The problem with gang roleplayers in rich areas

VikoMKD

Here’s an idea. Instead of roleplaying a college age lesbian with cat ears and thigh highs driving in a Lamborghini or a kawaii, you do something different. Roleplay a local in a gang neighborhood, there’s gangs in Vespucci, K Town, even Paleto Bay. Get to know the gang members, make a character with actual struggles in life, supporting a kid as a single parent, not being able to pay rent, or just a small time business owner who immigrated from another country. Then I promise your opinions of gang rp will change when you see the community aspect of it all. I’m sure some gang roleplayers would even let you RP being their mom or dad.

Edited by Juicy
4 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Here’s an idea. Instead of roleplaying a college age lesbian with cat ears and thigh highs driving in a Lamborghini or a kawaii, you do something different. Roleplay a local in a gang neighborhood, there’s gangs in Vespucci, K Town, even Paleto Bay. Get to know the gang members, make a character with actual struggles in life, supporting a kid as a single parent, not being able to pay rent, or just a small time business owner who immigrated from another country. Then I promise your opinions of gang rp will change when you see the community aspect of it all. 

Ew gang roleplay is lame, just a bunch of wannabe e-gangsters. I'd rather be a 6'4 lesbian who's ex-military that happens to have a firearm license. Oh and don't even think about trying to engage into a fight with me! I'll pull out my old trusty /do Ex Military, you can't do that.

Edited by MCB666
1 hour ago, Ears Up said:

Both Venice & Santa Monica are packed with gangs though bro.

There are 'gangs' is not an excuse for poor RP of gang culture.

Unlike some illegal RPers on our server, real life gangs in Santa Monica actually know how to be gangsters and they don't run around stabbing / killing people. Despite what the people here think, most crime is theft and unarmed assault.

Despite having a daily population more than 300x our server, there hasn't been a murder in Santa Monica in a year.

So if you want to use "there are gangs in Santa Monica" as a way to justify them existing in game, perhaps you should be consistent and RP the gangs more realistically too?

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Ears Up said:

Just because an area has tourist spots doesn't mean it can't be dangerous. It's not really unrealistic to act like Vespucci is Davis just because it's on the West side of the map. Several parts of Vespucci are packed with gangs IC and should be treated as such, if you go around ANY gang's territory and start shit, something's gonna happen to you.

The majority of this thread in my opinion is just people upset that they got robbed/shot by the gangs in Vespucci, in reality that's an IC issue though. If you get robbed by the gangs, put pressure on people who can help fix it IC. Or better yet, do what anyone would do and move out of the bad part of Vespucci.

Tourists spots and many other things I listed like a PD station and fire Marshalls station that should realistically be making someone think twice before shooting someone because "they didn't show respect" dont think some of the people here have ever been to Venice beach and realise how populated it is especially during the daytime, go to Venice beach and try shooting someone in Broad daylight and see how long it takes to get arrested. Yes there's gangs but at most the crime goes to theft and robbery. Not shootings on the daily because some guy talked down to a gang member at a skate park due to how unbelievably risky that would be. I would argue it is unrealistic to act like Vespucci is Davis, they are two entirely different areas due to the things I listed in my original comment. The murder rate at Venice is entirety different to south central L.A. So yes the way certain people are treating Vespucci is entirely unrealistic. I do want to point out though by no means am I arguing civilians shouldnt fear the gangs in the area just because its a bit more fancier it would just be nice if gangs started reacting to their surroundings and not just using the excuse "there's gangs here irl so I can just shoot the place up". 

7 minutes ago, Marksman said:

lmao why do y'all always assume someones targeting you because you caught them fucking?

nah im targeting you because you did the exact shit youre telling me to report players for.

I can't tell if your trolling or serious. If you do wanna tell me what I'm doing wrong I'm happy to discuss that in private messages with you. No harsh feelings.

Just now, Ezrya said:

Tourists spots and many other things I listed like a PD station and fire Marshalls station that should realistically be making someone think twice before shooting someone because "they didn't show respect" dont think some of the people here have ever been to Venice beach and realise how populated it is especially during the daytime, go to Venice beach and try shooting someone in Broad daylight and see how long it takes to get arrested. Yes there's gangs but at most the crime goes to theft and robbery. Not shootings on the daily because some guy talked down to a gang member at a skate park due to how unbelievably risky that would be. I would argue it is unrealistic to act like Vespucci is Davis, they are two entirely different areas due to the things I listed in my original comment. The murder rate at Venice is entirety different to south central L.A. So yes the way certain people are treating Vespucci is entirely unrealistic. I do want to point out though by no means am I arguing civilians shouldnt fear the gangs in the area just because its a bit more fancier it would just be nice if gangs started reacting to their surroundings and not just using the excuse "there's gangs here irl so I can just shoot the place up". 

I don't know if you know but most of the time murders in vespucci are actually gang members killing each other or robberies where people can't roleplay fear and get shot for it.

8 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Here’s an idea. Instead of roleplaying a college age lesbian with cat ears and thigh highs driving in a Lamborghini or a kawaii, you do something different. Roleplay a local in a gang neighborhood, there’s gangs in Vespucci, K Town, even Paleto Bay.

Can I choose a third option? Neither of those two appeal to me.

1 minute ago, MCB666 said:

I can't tell if your trolling or serious. If you do wanna tell me what I'm doing wrong I'm happy to discuss that in private messages with you. No harsh feelings.

I'm deadass.

I said people are robbing civvies right next to main roads. I was referring to you. You then told me to report those people.

I laughed.

2 minutes ago, Marksman said:

I'm deadass.

I said people are robbing civvies right next to main roads. I was referring to you. You then told me to report those people.

I laughed.

Name one civilian I robbed on a main road.....on second thought isn't everybody a civilian? that doesn't make any sense.

I'll admit though I have robbed some people in Vespucci on a character but that literally wasn't on a Main road.

Edited by MCB666