn't ic motivated, but ooc and that's where it probably triggers most of us to go such scene. Because irl you have a chance of talking someone out of a situation. Here you don't because their ooc mind of cking and starting a new story is made up. 

Edit: Those methods are the most popular in the NL btw, I know Murica has guns, so I assume thats the most popular method there.

Edited by goddessoflife

I can tell you as a real-world police officer (in the UK, but a police officer nonetheless), that a majority of the jobs I deal with these days are mental health related, and these are usually threats of suicide/self-harm where the victim has called the emergency line his/herself. 

If people are going to roleplay suicidal, do it properly. With how tragically common it is, you owe it to the victims of it and the friends and family of those lost to it. Same goes for ANY condition, especially mental ones, I see people who roleplay things such as paranoid schizophrenia and simply use it as a "uno reverse card" in player reports, to justify their death match mentality or similar things to it. 

Edited by Свето
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...