Minimum age for characters?

Westen

My opinion is that if this is a toggleable cmd i'm okay but I don't want to have more information on my screen than I already have. I personally think the name thing is just to help with OOC information but it also open a small room for metagame. We already have custom faces on our char, I think this name on top of our heads could be something that can be removed one day and we will have a way more cleaner hud when playing, increasing the immersion.

People using their age as a scapegoat hasn't happened to me here yet— the majority of those roleplay youth are enjoyable to roleplay around and portray themself well. I'm always up for giving those who roleplay around their age properly leniency and encourage others to do so too; it makes the roleplay so much more fluid and enjoyable for all those involved rather than going through the awkward process of bringing a teenager who's only crime is running from you all the way to jail just for them to spend 2 hours inside and come back. I'd rather let them roleplay the consequences of being brought back to their parents and go from there.

As others have said, if people do drop "/me is 15" after committing crimes solely to try to get out of it? I treat them as if they're an adult. Your age should remain a consistent trait and not be played as a get out of jail free card.

There's no point restricting a minimum age as this will disrupt the entire ecosystem of gang culture. Let people decide and report those who portray themselves stupidly.

Edited by r0yal
  • Upvote 2

I have no problem with people playing underage characters if they're utilized properly. Do you want to be a look for a gang? No problem. You want to sell some drugs in realistic amounts? No problem. You want to be a petty thief or something like that? Sweet. I love it.

My only problem, and it's already been mentioned is the 16 year old with a house, 3 cars, and goes from hardened killer to "scared 16 year old" in a span of 30 seconds. I've had several occasions where I've actually seen the "scared 16 year" old gunning someone down with a Tec 9 or something similar and then when they get arrested a few minutes later at gun point - 

"/me is a scared 16 year old kid."
and my response to that is always the same.
"/do There is still a gun in your face."

It seems that among a lot of things, details are only conveyed when it's convenient for leniency. And I understand of course that you might not always have time to go through your normal routine, but it's really off putting sometimes when you see that directly after they've committed a violent crime.

Much respect for the ones who are doing it right. The ones who aren't? Take notes.

8 minutes ago, joaoivis said:

My opinion is that if this is a toggleable cmd i'm okay but I don't want to have more information on my screen than I already have. I personally think the name thing is just to help with OOC information but it also open a small room for metagame. We already have custom faces on our char, I think this name on top of our heads could be something that can be removed one day and we will have a way more cleaner hud when playing, increasing the immersion.

Yeah, the toggleable command for titler information would be the best option if it was implemented at all. As for the name's I think those would be hard to get rid of, while I agree that this can be be used for metagaming, I think the more important thing that supersedes the fear of metagaming is knowing who is saying what and emoting what. That would be hard to distinguish without the names.

I have no problem with people playing underage characters if they're utilized properly. Do you want to be a look for a gang? No problem. You want to sell some drugs in realistic amounts? No problem. You want to be a petty thief or something like that? Sweet. I love it.

My only problem, and it's already been mentioned is the 16 year old with a house, 3 cars, and goes from hardened killer to "scared 16 year old" in a span of 30 seconds. I've had several occasions where I've actually seen the "scared 16 year" old gunning someone down with a Tec 9 or something similar and then when they get arrested a few minutes later at gun point - 

"/me is a scared 16 year old kid."
and my response to that is always the same.
"/do There is still a gun in your face."

It seems that among a lot of things, details are only conveyed when it's convenient for leniency. And I understand of course that you might not always have time to go through your normal routine, but it's really off putting sometimes when you see that directly after they've committed a violent crime.

Much respect for the ones who are doing it right. The ones who aren't? Take notes.

Haha, and I'd hope that people that roleplay this way realize that cops in real life aren't going to stop pointing their gun at a kid who was witnessed firing a weapon, just because they're a kid. These people want to go home to their family just as much as the next guy, and the threat of danger is just as real from a kid with a firearm as it is coming from an adult. 

Edited by Wes4mu089
3 hours ago, joshua said:

cde.jpg.96538bacf31ab3747a8affccf3835052.jpg

could have a restriction creating younger characters through some form of request, so it can be ensured the player is actually a decent roleplayer and doesn't have an elder scroll of an admin record before they start trying to portray something like this, which i've only seen being done unrealistically

I dont know what the point of this meme is, I can provide you with multiple links of eye-witness/news reports referring to teenagers that have killed somebody or tried to do so, Im not saying that its right to RP a successfull murder by using a firearm for the first time in your characters life, people could easily use /flipcoin in order to choose If their shot misses or hits the possible victim, using a firearm for the first time in your life will scare you, your knees and hands will shake, you'll probably piss your pants, also people should keep in mind that killing someone will eventually lead to deep feelings of guilt, some people also report about "avoiding meat" for several days/weeks after their first murder to not throw up, there are several ways to RP a murder/homicide realisticly.

from my point of view there are mistakes on both sides, I know many underage characters that do a pretty good job and are unique in their ways of RPing but I also know underage characters who act like 47 year old vets that just came home from Syria.

On the other hand I know people who portray adults and fail to show of fear towards an teenager with a gun or a knife, or even gangmembers that wont show any fear if your character is a women.

There are problems on both sides, Setting an age bar will change nothing besides destroying realistic and good characters because of a little amount of Idiots.

#grammarK

Edited by Enrique

IRL if a 13 or 14 year old got caught for robbery or have weapon cops will taze them lol, and most teenagers would get prison time.  Video right here proves that . 14 Year old and his buddies rob a delivery woman, he wanted the car and the money his words after his dumbass put it on social media. He's facing 20 years in prison at 14.  America don't play when it comes to this shit, I know I live here. 3 different people below

Edited by BigDrip

This leads into the general argument of the terrible aspects of underaged roleplayers. Some are chill, they roleplay properly, they aren’t idiots about it, etc. And it’s a shame that the entire area of underaged roleplay isn’t filled with that sort of personality, someone who actually knows what they’re doing and not just roleplaying a 28 year old in a 14 year old’s body. However, on the other side of this coin, you have really annoying examples of people who just do exactly that, roleplay an adult with all the IC precautions and protections that comes with roleplaying a kid. Plus, there’s an, admittedly small, but even worse side of this kind of roleplay that allows people to engage in very disgusting acts with other people while roleplaying a minor. 

I get that gang roleplay likes to use minors as a source of roleplay, and thats cool, there have been some amazing character stories to come out of it. But it just doesn’t make any sense to allow people to roleplay minors when there are so many OOC issues with it and it’s rarely done properly. I think there should be an age limit, at least at 16 or 17.

1 hour ago, Enrique said:

using a firearm for the first time in your life will scare you, your knees and hands will shake, you'll probably piss your pants, also people should keep in mind that killing someone will eventually lead to deep feelings of guilt, some people also report about "avoiding meat" for several days/weeks after their first murder to not throw up, there are several ways to RP a murder/homicide realisticly.

Could we stop using movies as an example for realistic RP? No not everyone is an empathic caring human being that will feel remorse after killing someone. 
Quite the opposite, the majority wouldn't blink an eye. Travel around look at the world and you see that your first world countries propaganda in movies is meant to scare us away from killing each other over every non-sense.

Sounds harsh but don't be so naïve and project an empathic persons traits onto every character.

Edit
How I like to refer to it in German:  "Volkserziehung" 

Edited by Arabella

If PD takes juveniles as adults and proceeds to punish juveniles just like they punish adults, then there should be an IC backlash, not an OOC one. I believe you should roleplay however your character would act on that one, be it an enforcing or a merciful approach. I believe everybody can pretty much build their characters as believable as they can and in this situation I don't think reaction should be OOC, but it should be IC.

• Applaud 1
Just now, Arabella said:

Could we stop using movies as an example for realistic RP? No not everyone is a empathic caring human being that will feel remorse after killing someone. 
Quite the opposite, the majority wouldn't blink an eye. Travel around look at the world and you see that your first world countries propaganda in movies is meant to scare us away from killing each other over every non-sense.

Sounds harsh but don't be so naïve and project an empathic persons traits onto every character.

On this...

Miami SWAT (it's on Amazon) has a very good episode where in it, they arrest 15/16/17 year olds with a full SWAT team response because they murdered a bunch of people in cold blood.