Characters that call 911 when suiciding

Zani

Hello everyone,

Being in the LSPD for a long time, I’ve come through numerous characters who call 911 to state that they ‘are about to jump’. Whether it be because life gets too hard or for whatever other reason, it leaves many of us scratching our heads at why people are calling 911 for this. As far as I know, unfortunately, people don’t really want to cause drama if they go through something like that. It’s usually a friend or family that calls the police for help. I’d say around 95 percent of situations where a character in game calls the police stating they’d end their life, they’re dead set on it. 

For people who do this, I must say that this sort of roleplay doesn’t benefit anyone and it doesn’t bring any valuable RP experiences to anyone. It’s just an OOC way to grab attention to your character, in my opinion. People that really call 911 for something like this means that they’re in need of someone to talk to and want someone to listen to them to change their mind, not the opposite way.

What are your opinions?

• Upvote 4
6 minutes ago, Saccs said:

Hello everyone,

Being in the LSPD for a long time, I’ve come through numerous characters who call 911 to state that they ‘are about to jump’. Whether it be because life gets too hard or for whatever other reason, it leaves many of us scratching our heads at why people are calling 911 for this. As far as I know, unfortunately, people don’t really want to cause drama if they go through something like that. It’s usually a friend or family that calls the police for help. I’d say around 95 percent of situations where a character in game calls the police stating they’d end their life, they’re dead set on it. 

For people who do this, I must say that this sort of roleplay doesn’t benefit anyone and it doesn’t bring any valuable RP experiences to anyone. It’s just an OOC way to grab attention to your character, in my opinion. People that really call 911 for something like this means that they’re in need of someone to talk to and want someone to listen to them to change their mind, not the opposite way.

What are your opinions?

While I am not  sure about this, my guess would be, that in real life just things happen, cause they want help, but don't know how to ask for it, so they do the easiest, call 911. Or they want to be witnessed, who knows. In the game however, it's most likely unnecessary drama, while some instances may be genuine, majority are not.

FD here, suicide calls are the absolute worse.

Sure we get to bring out the old ladder truck and do some fancy rope jumps, but you know what we have to do before that? Wait.

Wait for someone, somehow, to either be convinced he doesnt wanna go down, canceling our need to be there, or for PD to brute force us and have our guys move in to recover, which can take HOURS.

Beyond the mental fatigue of waiting for nothing to happen, it’s just awful roleplay in general for you to call 911, claim you want to end your life, then jump when you have tons of people watching.

Great, you just scarred twenty first responders for life, and your character ends their life in a melodramatic fashion.

And why is it ALWAYS a jump? Why not an OD suicide? Or any other type?

My issue is not with suicide attempts, I’m entirely against really crappy ones. It’s disrespectful, lazy, boring, and frankly a pain in the B-hind to show up to somebody who called in their own suicide because they want their character to have a crowd.

Now don’t get me wrong, when friends call it in, its a worry! There’s some story behind it, time constraint and a need to find this person and help them. But when you call it in yourself, why? Why would you do that? Why would your character make people watch? Are they a sociopath who enjoys placing pain to others? Are they protesting an injustice to the system by reporting this to the 911 system?

It’s just frustrating and wastes our time 9/10 times. If your character is going down a dark path, do us all a favor and put some effort into it. Lazy melodramatic 911 calls kills the mood and ties up valuable resources for a three hour waitathon.

Edited by KinnyWynny
45 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

FD here, suicide calls are the absolute worse.

Sure we get to bring out the old ladder truck and do some fancy rope jumps, but you know what we have to do before that? Wait.

Wait for someone, somehow, to either be convinced he doesnt wanna go down, canceling our need to be there, or for PD to brute force us and have our guys move in to recover, which can take HOURS.

Beyond the mental fatigue of waiting for nothing to happen, it’s just awful roleplay in general for you to call 911, claim you want to end your life, then jump when you have tons of people watching.

Great, you just scarred twenty first responders for life, and your character ends their life in a melodramatic fashion.

And why is it ALWAYS a jump? Why not an OD suicide? Or any other type?

My issue is not with suicide attempts, I’m entirely against really crappy ones. It’s disrespectful, lazy, boring, and frankly a pain in the B-hind to show up to somebody who called in their own suicide because they want their character to have a crowd.

Now don’t get me wrong, when friends call it in, its a worry! There’s some story behind it, time constraint and a need to find this person and help them. But when you call it in yourself, why? Why would you do that? Why would your character make people watch? Are they a sociopath who enjoys placing pain to others? Are they protesting an injustice to the system by reporting this to the 911 system?

It’s just frustrating and wastes our time 9/10 times. If your character is going down a dark path, do us all a favor and put some effort into it. Lazy melodramatic 911 calls kills the mood and ties up valuable resources for a three hour waitathon.

Agreed. Calling family members or leaving a suicide note would be more realistic.

Suicide RP should fall under offensive server rules.

While a player should be allowed to kill their character in order to make a new one, bringing other players into such RP without consent is frankly shocking and displays a complete lack of emotional understanding of just what it is to go through the aftermath of such an event.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

This should be against the rules, or at the very least be regulated more strictly.

Suicide should not be a call for attention, rather a cry for help, however, this is not what tends to happen on here, usually because players already have their mind set on what they want for their characters, so trying to talk them off the ledge becomes useless and pointless, especially when the emotions and feelings of these characters are barely portrayed in a realistic fashion.

Calling 911 to tell them you are about to jump off also makes it unfair for the authorities to retaliate, usually because in real life, you're expected to have a dispatcher on the other end immediately trying to help you while also stalling your actions so cops, firefighters and paramedics have enough time to arrive on scene before you do anything, rather than an automated script that tells you they are on their way and then hangs up. You may argue they can call you back, but it's still not the same considering every second in a suicide situation is crucial.

Edited by Shaderz
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Shaderz said:

This should be against the rules, or at the very least be regulated more strictly.

Suicide should not be a call for attention, rather than a cry for help, however, this is not what tends to happen on here, usually because players already have their mind set on what they want for their characters, so trying to talk them off the ledge becomes useless and pointless, especially when the emotions and feelings of these characters are barely portrayed in a realistic fashion.

Calling 911 to tell them you are about to jump off also makes it unfair for the authorities to retaliate, usually because in real life, you're expected to have a dispatcher on the other end immediately trying to help you while also stalling your actions so , rather than an automated script that tells you PD/SD and FD are on their way. You may argue they can call you back, but it's still not the same considering every second in a suicide situation is crucial.

Pin this,

9/10 times it someone who already made the decision to CK their character before making the call. I feel so bad for the Crisis Negotiation team that is called to try and talk them out of it because it'll always just turn into them jumping anyway, no matter how good at talking they are.

• Upvote 1

Characters that are attempting to suicide and call up 9-1-1 beforehand is simply stupid, why would you do that? There's no realism in that aspect whatso ever, you wouldn't be standing on the edge of a bridge and be like, oh before I jump I'm going to call the local authorities. This should be something that should be frowned upon.