Revamping Arrests - Points based system

3 minutes ago, Tseard said:

Is this not something that should be handled by the individual himself? If people fail to properly roleplay and constantly harass LEO's, should it not be up to the administrators to step in? 

/thread

This is something that could be easily solved by reporting those players who have an unrealistic amount of prior charges on their record, since it falls in line with poor character portrayal.  I don't believe it is up to LEOs / JSA to police the PLAYERS and restrict them from roleplaying their character, forcing them to roleplay a lifer in prison or life with parole, thinking that'd lead to more roleplay in prsion, when in reality, as soon as those characters get into jail, they'll either namechange or create a new one , or worst case scenario, this will just create more suicide-by-cops situations.

Edited by Sergi
34 minutes ago, Syrike said:

So far it hasn't done anything like that, all it has done is put an actual end at the end of the tunnel for that character. There's nothing stopping people from namechanging once that story ends so they can begin another. As for losing a character with 200-300 hours played I lost a character myself before I joined the staff team, he killed a man and had a mark put on him (I feel like I need to put here that he didn't know about it), it shook him up afterwards and he began to notice things that were out of place, people he'd see around who shouldn't be there, this resulted in him leaving LS entirely. Now this isn't a CK but it was the logical end to that character as doing anything other than having him freak out and run or get killed wouldn't have made sense. It's the same with people who have a wrap sheet a mile long, stop looking at it like it's the end, it's not, it's just the beginning of a new story.   (Im typing from my phone, please forgive any typos.)

don't you think there's a great difference between coming to terms with the end of your character and settling on a new one, when you are ready to do so, as opposed to others telling you, that your character is done or unrealistic? to me, this whole system looks like a similar concept that was once utilized to de-script entire factions, albeit on an individual level. it just seems driven by a misguided ooc agenda of fighting off crime, when in reality it should be promoted (at least imo). 

and for the most part, i just don't see the need to increase punishment on players that dedicate their time to roleplaying career criminals. they already get mandatory, hefty fines and are confined to jail roleplay for (imo) mindbogglingly long terms. adding to that, that being a criminal isn't even lucrative or remotely easy money, compared to the legal job opportunities and scripted jobs - i'm starting to ask myself why anyone would commit to the illegal side.

instead of this point system, i'd rather continue as is, let career criminal roleplayers be and deal with extremely unrealistic portrayals via admin intervention.

also, everyone in favor of this implementation is touting more realism, which sure enough, it is more realistic, but I have serious doubts that those people are in touch with the majority of players, who engage(d) in illegal roleplay, and probably don't frequent these type of discussions as much. everyone with the "don't do the crime, if you can't do the time" mentality, you guys gotta get past that 10 y/o GTA roleplay argument - or at the very least, lose some of that bias directed at illegal roleplayers and apply your high standard to every player across the board. might as well enforce roleplaying injuries for longer duration hospital stays, implement 1-month suspensions for law enforcement roleplayers who were involved in a shooting and so forth. 

This doesn't seem like a worthy addition in my opinion, and you know why? People can just decide to stop committing violent crimes altogether to avoid losing their characters, because at the end of the day it is just a game and people come here to relax after work or school. Criminal roleplay shouldn't be punished. 

Does anyone remember OwlGaming on MTA? Their strictness when it came to roleplay, especially criminal roleplay, killed the server(along with many things, like instant bans and not utilizing ajails etc, however that's not the point).

It's funny when I see someone saying "Oh, so what if you lose a character with many hours? Just start another, lulz". Well, not everyone has 10 hours everyday to dedicate to a video game, and we should keep in mind that a sizable portion of the playerbase consists of such players. I just don't want this server to go down OwlGaming's route, that's all.

This is heavy roleplay server, people are expected to invest some time and efforts into their character and their respective behaviours and actions, This is roleplay, not just a game, you know. This isn't a place where you log in after work for an hour or two, shoot some of your competition being on your turf and go to sleep. No it doesn't work like that. Roleplaying takes time. Considerably big amount of time, because roleplaying means to write a story, your story, in realistic manner, which includes penalties if you are caught doing crimes.

Edited by Engelbert
1 hour ago, LoneRider said:

This doesn't seem like a worthy addition in my opinion, and you know why? People can just decide to stop committing violent crimes altogether to avoid losing their characters, because at the end of the day it is just a game and people come here to relax after work or school. Criminal roleplay shouldn't be punished. 

Does anyone remember OwlGaming on MTA? Their strictness when it came to roleplay, especially criminal roleplay, killed the server(along with many things, like instant bans and not utilizing ajails etc, however that's not the point).

It's funny when I see someone saying "Oh, so what if you lose a character with many hours? Just start another, lulz". Well, not everyone has 10 hours everyday to dedicate to a video game, and we should keep in mind that a sizable portion of the playerbase consists of such players. I just don't want this server to go down OwlGaming's route, that's all.

As someone who played on Owl for 5 years, that had nothing to do with its downfall. You can blame that on Chaos' leadership after Maxime left and the fact the two head admins, ThatGuy and Wright, were literally neo-nazis. That whole UAT leadership contributed to the fall of the server. 

I've been doing police RP on this server for about a month. In that time I've only been in 2 pursuits and 1 shooting. In OwlGaming I easily got into at least 1 pursuit an hour and 1 shooting a day. That's with ~150 players vs the ~450 players we see here per server. 

Owl was extremely lenient with criminal RP. They were however strict about CK if you did something that blatantly disregarded your life (ie: deciding to pull a gun with 20 cops already aiming at you) whereas on this server it takes an act of god to force a CK. 

One problem I think this server has is that its over-policed. Even the littlest calls like a noise complaint will have 3 cars enroute to handle. I have yet to do criminal RP on this server but I imagine its extremely hard to get off the ground with an army of cops constantly patrolling places like Davis and Strawberry. 

7 minutes ago, SugarDavis said:

One problem I think this server has is that its over-policed. Even the littlest calls like a noise complaint will have 3 cars enroute to handle. I have yet to do criminal RP on this server but I imagine its extremely hard to get off the ground with an army of cops constantly patrolling places like Davis and Strawberry. 

i think over-policing is down to a low(er) frequency of crimes taking place and/or 911 calls being made, and not so much the fact that specific areas are patrolled more than others. more often than not an hour +/- will go by until a 911 call or other incident pops up, resulting in a high response, whereas on other communities you could be very selective with what you respond to, knowing full well that the next incident is right around the corner. 

15 minutes ago, SugarDavis said:

Other servers had 911 calls coming in every 10 minutes, this server has times where only one call comes in a hour. If you have a dozen cops online, it's safe to say that they all respond. It shouldn't be happening though because I think it's very unrealistic and overkill to have a dozen units on scene for smaller crimes. This is an issue that should be tackled by the supervisors and the faction's leadership. I know for a fact that we at the LSSD delegate units to calls and ensure that calls like that are not being swarmed by our units. You won't see us turn up in a tactical unit at a noise complaint, house alarm or welfare check. 

Entirely off-topic but I felt the need to clarify this.

Opposition to this update seems to be based on the false notion that jail is an OOC punishment that takes away fun.

Characters in prison enrich criminal roleplay because prison is a big thing in the criminal world IRL (who would have thought). It's not harder to roleplay in jail than anywhere else, and your character can still interact with the world at-large from jail; it's not a gulag, you have visits and phone calls, mails, etc. You can still murder people, deal and do drugs, and do organized crime while incarcerated. It's simply a new scenery for your character.

This update is needed to encourage criminal roleplay that can portray the most basic and obvious consequences to criminal ways of life. Long term jail is a source of character development in that regard.

Edited by arrdef