Active Roleplay Timer for Jobs

malutukilo

Hello everyone.

Upon discussing with some people of the community, I found that this is a common complaint for people.

When working roleplay jobs, as we all know, you have to be either;

• Actively putting /mes out every minute, or,
  • Actively typing something out every minute in IC chat,

so that the one minute timer doesn't stop counting.

These are the rules regarding active roleplay shifts as far as I'm aware. These two rules create some problems for the people working non-script jobs such as;

• Having to put out /mes that either make no sense or written for the sole purpose of keeping the timer active.
  • People spending several hours on job, only getting paid for that 1 hour of active roleplay during worktimes because customers were scarce.
  • Thus turning the roleplay jobs into something of unrewarding, tedious processes.

A rebuttal you may come up with to those complaints and problems;

• Roleplay jobs should not be for the sake of money, but roleplay.
  • You shouldn't be getting paid for standing around anyways.

I understand these come-backs. But let's look at the real-life counterparts of "roleplay jobs" and answers to those rebuttals;

• Even if you're roleplaying the job, for the sake of roleplay and not money, this doesn't mean it's supposed to be something you should spend your whole day for some RP possibilites and get rewarded for a small portion of the day. Promoting roleplay should be number one priority, that should come with rewards.
  • If you were wroking a retail job, a kitchen job, a tattoo artist etc., you wouldn't get paid for 1 hour of work for your interaction with customers, but your time spent there. 

Now then, what could be done regarding this, without promoting idling after you /startshift? Maybe;

• Rework the timer system so that the timer doesn't stop for several minutes after you put out a /me, maybe 5-10 minutes.
  • Decrease the time required for active roleplay timer wage.
  • Let the /me or actively typing IC increase the time spent by longer intervals. Example: Each /me counts as 5~ minutes going towards your active roleplay timer.

Considering how some script jobs such as Garbage Man pay 3.1K for ~20 minutes of no roleplay, I believe actively roleplaying for 60 mins straight without missing a beat should either be made easier or more rewarding.

Thank you for taking your time to read and your in-advance constructrive criticism or ideas of your own. Excuse me for providing wrong information if I have any regarding the rules.

Edited by malutukilo
  • Upvote 14
  • Applaud 2

It's a common issue people encounter nowadays, I agree.

I think the system should be fixed. As a business manager it's hard to find people who want to work, because the system is so broken. I've had employees who received 4 grand for 3 hours of work. That's ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely agree. This is also something that impacts detailed roleplayers. You can post 2-3 250 character emotes that ecompass the entire transaction and you're still worse off than writing one-liners, since the minute ticks down from the last one and you're forced to simply spam pointless stuff in the chat so you get it moving. Imagine working at a grocery down in Grapeseed at any time other than peak. ICly, you get paid for being there and manning the register, not by how many boxes you pointlessly move. Your character might need the money or might not be able to get somewhere, doesn't mean you should be locked into roleplaying with yourself every single minute.

• Upvote 1

Sorry but I cannot agree to this at all.

This entire post is written from the mentality that you insist on being rewarded for roleplaying a scripted job. You are already being very generously rewarded, but the fact that you insist on being rewarded even more just shows you're in it for the money rather than for the roleplay. Why is this reward so important to you? The reward is roleplaying with your friends and other characters. If there's no customers, then go out there and create something that will attract people. If you don't want to spend time idling in an empty shop, then don't and find something more fun to do. If you're not in it for the money, this should't be an issue.

All the solutions proposed by you increase the rewards for less interaction. This is the opposite of what should be rewarded.

1 hour ago, mj2002 said:

Sorry but I cannot agree to this at all.

This entire post is written from the mentality that you insist on being rewarded for roleplaying a scripted job. You are already being very generously rewarded, but the fact that you insist on being rewarded even more just shows you're in it for the money rather than for the roleplay. Why is this reward so important to you? The reward is roleplaying with your friends and other characters. If there's no customers, then go out there and create something that will attract people. If you don't want to spend time idling in an empty shop, then don't and find something more fun to do. If you're not in it for the money, this should't be an issue.

All the solutions proposed by you increase the rewards for less interaction. This is the opposite of what should be rewarded.

Not, really. You are just looking at the suggestion with negative POV.

Edit : If people really want to grind money? They can just be garbage / trucking dudes and earn 10k an hour. The people who work in stores are trying to provide us some roleplay. The 1 minute rp timer shit is bs. It should be at least 10 minutes or so.

Supporting this.

Edited by Zayyy
  • Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic